Britton and Gausman down

bpilktree

I already posted the stats of our starters other than Hammel/Chen/Gonzalez/Tillman a few days ago -- they have averaged under 5 IP per start, with an ERA well over 6.00. I fully expect Feldman to be a big upgrade over that.

I certainly agree that Feldman will get 6-7 starts at a minimum. I don't know why you are prejudging the results for a guy who has a 4.66 career ERA pitching mostly in hitter-friendly parks, and who had a 3.54 ERA for the Cubs this year. To me, you sound just like the naysayers who dissed Joe Saunders last year based on the same logic you're using now.

If your okay with the difference is between a five inning route and a 6 inning 5 run performance fine. I'm just not! I think it was a bad move and I don't even care about what we gave up. The Os needed a difference maker but the purchased a marginal upgrade.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Profar's double was one of the most ridiculous swings I've ever seen in a situation where the ball traveled that far. It was very well located, down & away and I believe it was a splitter.

The scoreboard said it was a 97 MPH fastball. Like I said, I didn't see the location but a change of speeds there would have been a better call in my opinion. That's more on Wieters than Gausman.

If your okay with the difference is between a five inning route and a 6 inning 5 run performance fine. I'm just not! I think it was a bad move and I don't even care about what we gave up. The Os needed a difference maker but the purchased a marginal upgrade.

But what "difference maker" is available that's not a rental? Even rentals will cost top prospects. Are you willing to give up 12 years of possible service for three months of a "difference maker" in a Division as tightly packed as ours?

But what "difference maker" is available that's not a rental? Even rentals will cost top prospects. Are you willing to give up 12 years of possible service for three months of a "difference maker" in a Division as tightly packed as ours?

Tony I get it ....with our MLB system it's hard to trade prospects in order to upgrade your MLB team. I'm certain many here said that Arrieta, Matusz, Cabrera, etc where all untouchable years ago. Are we trying to win or are we looking to the future. If your not trying to win then stick with Britton and hope he develops. Feldman is established as a 5-6 inning pitcher who give up a era of 5+.

Tony I get it ....with our MLB system it's hard to trade prospects in order to upgrade your MLB team. I'm certain many here said that Arrieta, Matusz, Cabrera, etc where all untouchable years ago. Are we trying to win or are we looking to the future. If your not trying to win then stick with Britton and hope he develops. Feldman is established as a 5-6 inning pitcher who give up a era of 5+.

Well, who specifically would you target, and who would you be willing to trade?

Well, who specifically would you target, and who would you be willing to trade?

Garza would be okay for me if he would extend. It's a big if and I'd certainly offer the package mentioned if that was the case. The Orioles have the worst SP in the division and its a problem. I'm not a big league GM ...but with Schoops back injury and our miserable failure at developing starters I think I'd make that deal.

The scoreboard said it was a 97 MPH fastball. Like I said, I didn't see the location but a change of speeds there would have been a better call in my opinion. That's more on Wieters than Gausman.

I'm just guessing based on the way Profar swung at it. It looked to me like he was out on his front foot.

I already posted the stats of our starters other than Hammel/Chen/Gonzalez/Tillman a few days ago -- they have averaged under 5 IP per start, with an ERA well over 6.00. I fully expect Feldman to be a big upgrade over that.

I certainly agree that Feldman will get 6-7 starts at a minimum. I don't know why you are prejudging the results for a guy who has a 4.66 career ERA pitching mostly in hitter-friendly parks, and who had a 3.54 ERA for the Cubs this year. To me, you sound just like the naysayers who dissed Joe Saunders last year based on the same logic you're using now.

Feldman may be able to put up a 4.70 ERA which is his career average after his last bad outing. As you point out he's probably better then what else the O's have to put in the 5th starter spot. But he may not be good enough to get the O's to the playoffs.

I hope Wada is better than Feldman. Feldman and Hammel will then be competing for the 5th spot. The other can be a long reliever.

Stinson gets the nod. Surprising. I bet he gets DFA-ed after. No room in Norfolk.

Well if Stinson is needed in relief tonight, hopefully not obviously, I guess it would be viewed as sort of like a throw day between starts. If he is not needed tonight, he'll pretty much be the right handed long relief guy until the O's figure out a better option.

Stinson will go for Ascencio on the 40 man IMO. They have Britton and Gausman in AAA now, Stinson isn't needed.

On a side note: Gamboa pitches tonight for Norfolk! Yipee! Good luck to him.

Certainly a possibility, I suppose, even more so if Stinson is pressed into duty immediately and the brass feel they need yet another fresh arm for the bullpen. Although Stinson has been pitching well lately down at Norfolk.

Wieters favorite pitch is an outside fastball. I think he's too predictable. Not enough inside fastballs. Gausman walked the leadoff mean in the 7th or 8th. He missed outside with two fastballs. You know the hitter is looking fastball on a 2-0 count and Gausman has an excellent changeup. You wouldn't even have to perfectly locate a changeup there. A fastball? Gausman has already missed with two and knows the hitter is looking for one. Wieters is asking him to locate it on the outside corner. Makes no sense to me. Good hitters catch on to the outside, outside, outside!

To be fair to Wieters, strong fastball command to both sides of the plate is something that only TOR guys have usually.

Archived