JJ Hardy is ridiculously underpaid - And a Silver Slugger- And third in the Platinum glove voting.

Frobby

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not arguing about what players are worth.

I never did that in this thread.

You obviously are not reading what I am posting so I am now going to return the favor.

/ignore

That is the whole point of this thread. Players are not worth 5.2 million per WAR. The teams that spend the most in free agency make the least amount of money. So free agent salaries have nothing to do with worth. Teams that have the least business sense are the ones driving salaries. That is why you see the Orioles not in the hunt for free agents as Peter knows how to make money. In fact the O's are at the top of money earners year after year.

For what it's worth, I do think that it's very, very unlikely that JJ would get $16 million as a free agent.

But it is very likely that Hardy would get the multi-year equivalent of one year at $16M discounted for risk due to age, injury, etc. The baseline for starting the calculation for a new contract would be that he was (in retrospect) worth $16M in 2013.

But it is very likely that Hardy would get the multi-year equivalent of one year at $16M discounted for risk due to age, injury, etc. The baseline for starting the calculation for a new contract would be that he was (in retrospect) worth $16M in 2013.

Now that I think about it 1/16 isn't that far fetched. I imagine a number of teams would make him a qualifying offer if he were to hit the FA market.

That isn't 16 but it is in the neighborhood.

Now that I think about it 1/16 isn't that far fetched. I imagine a number of teams would make him a qualifying offer if he were to hit the FA market.

Yeah, that's the next question - if he repeats his 2013 performance, does he get a qualifying offer? The Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers would of course give him one (actually the Dodgers would have already extended him at 7/$150m), but I'm not sure about the O's.

To prove my point the Houston Astro's are the most profitable team in baseball. This is what happens when you pay players what they are worth:

"The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined."

This was a disputed report that calculated TV revenue at 100% saturation, rather the figure of less than 40% of households that team and network figures show. The Astros may not have broken even in 2013, much less broke MLB profit records, according to the team.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Crane-Co-deny-report-of-record-Astros-profits-4763244.php

Stephen Drew is turning down slightly less than that. And in no way is he as good as Hardy.

Yeah, that's the next question - if he repeats his 2013 performance, does he get a qualifying offer? The Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers would of course give him one (actually the Dodgers would have already extended him at 7/$150m), but I'm not sure about the O's.

You would have to. And I think he might decline it. That is only if he is again 3 WAR plus. And healthy.

Why trade JJ when you are on the verge of a great team. Are we still rebuilding? We were Johnsons blown saves away from winning the division. We should be looking at pitching #1 and not stocking the farm system with Hardy and seeing what we have with a guy that just got done breaking his back in the minors.

Why trade JJ when you are on the verge of a great team. Are we still rebuilding? We were Johnsons blown saves away from winning the division. We should be looking at pitching #1 and not stocking the farm system with Hardy and seeing what we have with a guy that just got done breaking his back in the minors.

They finished 12 games behind Boston. If JJ had saved 100% the O's would still not have won the division.

The O's are not good enough at player development, or active enough in Latin America, to maintain a Cardinal/Ray type influx of young talent.

The O's are not going to spend enough to fill multiple holes with Free Agents like the Sox did in 2013.

The O's can not afford to have players in decline on the books with long term contracts.

You have to choose who to keep and who to sell high on.

They finished 12 games behind Boston. If JJ had saved 100% the O's would still not have won the division.

The O's are not good enough at player development, or active enough in Latin America, to maintain a Cardinal/Ray type influx of young talent.

The O's are not going to spend enough to fill multiple holes with Free Agents like the Sox did in 2013.

The O's can not afford to have players in decline on the books with long term contracts.

You have to choose who to keep and who to sell high on.

The O's were almost as unlucky in one R games in 2013 as they were lucky in 2012. Combine a 50% ave. in one R games with a 50% ave. in JJ's BS and we'd have been in it. This is not to say we don't have deficiencies, but we aren't that far away.

Archived