Minor League Opinions

stnwall00

Can't really say WHO is Favorite Minor Leauge player is.

There have been many over the yrs. and different reason for liking them..... as in their performance on and off the field, how they interacted with US fans, such as signing autograghs and talking to the kids.... and so on.

Another thing that has not been mentioned about bowie we have the only front office staff in minor league baseball that dances for its fans. Always entertaining.

I have to many players that would rank as favorites for different reasons.

Same thing happens in Delmarva.

Another thing that has not been mentioned about bowie we have the only front office staff in minor league baseball that dances for its fans. Always entertaining.

I have to many players that would rank as favorites for different reasons.

They do it in Frederick too.

big leagues 23 - I'll go ahead and answer your question you had a few posts above.

As far as favorite minor-leaguer, I can't pinpoint just one, but I'll name a few of mine that I've seen come through Frederick:

One night after a Keys-Blue Rocks game (somewhere around 1992-94), we left out of the gate right next to the Blue Rocks lockerroom and walked by the bus. I stopped and talked to a couple of the Blue Rocks players with my dad and they signed a couple autographs. Out of the three guys I talked to, one is still in the majors: Jon Lieber.

Alex Ochoa was a pretty nice guy to talk to and get an autograph from. It helped I won an autographed team bat right around my birthday in June signed by the 1993 Keys by guessing who was second to Curtis Goodwin in stolen bases (Ochoa).

Armando Benitez was cool as well. I really remember just being in awe watching him pitch and then looking like a pipsqueak standing next to him while getting his autograph.

One of my friends that I grew up with was a Keys host family to some pretty interesting guys (Johnny Isom, Brandon Fahey, most recently Fiorentino and I'm not sure who they had this past season). Johnny Isom drove me home to my house one night after a game, and in talking with him, he had an incredible passion for the game and was one of those down-to-earth athletes.

In interacting with the Keys the past three years as a PR Intern and this past season as a reporter for the OH and the Frederick News-Post (albeit one game) I've had the chance to talk to and interact with some really great baseball players.

Chorye Spoone sticks out right away. Was always willing to talk to the media after games and was a great clubhouse leader with his contagious personality. The interview I had with him at the beginning of the season showed me how happy he was just to be a part of the Orioles organization.

Paco Figueroa is another one. Just another positive guy who may not make to the big leagues, but could still do well working somewhere in baseball. He actually got in the Keyote suit in Frederick and ran around and did a between-innings promotion while he was out of action nursing a broken finger.

Matt Bruback is another amazing individual. Here is a guy who was near 30years old pitching in A-ball, loving the life of being on the road with 24 other players and a coaching staff because he loves the game of baseball. One night I sat down with him while he was charting and held an hour-long intellectual conversation with him not just about baseball, but about the stabilizing belt he helped create and other topics, even including religion. Everytime I would come into the lockerroom or if he saw me around the stadium, he would always say "hey" and stop and talk to me for a couple minutes.

It's been fun watching Keys baseball through the good and the bad over the last 17 seasons. I'll definitely be attendance in 2008 watching the next crop of players come through town.

Been to Bowie and Delmarva (live here). As was mentioned earlier you can go to the beach and catch a game in the same day at Delmarva. Fireworks are good, and if you sit in section 101/102 you can get a pretty good show from Delmarva's Favorite Fan as he razzes all the men in blue by name (I forgot his name-dude can throw some beer down too). Can be a pain in the A$$ to get out on fireworks night if you stay for the whole show. Take the dirt road!!!

I took my family to see Bowie a few years ago to visit one of our former live-in S'birds. It was a good experience, higher level of competition, good fans, could basically sit anywhere (at that game) and the food was good. Its also very easy to get to 50-301, find Home Depot and follow the traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had interactions with the players at Bowie. A few summers ago I went to a game and I think Bowie was playing Erie. My friends and I went down to the bullpen and the players were very friendly. They made a deal with us that if we went and bought each of them a bag of peanuts, they would give each of us a ball. And sure enough they gave each of us a ball and autographed them too.

I've only been to the Frederick Keys games. I live 5 miles from the stadium but haven't been in a while. The fireworks were fantastic each time i saw them. The team should be great this year so im looking forward to going.

The stadium recently got some renovation too.

Archived