JJ Hardy is ridiculously underpaid - And a Silver Slugger- And third in the Platinum glove voting.

Frobby

FREE AGENT dollars. The Rays don't pay anyone free agent dollars because basically their whole team is pre-arb and arbitration year players. The 5.2 figure is what 1 WAR costs on average in FREE AGENCY.

He knows.

No way he could be dim enough to be parts of these threads for years and not know.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The going rate for someone to do what J.J. Hardy will do for one season is 16 million dollars. The AVERAGE for that.

So what we have with him is 9 million dollars excess value. Which someone could compensate us for if they were interested in acquiring this asset without an obligation to pay the 16 or a multiple of that.

An adequate compensation would be a pitcher who could return that multiple if he turns out to be a consistent major league pitcher.

FREE AGENT dollars. The Rays don't pay anyone free agent dollars because basically their whole team is pre-arb and arbitration year players. The 5.2 figure is what 1 WAR costs on average in FREE AGENCY.

JJ Hardy is not a free agent. People overpay players in Free Agency it does not mean they are worth that. Is Pujlos worth what they are paying him? Using GM's making really bad economic decisions have no relevation to what JJ Hardy is worth economically.

What Tampa does is trade Chris Tillman, Jim Johnson, Matt Wieters, J.J. Hardy, Nick Markakis, Brian Roberts, Chris Davis, Adam Jones for guys who might become them in a few years. Or not. But all of them. Not some of them. All of them. They kept Manny.

JJ Hardy is not a free agent. People overpay players in Free Agency it does not mean they are worth that. Is Pujlos worth what they are paying him? Using GM's making really bad economic decisions have no relevation to what JJ Hardy is worth economically.

Ok, this post confirms my suspicions. You're a troll. There is absolutely no way you are actually this dense. Thanks for the education though.

Ok. Let me try this. You want gold. You can. A steal gold. B mine gold. C trade lots of silver for some gold. Or D buy gold for the price that it sells for today. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. Today. That specific price. It's value. Today.

Ok. Let me try this. You want gold. You can. A steal gold. B mine gold. C trade lots of silver for some gold. Or D buy gold for the price that it sells for today. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. Today. That specific price. It's value. Today.

But that doesn't mean gold is worth what it is selling for. If gold is overvalued you have other choices instead of buying gold. The Rays dont' buy gold at the going rates. They choose other methods. It is like Tesla stock is selling for 10 times its value so I should buy it anyway? No that doesn't make sense. And just because Tesla stock is going for 10 times its value it doesn't make Proctor and Gamble worth 10 times its value.

If the Angels, Dodgers, and Yankeess are overpaying for players it does not require me to do the same. I can sit on the sideline and not buy any players. You have to do what makes sense for your team. The Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels might not want JJ Hardy so that leaves you limited markets for him and what teams are willing to pay for him.

I never said I would pay J.J. Hardy 16 million per season.

J.J. Hardy has blemishes. He had several years of poor health. He rediscovered his offensive abilities with Jim Presley.

If we did not have J.J. Hardy, I would hope that Manny or Jon Schoop could play 2/3rds as well at one seventh the price. That would be good business. But I would have to hope. The statistics and probabilities are that J.J. Hardy is more likely to produce that 16 million dollar result.

But that doesn't mean gold is worth what it is selling for. If gold is overvalued you have other choices instead of buying gold. The Rays dont' buy gold at the going rates. They choose other methods. It is like Tesla stock is selling for 10 times its value so I should buy it anyway? No that doesn't make sense. And just because Tesla stock is going for 10 times its value it doesn't make Proctor and Gamble worth 10 times its value.

If the Angels, Dodgers, and Yankeess are overpaying for players it does not require me to do the same. I can sit on the sideline and not buy any players. You have to do what makes sense for your team. The Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels might not want JJ Hardy so that leaves you limited markets for him and what teams are willing to pay for him.

Ok. Change the word gold to the word food. And then tell me that it is not worth what it is worth. Whether you accept the knowledge or not. Gold (food) is WORTH what it sells for. You are not permitted to speculate when you have to have it today. And every day.

Ok. Change the word gold to the word food. And then tell me that it is not worth what it is worth. Whether you accept the knowledge or not. Gold (food) is WORTH what it sells for. You are not permitted to speculate when you have to have it today. And every day.

I need food to survive. I don't need JJ Hardy to survive. There are tons of other choices for my short stop. It might be healthier to eat all organic food but is that the best economic choice for everyone? I could go to Cinghaile every night and pay 100 dollars for my meal or I could buy a can of tuna fish and put it on some whole wheat bread for a couple of bucks. Which is worth more. Well to the guys making 50 million a year the costs are minimal to the guy making 8 dollars an hour they are huge differences. Different baseball teams have different economic situations and some teams don't care whether they make a profit. They treat their business like a toy. Just like some people invest in the stock market never even bother to check the companies financial report before investing you have teams who don't check the potential WAR of a player before signing them to a contract and pay players much more than they are worth.

JJ Hardy is defintitely better than a replacement player forthe Orioles but certainly not 16 million more in profit.. imho. Which is how players should be paid if they are being paid by worth. Anyway I like JJ and I don't have any problem with the team paying him 7 million a year. As the team hasn't raised ticket prices since JJ joined the team I am happy with the situation as it isn't my money.

To prove my point the Houston Astro's are the most profitable team in baseball. This is what happens when you pay players what they are worth:

"The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined."

To prove my point the Houston Astro's are the most profitable team in baseball. This is what happens when you pay players what they are worth:

"The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined."

That is what happens when you don't pay the players.

Hard to do worse when you lose 107 games but they managed.

I figure if they don't sharply increase payroll this season the Players' Union will get involved.

Also, I hope you are not naive enough to take those numbers at face value.

That is what happens when you don't pay the players.

Hard to do worse when you lose 107 games but they managed.

I figure if they don't sharply increase payroll this season the Players' Union will get involved.

Also, I hope you are not naive enough to take those numbers at face value.

The Orioles always were making a lot of money when the team was losing games. I am all for the team spending money and breaking even. But a players value is based on Earnings of team. If you are paying more for players than what you could make with replacement level players than you are overpaying them. You are arguing about what players are worth. Not what top players are getting on the free agent market. You never have to pay for a top player on the free agent market and it probably makes no sense to financially. So I don't see how any of that figures into worth..

Instead of stating JJ Hardy is worth such and such figure you should state if JJ Hardy was a free agent this is what i think he would get in salary.

Why would the Players association get involved. They can pay all their players league minimum and release them when they get to arbitration. THere is nothing in the collective bargaining agreement that states you have to overpay for players. If all the teams got together and agreed to do the same thing there would be lawsuits.

Who cares about loses? We are talking worth.

Archived