Orioles RISP Tracking Thread

JTrea81

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TThey are not making pitchers sweat consistently enough when they get runners on

They need to make them sweat 'til they bleed. Is that dope enough for you?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LaTGrV58wec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for going into the numbers instead of making a post critiquing the poster. As for how to fix the pattern, the Orioles have to adjust plain and simple. They are not making pitchers sweat consistently enough when they get runners on, and by that I mean, their approach that Adam Jones thinks they shouldn't change is causing them to hit bad pitches for outs or swing at poor pitches for strikes because they want to hit the ball out of the ballpark. Case in point, the Orioles have 0 walks with the bases loaded - zero. That's last in baseball. Detroit has 17 for the best and all other playoff contenders have 5 or more. If they would make the pitcher work and force them to make a mistake instead of trying to make something happen, the team would benefit greatly IMO. Until then teams will continue to allow Orioles batters to hit pitches for solo HRs and then allow them to get themselves out with runners on by being too aggressive at the plate. If the Orioles want a .500 season the rest of the way, they can continue to hit just like they are now.

Now you are venturing back into the macro issue, which is that we have some free swingers and do not have players that are OBP friendly. Thats a pill that has already been swallowed. That is not something you can just change mid season. Further they have actually been slightly better in that regards overall since the Allstar break (.318 OBP vs .316).

As for Jones, his OBP is higher since the All star break and his OBP is higher by 30 points with RISP His overall walk rate for the year is about 3%. With RISP it is 5%.

If you are arguing that the team overall should focus more on OBP, I think you would have some supporters but your argument seems to be that players should change their colors when runners are on. The team is on pace to score 50 runs more than last year and are on pace to give up 15 runs more. I would say that the offense however you want to slice it has held up their end of the bargain.

Thanks for going into the numbers instead of making a post critiquing the poster. As for how to fix the pattern, the Orioles have to adjust plain and simple. They are not making pitchers sweat consistently enough when they get runners on, and by that I mean, their approach that Adam Jones thinks they shouldn't change is causing them to hit bad pitches for outs or swing at poor pitches for strikes because they want to hit the ball out of the ballpark. Case in point, the Orioles have 0 walks with the bases loaded - zero. That's last in baseball. Detroit has 17 for the best and all other playoff contenders have 5 or more. If they would make the pitcher work and force them to make a mistake instead of trying to make something happen, the team would benefit greatly IMO. Until then teams will continue to allow Orioles batters to hit pitches for solo HRs and then allow them to get themselves out with runners on by being too aggressive at the plate. If the Orioles want a .500 season the rest of the way, they can continue to hit just like they are now.

Do you believe that the players the Orioles have right now can meaningfully change their basic approach at the plate in mid-season? And if your answer is yes, why have they not done so previously?

I dont know if its been mentioned it is there any way to quantify RISP as it applies to close or tied games? I feel the Orioles RISP numbers

could be inflated once the game is out of hand one way or another. They used to call it"LATE INNING PRESSURE SITUATIONS".I dont know if

there is a number to show how often we hit well when the game is on the line.

Late and close: .768 OPS, compared to .757 overall (Late and Close are just total AB's, though, not necessarily with RISP).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=BAL&year=2013

Now you are venturing back into the macro issue, which is that we have some free swingers and do not have players that are OBP friendly. Thats a pill that has already been swallowed. That is not something you can just change mid season. Further they have actually been slightly better in that regards overall since the Allstar break (.318 OBP vs .316).

As for Jones, his OBP is higher since the All star break and his OBP is higher by 30 points with RISP His overall walk rate for the year is about 3%. With RISP it is 5%.

If you are arguing that the team overall should focus more on OBP, I think you would have some supporters but your argument seems to be that players should change their colors when runners are on. The team is on pace to score 50 runs more than last year and are on pace to give up 15 (actually 12) runs more. I would say that the offense however you want to slice it has held up their end of the bargain.

Actually they are on pace to give up 40 more earned runs. The phenomenal defense has prevented total runs from being much worse.

Wait, what? Pitchers are allowing us to hit solo bombs?

mindblown-kramer.gif

My friend, this is a message board and everyone here is absolutely entitled to their opinions. You are not however, entitled to your own facts. And you certainly are not entitled to completely fabricate drivel to make a point.

Very few people understand this. And saying IMO does not a fact make.

Do you believe that the players the Orioles have right now can meaningfully change their basic approach at the plate in mid-season? And if your answer is yes, why have they not done so previously?[/

They could change if they were told to change. Just like all the pitchers had to alter their deliveries to speed up time to home plate.

Buck and his staff are too hands off when it comes to plate approach it seems...

They could change if they were told to change. Just like all the pitchers had to alter their deliveries to speed up time to home plate.

Buck and his staff are too hands off when it comes to plate approach it seems...

So your baseline assumption is that the Orioles' organization, manager, coaches, and players are stupid. That all they require is someone to suggest that they be more patient and suddenly they will be more patient. It just didn't occur to anyone in the organization that having an OBP that was much higher would be of any benefit.

I think you are being condescending and naive. It is inconceivable (and I do know what that word means) that the Orioles organization didn't get the memo that being more selective is a good thing. You're somehow suggesting that the entire franchise, one that brings in hundreds of $millions in revenues and went to the playoffs last year and employs any number of very bright and successful people, either completely missed or completely ignored the last 20 years of baseball research.

Of course the real answer is that there's nothing meaningful the team can do to change their fundamental approach at the plate without dramatically altering the makeup of the roster.

Really? You think teams are taking an approach where they allow the Orioles to get men on because they feel it will be easier to get them out that way instead of with the bases empty? Seriously where do you get this stuff from and why hasn't a major league team offered you a job yet?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

Archived