vs. MARINERS, 8/04

OFFNY

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season has been incredibly frustrating for me. They've never gotten on a roll and I hate watching impatient offenses. I'm starting to think they'll just never get everything going enough to be a real threat this season.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Maybe John Means could masquerade as a healthy Chayce McDermott. https://www.milb.com/player/chayce-mcdermott-694646
    • I’m not sure trading for an impact starter is best use of resources. We still have six starters at the MLB level in Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Irvin, Kremer, and Suarez. Then Povich looks like he deserves a shot if needed.    Burnes, Bradish, GRod are the obvious playoff trio.    further injuries would change things, obviously, but at the moment I don’t see a clear need (and would have to pay handsomely for an upgrade). If someone would want Kremer as a part of the package, then maybe it makes sense. 
    • When Kremer comes back you have Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Kremer, Irvin Suarez in the bullpen.  Povich and McDermott at Norfolk. Absent further injury I don’t see Elias doing what it would probably take for Luzardo.  The relievers like Scott, Harvey, etc. will be cheaper.        
    • The basic story Elias told about Corbin Burnes is that Orioles strategic interest was communicated early in the offseason, and Matt Arnold took a long time (beyond even Milwaukee's successful recruitment of Rhys Hoskins) to decide which path to take. Indefinitely, Mike Elias' basic job is to know the availability and acquisition cost of any of the world's best pitchers, especially relievers as it would be awfully tough to unseat the top 3 starters that are really all the tournament asks of a pitching staff from that role. I don't think we will see the big move until near the deadline because the GM's of some teams playing .501 baseball also want all the mid-July information they can get, and they generally have better relievers than the .375 clubs. Jesus Luzardo would answer a 2025 question but quickly create a 2024 one if him or Grayson Rodriguez is going into the bullpen, a tricky ask Elias might prefer to veer away from. If Suarez/Kremer are really wobbly, the Joe Saunders-Erick Fedde kind of guy would be uncertain for the tournament roster.
    • Not specific to sliders, but if you toggle between 2023 and 2024, you can see his chase rate and whiff rate are significantly improved  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jorge-mateo-622761?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb
    • I updated my post above after realizing I missed their trade suggestion: Bradfield, Povich, and Norby.  I think their proposal is too short on our end.
  • Popular Contributors