Buck's Questionable Use Of The Pen

LookitsPuck

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a by-product of Buck creating a bullpen of 1-inning relievers.

Without starters who pitch into 7-8th innings, you wind up using 3-4 relievers a game. If you try to avoid pitching on back to back days, then it's basically an every other game scenario for the bullpen.

What happened to middle-relievers who could go more than 1-inning?

Patton used to be that guy, but Buck has curtailed that practice. Last year at this date, Patton had pitched more than 1-inning in 17 appearances which was roughly 40% of his appearance load. This year, Patton has not gone 2 innings since June 17th.

Excellent Post

The O's needed to be able to get 2 innings min out of Hunter, Matusz, and Patton but they have all failed or Buck failed to build them up to that role.

In the case of Matusz he seems to be lucky to get out one or two batters before he is spent. Hard to believe he was ever considered a prospect starting pitcher.

Excellent Post

The O's needed to be able to get 2 innings min out of Hunter, Matusz, and Patton but they have all failed or Buck failed to build them up to that role.

In the case of Matusz he seems to be lucky to get out one or two batters before he is spent. Hard to believe he was ever considered a prospect starting pitcher.

:agree: On top of that I can't wait to see Matusz offered in trade whatever

I think K-Rod is the only guy who will be a free agent in 2014. I expect to see most of these guys back. They have not been as dominant as last year, but they are still above average.

Unfortunately everybody chose the same day to melt down last night, wasting a decent start by Feldman. Unfortunately he could not get a few more outs and put pressure on the BP.

That said, I agree with the OP. If Buck goes to TJ on Sunday, then he can go to K-rod today, and that may have been the difference on Monday. Very disappointing loss, but no need to panic. That's what separates us from Yankee fans :)

They have major decisions to make regarding JJ and arbitration, what to do with Matusz, we still don't know what TJ is because of this artificial Rule 5 status, but I see him in Norfolk next year. Patton maybe back, hunter back, Krod likely not because again we are sure not using him very much to go to those kind of dollars. DOD back, but like Chad Bradford, after awhile of seeing his submarine stuff, his effectiveness likely to be less than it has been.

No panic, but still, we have gone 23-22 in last 45 games and now must likely get to 27-17 in remaining 44 against stiffer competition. Hard road to hoe with bullpen blowups and starters again having a time going long.

Why no arm called up in case of extra innings today?

Would it have mattered? You wanted TJ to pitch one inning there? On the broadcast they said they were looking to call someone else up tomorrow. I think you had a good point about not using TJ yesterday but you're really reaching now.

Why no arm called up in case of extra innings today?

Well that one is a byproduct of Buck inexplicably valuing Casilla, who has no business on a major league roster, even during play at National League parks. No reason to carry 3 infielders when Flaherty is so versatile, and when Casilla is so horrible. Buck manages the bullpen poorly, and manages the roster/lineup fairly poorly as well. Markakis isn't a 3-hitter, Davis shouldn't be hitting 5th even though teams inexplicably continue to pitch to him with weak protection behind him, and Buck continues to use a mediocre reliever to close games. Buck has cost us a solid 8-10 games this season and it's inexcusable with the #1 defense, top 5 offense, and very good bullpen to be in the position we're in.

Well that one is a byproduct of Buck inexplicably valuing Casilla, who has no business on a major league roster, even during play at National League parks. No reason to carry 3 infielders when Flaherty is so versatile, and when Casilla is so horrible. Buck manages the bullpen poorly, and manages the roster/lineup fairly poorly as well. Markakis isn't a 3-hitter, Davis shouldn't be hitting 5th even though teams inexplicably continue to pitch to him with weak protection behind him, and Buck continues to use a mediocre reliever to close games. Buck has cost us a solid 8-10 games this season and it's inexcusable with the #1 defense, top 5 offense, and very good bullpen to be in the position we're in.

Not sure what you have been watching, but we definitely do not have a very good bullpen this year.

Would it have mattered? You wanted TJ to pitch one inning there? On the broadcast they said they were looking to call someone else up tomorrow. I think you had a good point about not using TJ yesterday but you're really reaching now.

Who knows? Easy to say after the fact. But the bullpen management over the last few games has been deplorable. Roster management as well. Chalk it up to Buck's fascination with carrying Roberts, Flaherty and Casilla essentially limited our bench and bullpen. Chalk it up to Buck's mop up duty with Krod unless he has a hand forced....chalk it up to Buck falling in love with the save rule. Chalk it up with the fixation with not playing the matchups.

Will be interesting to see who they demote. Matusz and Flaherty have options. Casilla could be DFA. Johnson or McFarland could develop injuries.

Not sure what you have been watching, but we definitely do not have a very good bullpen this year.

We have a very talented bullpen, but Buck has sabotaged it with his management of it. Most teams outside of the Royals would kill to have O'Day, Hunter, and K-Rod. Matusz and Patton are nothing special, but they have pitched decently overall, about league average or slightly worse, but with O'Day, Hunter, K-Rod, and Johnson in a more appropriate role, overall the bullpen is very talented.

The problem is that Buck brings in relievers too late (mostly with Chen, very frequently with Hammel early in the year), and frequently in incorrect situations - using the wrong guy in the wrong situation frequently (he's used K-Rod poorly ever since he arrived, and tonight was the first time he used K-Rod in an ideal situation since we acquired him). O'Day and Hunter's effectiveness haven't been leveraged well enough because Johnson has thrown away so many wins, and that's on Buck. He should be the first guy to see that Johnson is not a great closer, and he should have known that starting with the ALCS last year. He's had several chances to make changes after Johnson's barrage of blown saves after the first month or so of the season, then again against the Yankees when we blew the 3-1 lead, and he continues to refuse to make the right move.

He's a bad bullpen manager, and his inability to make the correct adjustments have gotten him fired from winning teams twice before. He deserves to be fired again based on how terribly he has managed the team this season, but that won't happen for a long time because most fans are blind to his weaknesses, and because he helped turn the franchise around. The last two teams to fire him because of his ineptitude won World Championships soon after. If Buck doesn't change his ways - and I don't know why he would given how stubborn he is - I hope the Orioles follow suit.

Who knows? Easy to say after the fact. But the bullpen management over the last few games has been deplorable. Roster management as well. Chalk it up to Buck's fascination with carrying Roberts, Flaherty and Casilla essentially limited our bench and bullpen. Chalk it up to Buck's mop up duty with Krod unless he has a hand forced....chalk it up to Buck falling in love with the save rule. Chalk it up with the fixation with not playing the matchups.

So basically were going to criticize him for things that didn't even happen now.

We played the matchups with the BP the past few games. Look where that got us. KRod has looked horrible for the most part until the past couple games. No offense, but most of this is just nonsense. imo. Newsflash, the BP isn't very good this year. I'm not sure another crappy one from Norfolk would matter all that much.

Will be interesting to see who they demote. Matusz and Flaherty have options. Casilla could be DFA. Johnson or McFarland could develop injuries.

I'm not sure if they will or not. They said it was going to be based on what happened today. I'd assume everybody is available tomorrow based on what happened today.

The questionable use goes back to the blowout vs the Giants and the first game vs AZ. Twice he had an opportunity to use McFarland and didn't do it. Against the Giants he used Rodriguez. Why? And when Feldman only went 5.1 he could have brought him in then ready to take him out if he got into trouble. We had a two run lead. He's supposed to be the long man but he doesn't use him when we get short starts and has to bring him into games like tonight when the rest of the BP has been used up.

Last year you had a bunch of guys having career years other than Ayala and O'Day. Johnson, Strop, and Patton had never enjoyed the level of success they did like last year.

The questionable use goes back to the blowout vs the Giants and the first game vs AZ. Twice he had an opportunity to use McFarland and didn't do it. Against the Giants he used Rodriguez. Why? And when Feldman only went 5.1 he could have brought him in then ready to take him out if he got into trouble. We had a two run lead. He's supposed to be the long man but he doesn't use him when we get short starts and has to bring him into games like tonight when the rest of the BP has been used up.

Last year you had a bunch of guys having career years other than Ayala and O'Day. Johnson, Strop, and Patton had never enjoyed the level of success they did like last year.

Again, I definitely agree with this point/criticism. Not using McFarland in this capacity (along with some of the short starts) has residual effects. Although TH was probably intended to be the long man (at least 2 innings yesterday).

Archived