JJ Hardy is ridiculously underpaid - And a Silver Slugger- And third in the Platinum glove voting.

Frobby

I feel sufficiently confident that the young Machado would match or exceed Hardy's performance at Short.

You have to trade quality to get quality.

See this is where I don't see the logic. I of course thinik MM could in a short time match JJ at SS. But then we don't ALSO have a 3Bman who reminds us all of Brooks. Why not keep them both? Even if JJ declines some on both sides of the ball. GG and Silver Slugger at age 31. Heluva teammate and kick your ass on a ping pong table too! Who doesn't want him back?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See this is where I don't see the logic. I of course thinik MM could in a short time match JJ at SS. But then we don't ALSO have a 3Bman who reminds us all of Brooks. Why not keep them both? Even if JJ declines some on both sides of the ball. GG and Silver Slugger at age 31. Heluva teammate and kick your ass on a ping pong table too! Who doesn't want him back?

Because J.J. is aging, has a contract which makes him attractive right now and his value might be inflated due to winning a GG and Silver Slugger (despite not being the best defensive or offensive shortstop in the AL)? Good players get traded all the time. The logic I don't understand is wanting to keep every player on a team that isn't going to win as constructed. If we could move Hardy to the Cardinals for a young pitcher and say David Freese, who has no position with the Cardinals in 2014, I think the O's should definitely listen.

Because J.J. is aging, has a contract which makes him attractive right now and his value might be inflated due to winning a GG and Silver Slugger (despite not being the best defensive or offensive shortstop in the AL)? Good players get traded all the time. The logic I don't understand is wanting to keep every player on a team that isn't going to win as constructed. If we could move Hardy to the Cardinals for a young pitcher and say David Freese, who has no position with the Cardinals in 2014, I think the O's should definitely listen.

Hardy for Lance Lynn, David Freese? Not enough? Too much? Prospect? Maybe Tim Cooney, lefty out of Wake Forest. But my preference is to keep Hardy unless it can't be turned down.

Why would the Cardinals give a up a TOR SP for a one year rental?

Because he could be the missing piece in them winning the WS, and they have an abundance of young TOR type pitchers. Choose wisely and a Hardy trade could put the O's into the WS in 2015 or 2016.

We absolutely should trade JJ Hardy

But don't worry we won't.

Hardy for Lance Lynn, David Freese? Not enough? Too much? Prospect? Maybe Tim Cooney, lefty out of Wake Forest. But my preference is to keep Hardy unless it can't be turned down.

Lynn isn't good so I'd hope to do better. We'd obviously have to add to Hardy but he would seem like an obvious fit for them.

This exact trade was discussed in a different thread. I stated that isn't enough in return for Hardy.

J.J. Hardy will be paid 7 million. He will be worth about 16 million. That is why someone would give up something good for him.

You think JJ would bring the orioles more than 16 million in profit over a replacement level player? I would say your definitely wrong.

1 WAR is worth about 5.2 million dollars. J.J. Hardy will be worth more than 3 WAR.

Nonsense. Every teams economic situation is different. And if you fielded an entire replacement team and then added Hardy your profit would not go up by 15.6 million. I am sure the difference in profit between the orioles winning 58 games and them winning 68 games is not 52 million. You guys are living in a world not related to reality.

Nonsense. Every teams economic situation is different. And if you fielded an entire replacement team and then added Hardy your profit would not go up by 15.6 million. I am sure the difference in profit between the orioles winning 58 games and them winning 68 games is not 52 million. You guys are living in a world not related to reality.

IT isn't nonsense, it the accepted rate used when discussing this topic.

IT isn't nonsense, it the accepted rate used when discussing this topic.

It is nonsense. Do you really think there is any difference in profits between if the Orioles won 68 games or if they won 66 million. Certainly not 10 million in profit. And I am sure the profit margin per win is much different for each team.

It is nonsense. Do you really think there is any difference in profits between if the Orioles won 68 games or if they won 66 million. Certainly not 10 million in profit. And I am sure the profit margin per win is much different for each team.

It isn't about profits.

It isn't even about actual money.

It's a unit of measurement.

It is what WAR costs on the free agent or arbitration market. Not what it adds to the owner's take.

Archived