JJ Hardy is ridiculously underpaid - And a Silver Slugger- And third in the Platinum glove voting.

Frobby

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a difference a year makes with Nick, a year ago he was probably our best hitter, a complete shot to the guy when he went down. Anyway, Hardy is underpaid but I hope we can sign him to another 3 year deal. I know you don't want to pay for past production, but I think he can reasonably be about the same player for 4 more years, paying him maybe 9 million for his age 32,33, and 34 seasons. Is that too little for him to take? Is that too much to be willing to shell out?

• 2 months later...

It's not just a matter of his individual stats. Hardy has been the unofficial captain of the infield during a very difficult time: multi-year chaos at second base, a rookie third baseman who sometimes loses focus not playing his accustomed position, Reynolds and Betemit clowning around at third, then Reynolds creating a new style at first until Davis took over and had to be broken in. I really shudder to think what the O's infield might have become without Hardy's steady hands, all-seeing alertness, and leadership at short.

I think Hardy should be extended this offseason, but he will obviously have to be paid better this time around. I think DD will end up having to pick between Hardy or Markakis. In my mind, it is a no brainer...Hardy.

It's not just a matter of his "individual" stats. Hardy is the unofficial captain of the infield during a very difficult time: multi-year chaos at second base, a rookie third baseman that sometimes loses focus not playing his accustomed position, Reynolds and Betemit clowning around at third, then Reynolds creating a new style at first until Davis took over and had to be broken in. I really shudder to think what the O's infield might have become without Hardy's steady hands and leadership at short.

Good points! JJ is a real anchor. A leader out there.

The idea that Casilla could beat out Hardy in an "open competition" for SS is laughable. calmunderfire doesn't seem to realize just how good Hardy has been defensively, not just this year but over his entire career. The guy is an elite defensive SS, who hits well for a shortstop.

Manny's a slightly different issue. We haven't seen him play SS at the major league level, and have no idea how he'd be compared to Hardy defensively. But it's a moot point, because Hardy is a Gold Glove SS and Manny is playing 3B at a Gold Glove level, so there is absolutely no reason to change anything while Hardy is still here.

You are right on so many levels.

Good points! JJ is a real anchor. A leader out there.

There are so many small ways his alertness and steadiness helps us. I always admire the way he calls in throws from the outfield and relays them like lasers home and also his smooth, fearless picks of Wieters' throws down on stolen base attempts.

As much as I love Hardy, I'm not sure it's in the club's best interest to sign him to another extension. One more year, maybe, but another 3-year deal is going to cover his age 32-34 seasons.

Consider his skill set: a low BA, low OBP hitter with great pull power and elite defense. His best tools are going to be the ones that decline first. When Hardy can't catch up to that inside fastball anymore, he will only be in the line-up for his defense. But how long will it remain at an elite level?

If the Orioles make a qualifying offer to Hardy after 2014, he could come back or we could get a pick. But I don't think another 3-year deal is in the best interests of this club, unless it's an incredibly team friendly.

I think that's a mistake. We got a bargain for 3 years. 2/20 could be the opposite. One thing we have is young infielders in Schoop, Machado, and Flaherty. We need to save money where we can and spend it where we really need it.

Sounds like you are expecting Flaherty and Schoop to put major league numbers by next year. That is a gamble. I'd rather bet that Flaherty or Schoop could hold down a starting job then betting on both of them. The O's have the money to keep Hardy along with the rest of the core. The payroll will have to increase a little but if they keep winning and with the 25m in additional TV revenue that helps a lot.

There are so many small ways his alertness and steadiness helps us. I always admire the way he calls in throws from the outfield and relays them like lasers home and also his smooth, fearless picks of Wieters' throws down on stolen base attempts.

I think it was Palmer talking about how JJ catches the ball with his glove moving away from the throw, towards the runner. Swipe tag before he even has the ball.

As much as I love Hardy, I'm not sure it's in the club's best interest to sign him to another extension. One more year, maybe, but another 3-year deal is going to cover his age 32-34 seasons.

Consider his skill set: a low BA, low OBP hitter with great pull power and elite defense. His best tools are going to be the ones that decline first. When Hardy can't catch up to that inside fastball anymore, he will only be in the line-up for his defense. But how long will it remain at an elite level?

If the Orioles make a qualifying offer to Hardy after 2014, he could come back or we could get a pick. But I don't think another 3-year deal is in the best interests of this club, unless it's an incredibly team friendly.

3/25+. I'd even add a team or incentive option. JJ is there. Keeps MM at third too, which I'm hoping for.

McKechnie managed a bunch of NL teams from 1922-46, including the Braves, Pirates, Reds, Cards. Plus a year in the Federal League. I'm really just going off of a story from the Historical Baseball Abstract, but I think this was mostly in his years in Boston. The Braves/Bees were pretty resource-constrained. But I'm not sure exactly what year(s) he did this - a quick search didn't reveal anything obvious.

This intigues me - off the top of your head, did his pursuit of the best defensive team have a noticeable effect on the performance of pitchers? It'd be interesting to see how pitchers did with his defenses (assuming he succeeded) compared to how they did for other, less defense concious clubs.

JJ Hardy is a great player and I would definitely want to keep him on our team, but I could also see a trade being at least something to consider. I have always thought that St. Louis would be a good destination for him. They have a lot of young pitching. I wonder if a trade of Joe Kelly for JJ Hardy might work. Or a young hitter - Matt Adams would look good as the LH hitting DH.

What about Matt Adams/Kolten Wong for Hardy? Wong takes over 2B, Schoop goes to 3B, and Machado at SS.

If they keep Hardy I will be happy, if DD leverages him into a #3 starter or multiple young pieces to help the team I would be happy with that too.

Archived