Britton and Gausman down

bpilktree

I think they put Wada in the rotation and move Hammel or Feldman to long relief. Its time for some bold moves.

They didn't trade Arrieta and Strop so they could acquire a long reliever. Wada could go to the rotation eventually if someone really struggles, but I don't think it will happen very quickly, barring an injury to someone now in the rotation.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, I had Ascencio for a few years in OOTP after snagging him in the 2012 Rule 5 Draft and the guy was terrible. Great stuff, no command. Ended up hiding him on the 60 day DL for the second half until rosters expanded and then stashed him at Norfolk where he floundered until he ran out of options. DFA'd him, and Philly(I think) claimed him. No big loss.

Point is, the guy is clearly a bum just like that bum of a bust Gausman ;)

Asencio's BB rate is way down this year from his historical levels. Either he's found something, or it's a statistical fluke that will dissolve as soon as he faces major league hitters. It will be interesting to watch, if he's called up.

They didn't trade Arrieta and Strop so they could acquire a long reliever. Wada could go to the rotation eventually if someone really struggles, but I don't think it will happen very quickly, barring an injury to someone now in the rotation.

I don't think Buck wants two lefthanded long relievers in McFarland and Wada. I think Buck would like more balance in the starting rotation with two lefthanded starters in Chen and Wada. Buck has said he wants a righthanded long reliever. With Gausman being sent down Feldman or Hammel seem to be candidate for long relief.

I disagree that the O's didn't trade Strop and Arrieta for a long reliever. Strop was a thrower would could not control his pitches, was out of options and was not helping the O's pitching staff. Arrieta had not shown he could be a major league starter after many chances. Both were moved to get a more reliable pitcher.

Whether Feldman is better for the team in the rotation or long relief is yet to be determined. Hammel has yet to show this year that he can perform in the rotation to the level required to hold a spot. They are both on the on the bubble as far as being in the rotation IMO.

Feldman's first half with the Cubs showed he pitches well versus losing clubs but gets hit hard by clubs with winning records. That has continued with the O's with his good game vs the White Sox and he bad game vs Texas. That appears to be the kind of pitcher he is.

Unfortunately they did trade Arrieta and Strop to acquire a long reliever - and a 3 month rental long reliever at that. The question of interest will be how quickly they admit the mistake and put Feldman in the pen. In all likelihood that won't happen for at least 6-7 Feldman starts - which really hurts as he'll use 6-7 turns at a 5+ ERA in a tight race.

Gausman's outing last night raised his ERA as a reliever from 0.00 to 2.07 - I have no issue with Gausman coming back soon to continue to help the pen. He can help this team in relief and I hope to see him back shortly.

Asencio's BB rate is way down this year from his historical levels. Either he's found something, or it's a statistical fluke that will dissolve as soon as he faces major league hitters. It will be interesting to watch, if he's called up.

My whole post was meant as a tongue-in-cheek jab at posters already proclaiming Gausman a bust based on his very limited portfolio of work in his first month or so at the MLB level. I'm crazy, but not so crazy that I would base players evaluations on OOTP(especially after the one franchise that I played in which Brandon Snyder suddenly developed into Lou Gehrig Jr. at like 28 years old...he must've been hanging around Miami in the offseason).

Hopefully, it's the former instead of the latter though in regards to Ascencio. Could be a huge boon in the second half if what he's showing in the minors translates. :)

Gausman will be just fine, remember, he came out of AA, and has lots of talent. He needs to work on some things. He already credited JJ and O'Day will giving him lots of pointers about pitching in the big leagues.

He has quality big stuff, his future is good.

I agree with you here. Only problem is Feldman isn't much of an upgrade...another 6 inning pitcher with a 5 ERA to replace any of the array of 5th starters they've used. Basically we gave up nothing to get nothing. I give that trade a zero.

Unfortunately they did trade Arrieta and Strop to acquire a long reliever - and a 3 month rental long reliever at that. The question of interest will be how quickly they admit the mistake and put Feldman in the pen. In all likelihood that won't happen for at least 6-7 Feldman starts - which really hurts as he'll use 6-7 turns at a 5+ ERA in a tight race.

Gausman's outing last night raised his ERA as a reliever from 0.00 to 2.07 - I have no issue with Gausman coming back soon to continue to help the pen. He can help this team in relief and I hope to see him back shortly.

Don't act like we gave up anything ....Strop has returned to what he was before last season and Arrieta was a failed high end prospect struggling at AAA.

My whole post was meant as a tongue-in-cheek jab at posters already proclaiming Gausman a bust based on his very limited portfolio of work in his first month or so at the MLB level. I'm crazy, but not so crazy that I would base players evaluations on OOTP(especially after the one franchise that I played in which Brandon Snyder suddenly developed into Lou Gehrig Jr. at like 28 years old...he must've been hanging around Miami in the offseason).

Hopefully, it's the former instead of the latter though in regards to Ascencio. Could be a huge boon in the second half if what he's showing in the minors translates. :)

Not many here are claiming Gausman a bust. But you'd have to be blind if you think he's ready to start in the majors. He needs to keep starting and developing his pitches in the minors. That's what's best for him and the club long term.

I have no idea where you get he not have fastball command. He is a strike thrower who in the minors was amazing it throwing strikes and getting strikeouts and very very few walks.

There is a difference between being a "strike thrower" and having command. Commanding a pitch is when a pitcher can hit his spots with the pitch. Just because a guy throws strikes does not always equate to success. It's the quality of strikes and Gausman makes too many mistakes in the middle of the plate. Last night, he was not helped by Wieters. The 3-2 fastball with first base open to a young hitter like Profar was not a great pitch selection in my opinion. That was the perfect time to call for a changeup, especially with Gausman's penchant to groove fastballs when he needs strikes. If he walks him, oh well, it's 1st and 2nd with one out instead of a runner on second and run in with one out.

Now I didn't see the pitch location of Profar's double because I was at the game and obviously Gauman had some issues getting behind in counts, but Gausman does need better command of all his pitches before he's going to have sustained success in the big leagues.

There is a difference between being a "strike thrower" and having command. Commanding a pitch is when a pitcher can hit his spots with the pitch. Just because a guy throws strikes does not always equate to success. It's the quality of strikes and Gausman makes too many mistakes in the middle of the plate. Last night, he was not helped by Wieters. The 3-2 fastball with first base open to a young hitter like Profar was not a great pitch selection in my opinion. That was the perfect time to call for a changeup, especially with Gausman's penchant to groove fastballs when he needs strikes. If he walks him, oh well, it's 1st and 2nd with one out instead of a runner on second and run in with one out.

Now I didn't see the pitch location of Profar's double because I was at the game and obviously Gauman had some issues getting behind in counts, but Gausman does need better command of all his pitches before he's going to have sustained success in the big leagues.

Profar's double was one of the most ridiculous swings I've ever seen in a situation where the ball traveled that far. It was very well located, down & away and I believe it was a splitter.

This seems like as good a thread as any to register my displeasure at how the Orioles have handled Gausman this year. 8 AA starts, then promoted prematurely to the majors for 5 starts here, a brief demotion to Norfolk, then bullpen duty for 2 weeks up here, now another demotion. For my money, I'd be much happier if he'd made 13-14 starts at Bowie, gotten a promotion to AAA if he had earned it, and if so, by now he would have made about 4 starts with Norfolk. In another month, I'd have been willing to consider him for Baltimore if he seemed ready.

I realize our starting pitching depth hasn't been great, but I really feel we've done Gausman a disservice by bringing him to the majors before he was ready to succeed, yo-yoing him around and mixing his roles in the process. When I watch him pitch, i can see he has a lot of talent and should develop into an above average major league starter -- IF we actually "develop" him instead of jerking him around. But he's simply not ready -- his breaking pitch is not major league quality yet and his fastball command needs to be honed further. I'm just praying they don't wreck this kid -- and I'm not usually one who believes a prospect can be easily wrecked.

Wholeheartedly agree... they way they are treating him you wouldn't know he is a #4 overall pick. I would love to see the O's develop a pitcher in the minors with enough arm strength to come to the majors and consistently pitch 7 innings and occasionly go 8 or even 9.

I agree with you here. Only problem is Feldman isn't much of an upgrade...another 6 inning pitcher with a 5 ERA to replace any of the array of 5th starters they've used. Basically we gave up nothing to get nothing. I give that trade a zero.

I already posted the stats of our starters other than Hammel/Chen/Gonzalez/Tillman a few days ago -- they have averaged under 5 IP per start, with an ERA well over 6.00. I fully expect Feldman to be a big upgrade over that.

I certainly agree that Feldman will get 6-7 starts at a minimum. I don't know why you are prejudging the results for a guy who has a 4.66 career ERA pitching mostly in hitter-friendly parks, and who had a 3.54 ERA for the Cubs this year. To me, you sound just like the naysayers who dissed Joe Saunders last year based on the same logic you're using now.

This seems like as good a thread as any to register my displeasure at how the Orioles have handled Gausman this year. 8 AA starts, then promoted prematurely to the majors for 5 starts here, a brief demotion to Norfolk, then bullpen duty for 2 weeks up here, now another demotion. For my money, I'd be much happier if he'd made 13-14 starts at Bowie, gotten a promotion to AAA if he had earned it, and if so, by now he would have made about 4 starts with Norfolk. In another month, I'd have been willing to consider him for Baltimore if he seemed ready.

I realize our starting pitching depth hasn't been great, but I really feel we've done Gausman a disservice by bringing him to the majors before he was ready to succeed, yo-yoing him around and mixing his roles in the process. When I watch him pitch, i can see he has a lot of talent and should develop into an above average major league starter -- IF we actually "develop" him instead of jerking him around. But he's simply not ready -- his breaking pitch is not major league quality yet and his fastball command needs to be honed further. I'm just praying they don't wreck this kid -- and I'm not usually one who believes a prospect can be easily wrecked.

The handling of Gausman has been very odd to say the least. I can't really think of a top 10 pitching prospect in all of baseball being handled in this particular way by anyone so the Orioles are really on some new ground here. As I've written multiple times, Gausman was brought up too soon and it showed. Hopefully the Orioles have a plan for him because it's clear he's not fully developed yet and they really NEED him to become a TOR. My biggest concern is that he is basically two-pitch pitcher who struggles to command his pitches on a regular basis. He needs to learn how to throw quality strikes and how to pitch just off the plate at times in order to get big leaguers out. Grooving pitches in the major leagues will not work no matter how good.

The talent is there, but he needs more development.

Archived