Espn 1000: Roberts talks are off

JimboHendry

Just curious why you appreciate his info ... especially if it's wrong?

Yeah I'm not trying to slag on bigbird here but I can't recall one thing he's predicted that's come true yet this offseason. I know things change, but what I'm getting at is maybe his source isn't as "inside" as we'd all like to believe.

I'm more inclined to believe that the deal was never that close to begin with. I don't know why so many sources were reporting to the contrary but it doesn't seem like it was ever close. I just hope this doesn't mean we're gonna start the season with Roberts. Much as I like the guy, I like having a good team even more.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How's that Trachsel trade work out for Hendry?

That trade has been an absolute killer!

Everyone knows the Cubs' 99 year championship drought would be a thing of the past right now if only they had Scott Moore and Rocky Cherry to be our October heroes. They assuredly would not have gotten their asses kicked by the DBacks, and of course they would've cruised past the Rockies and Red Sox if they still had those guys leading cheers from the dugout.

Boy how we miss those two! Life will never be the same!

Just curious why you appreciate his info ... especially if it's wrong?

Anyone that takes anything ANYBODY says regarding MLB trade rumors for gospel is a fool, plain and simple. It's all about having knowledge of the touch and go nature of the business.

And if anyone should know how quickly things change, it's people who read this board.

Period.

You are right, but he has a point.

Bigbird has always been overly dramatic, whether it is threatening to leave after the slightest bit of criticism when he first started posting insider information, or the "bigbird free-agency" thread from a couple years back.

He shouldn't be banned; he shouldn't be reprimanded; he should be praised for his info and he has come a long way from those times. But it hasn't gone away, and so it should not be ignored.

Bigbird provides great information, and for that I am thankful along with many, many others, but I won't blame anyone who doesn't want to believe him.

My only wish is the BB would simply bother to clarify what he means. My only problem is that he seems overly cryptic and ambiguous... problems that just an extra sentence would usually fix...

Because he is right a lot more than he is wrong..Something many of you tend to forget(or just don't understand).

Yeah, it's the guys that have only been around this offseason that are doing all of the questioning and really don't know how to handle this kind of information. They also must not understand phrases like "take it with a grain of salt". I fear our future. :(

My only wish is the BB would simply bother to clarify what he means. My only problem is that he seems overly cryptic and ambiguous... problems that just an extra sentence would usually fix...

He isn't obligated to tell us anything but takes the risk, assuming there is one. So then why would he give us detailed information about what he's heard, putting he and his source and everyone else that gets the info at a risk?

Yeah I'm not trying to slag on bigbird here but I can't recall one thing he's predicted that's come true yet this offseason. I know things change, but what I'm getting at is maybe his source isn't as "inside" as we'd all like to believe.

I'm more inclined to believe that the deal was never that close to begin with. I don't know why so many sources were reporting to the contrary but it doesn't seem like it was ever close. I just hope this doesn't mean we're gonna start the season with Roberts. Much as I like the guy, I like having a good team even more.

But what's the point of slamming the guy? It doesn't accomplish anything but to antagonize a guy who is simply passing along what he hears. Shooting the messenger? Everybody here gets the same info and can make their own decisions on whether or not they think the source is reliable without other people broadcasting that they think a guy doesn't really have a good source.

He isn't obligated to tell us anything but takes the risk, assuming there is one. So then why would he give us detailed information about what he's heard, putting he and his source and everyone else that gets the info at a risk?

Huh? I wasn't saying he was "obligated" to do anything. And I certainly wasn't suggesting that he spill the beans in a way that ID's his source. I was just *wishing* that he'd be better at just being clear about what he actually means, that's all.

His information is intentionally ambiguous to protect his source until such time his source is ok with full disclosure.

Like anyone here I am happy to hear what BB has to say. While its apparent that his guy is still trying to figure out AM nobody will get them all right as things seem to change fast. I'd hate for him not be hesitant to give us anything as he is disturbed by the Critics.

No one is saying to give details of the conversation with his contact or anything. It's when he gives obvious inside info and then ends it with something ambiguous only to leave the thread and let it evolve into speculation only to come back later and say it was just his opinion. We appreciate the info he gives but he should also try and separate his opinion from his info.

It makes no sense for Mcphail to eliminate the cubs, even if he had a better offer on the table from the Indians. You don't eliminate the competition. You play them against one another as quietly as possible. The only reason you tell the cubs "no" is if you've accepted another deal. So unless we have another deal "done", this makes no sense unless Roberts has been pulled back. And at this late date, what's the deal about Bedard going first. After 6 weeks of this stuff, you'd think they would have come up with a way for that not to be the Sticking point. I smell Angelos, but hope I'm wrong.

His information is intentionally ambiguous to protect his source until such time his source is ok with full disclosure.

Oh, I don't buy that, personally. I think he just doesn't like to type any words above the absolute minimum, that's all. And it often results in people (well, me anyway) not even being sure what he means.

Now, I'm *not* suggesting that he use *too many* words (like I do). I just wish he would use the right amount of words, no more, no less ;-)

Archived