JJ Hardy is ridiculously underpaid - And a Silver Slugger- And third in the Platinum glove voting.

Frobby

It is what WAR costs on the free agent or arbitration market. Not what it adds to the owner's take.

Well I guess this is something stupid the agents have put forth as it certainly isn't logical and no team that followed this exists. Because if they did everyone would have 200+ million dollar payrolls. A replacement team is 40 wins right? So if you are saying it 5.2 million per WAR then to have a .500 team it would be 41 * 5.2= 213.2 million dollars.

So you see how ridiculous the argument that JJ Hardy is worth 16 million. No one would pay him that. It is financial sense to pay him that. He isn't a free agent. He wouldn't get that much in arbitration.

And to say he is worth that much still doesn't have anything to do what someone is willing to pay him. What he is worth to the Orioles is how much extra attendance he can bring in and how many JJ Hardy jerseys they would sell over what some AAA player would. He might be worth more to the Yankees he might be worth less to the Blue Jays.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I guess this is something stupid the agents have put forth as it certainly isn't logical and no team that followed this exists. Because if they did everyone would have 200+ million dollar payrolls. A replacement team is 40 wins right? So if you are saying it 5.2 million per WAR then to have a .500 team it would be 41 * 5.2= 213.2 million dollars.

So you see how ridiculous the argument that JJ Hardy is worth 16 million. No one would pay him that. It is financial sense to pay him that. He isn't a free agent. He wouldn't get that much in arbitration.

WAR is not wins. Replacement is not AAAA.

WAR = Wins above replacement.

They're not wins. If you add up every Orioles WAR this year it does not equal 85. It's a scale.

Starrett6-inchRuler.jpg

Then, correct me if I'm wrong anyone, they take the total salary of all MLB players and divide it out by WAR. It comes out to $X million per WAR. It's at $5.2 mill this year.

And to say he is worth that much still doesn't have anything to do what someone is willing to pay him. What he is worth to the Orioles is how much extra attendance he can bring in and how many JJ Hardy jerseys they would sell over what some AAA player would. He might be worth more to the Yankees he might be worth less to the Blue Jays.

This is why I haven't tremendously missed not having access to the Hangout at work for a month or so. You have been here how long and you're angrily railing against what's a Modern Baseball 101 (ok maybe 201) concept?

You should read one of the dozens of threads on this topic over the years and get back to us.

This is why I haven't tremendously missed not having access to the Hangout at work for a month or so. You have been here how long and you're angrily railing against what's a Modern Baseball 101 (ok maybe 201) concept?

You should read one of the dozens of threads on this topic over the years and get back to us.

It is unbelievable to me that he still doesn't understand the concepts we are discussing.

It is unbelievable to me that he still doesn't understand the concepts we are discussing.

Well I am intererested in economics and that is the only place where the discussion of whether a player is overpaid or underpaid comes into play. Your concepts are wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble. But no way is JJ Hardy economicly worth 16 million per year.

They're not wins. If you add up every Orioles WAR this year it does not equal 85. It's a scale.

Starrett6-inchRuler.jpg

Then, correct me if I'm wrong anyone, they take the total salary of all MLB players and divide it out by WAR. It comes out to $X million per WAR. It's at $5.2 mill this year.

If that is true it does not mean players are worth 5.2 million per WAR. Some players are grossly overpaid. That doesn't mean other teams have to grossly overpay players. The Rays pay less per WAR than the Yankees ,much less. And some players get a ton more money because they are the best players in the game. You would pay more per WAR for a 6 WAR player than a 1 WAR Player.

Well I am intererested in economics and that is the only place where the discussion of whether a player is overpaid or underpaid comes into play. Your concepts are wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble. But no way is JJ Hardy economicly worth 16 million per year.

The going rate for someone to do what J.J. Hardy will do for one season is 16 million dollars. The AVERAGE for that.

So what we have with him is 9 million dollars excess value. Which someone could compensate us for if they were interested in acquiring this asset without an obligation to pay the 16 or a multiple of that.

Since you disagree with the formulas that people agree place Hardy in that range, perhaps you'd like to offer your own set of data points? A table, perhaps of the economic worth of players? How much should Cano make vs Delmon Young (two completely different players)? How much should Brendan Ryan make vs James Loney? How much should Travis Hafner make vs Mike Trout?

If you are calling the concepts wrong, I assume you have a better system to replace it with?

If that is true it does not mean players are worth 5.2 million per WAR. Some players are grossly overpaid. That doesn't mean other teams have to grossly overpay players. The Rays pay less per WAR than the Yankees ,much less. And some players get a ton more money because they are the best players in the game. You would pay more per WAR for a 6 WAR player than a 1 WAR Player.

FREE AGENT dollars. The Rays don't pay anyone free agent dollars because basically their whole team is pre-arb and arbitration year players. The 5.2 figure is what 1 WAR costs on average in FREE AGENCY.

The going rate for someone to do what J.J. Hardy will do for one season is 16 million dollars. The AVERAGE for that.

That is because the Yankees and Angels pay people an obscene amount of money to guys who don't really contribute much at all. So all of that overpaying players go into average salaries. It has nothing to do with what JJ Hardy is worth.

Archived