JJ Hardy is ridiculously underpaid - And a Silver Slugger- And third in the Platinum glove voting.

Frobby

JJ Hardy is a great player and I would definitely want to keep him on our team, but I could also see a trade being at least something to consider. I have always thought that St. Louis would be a good destination for him. They have a lot of young pitching. I wonder if a trade of Joe Kelly for JJ Hardy might work. Or a young hitter - Matt Adams would look good as the LH hitting DH.

What about Matt Adams/Kolten Wong for Hardy? Wong takes over 2B, Schoop goes to 3B, and Machado at SS.

If they keep Hardy I will be happy, if DD leverages him into a #3 starter or multiple young pieces to help the team I would be happy with that too.

Oooh, Adams and Wong....I like it.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As great as the Hardy trade was, didn't MacPhail try to acuire Barrett, the shortstop of the Devil Rays, first? So yeah, great trade, but a little bit of luck also as he missed getting his first target, unless I've got it wrong?

Jason Bartlett, if I remember... and he balked at trading Reimold for him.

JJ Hardy is a great player and I would definitely want to keep him on our team, but I could also see a trade being at least something to consider. I have always thought that St. Louis would be a good destination for him. They have a lot of young pitching. I wonder if a trade of Joe Kelly for JJ Hardy might work. Or a young hitter - Matt Adams would look good as the LH hitting DH.

What about Matt Adams/Kolten Wong for Hardy? Wong takes over 2B, Schoop goes to 3B, and Machado at SS.

If they keep Hardy I will be happy, if DD leverages him into a #3 starter or multiple young pieces to help the team I would be happy with that too.

The idea of trading Hardy to the Cardinals has been brought up a few times on this (and other boards) mainly because the Cardinals are known to be in search of a good SS. I was originally quite opposed to the idea. I like Manny at 3B and JJ at SS, it gave us a stellar defensive side of the infield along with plus offensive players at each position. Still, the more I think about the potential, the more I like it.

The biggest trade chips the Cardinals have are their young starters. They are loaded at pitching with Wainwright (not young, but still taking a rotation spot), Wacha, Kelly, Miller, Lynn, Rosenthal, Martinez, Garcia, Siegrist, Lyons, Gast...all of them have pitched in the majors in 2013 and all could be starters (though some will stay in the pen). If the Cardinals are going to get a SS via the trade market, they will part with at least one of these arms. I would guess the most likely are Joe Kelly and Lance Lynn.

If you could pull off a trade that brought back Joe Kelly plus, I would be interested. I know some have proposed getting Freese as part of the deal to replace Hardy (with Freese at 3B and Manny at SS). Still, if you can get a Joe Kelly type, your rotation would become:

Tillman, Kelly, Chen, Gonzalez, Norris - that is a reasonable starting five, all young and quite affordable. That allows you more money to funnel into other parts of the team.

Hardy was underpaid

Going forward whomever signs him past 2014 (and I hope it's not the O's) will overpay him.

Hardy offensive game is all about pulling inside fastballs. With just a minor tick down in batspeed he'll become a .275 OBP guy who only hits 10-15 HRs

I hope when Hardy is 33 he'll be somewhere else and we'll be watching a 20 something stud starter that we got in the Hardy trade.

And I don't get all the people who want to bury MM at 3B. Much harder to develop a plus defensvie SS than it is a 3B. Manny is being wasted at SS, and we need to get him there ASAP so he can learn the position and get to GG caliber.

Hardy was underpaid

Going forward whomever signs him past 2014 (and I hope it's not the O's) will overpay him.

Hardy offensive game is all about pulling inside fastballs. With just a minor tick down in batspeed he'll become a .275 OBP guy who only hits 10-15 HRs

I hope when Hardy is 33 he'll be somewhere else and we'll be watching a 20 something stud starter that we got in the Hardy trade.

And I don't get all the people who want to bury MM at 3B. Much harder to develop a plus defensvie SS than it is a 3B. Manny is being wasted at SS, and we need to get him there ASAP so he can learn the position and get to GG caliber.

Manny is a great third baseman. I would not consider him buried there. I think he makes more of an impact there than he would anywhere else. I like keeping Hardy until he declines.

Manny is a great third baseman. I would not consider him buried there. I think he makes more of an impact there than he would anywhere else. I like keeping Hardy until he declines.

What if Manny ends up being Simmons-like at short?

The problem with keeping Hardy until he declines is, if you are lucky, you get at least one year of declined Hardy. If you are unlucky you get 2-3 years of declined Hardy.

Someone with his limited strengths offensively could crash very quickly.

What if Manny ends up being Simmons-like at short?

The problem with keeping Hardy until he declines is, if you are lucky, you get at least one year of declined Hardy. If you are unlucky you get 2-3 years of declined Hardy.

Someone with his limited strengths offensively could crash very quickly.

Like a rocket ship?

[video=youtube_share;OWwOJlOI1nU]

Bartlett! Thanks for the correction. Yep, that was the rumor, Reimold for Bartlett. So again, unless I have it wrong, MacPhail preferred Bartlett to Hardy but the cost was too high and he wound up with his second choice because he could get him on the cheap.

I don't think Andy preferred Bartlett at all. IIRC. It was just timing. Minnesota won the bidding for that Japanese SS, I can't remember his name. Hardy was most likely toast in the Twin Cities (nice FO move! Dump JJ for the shiny new import.) so... MN HAS to trade him. I think they tried to play too much hardball with MacPhail so all of a sudden we start hearing Bartlett rumors. Tick tick tick...... Andy gets JJ for a STEAL!

fishedIn.jpg

Get the net!

Archived