High payrolls win again

GuidoSarducci

What is the point of this? That spending lots of money doesn't guarantee anything? No one is saying it does. Plus, the Angels are probably an even better example of that point, IF that is even your point...

Sure. That is my point. Good Organizations, that spend good money, win a lot. Yeah. That is it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the point of this? That spending lots of money doesn't guarantee anything? No one is saying it does. Plus, the Angels are probably an even better example of that point, IF that is even your point...

And the Angels are a good example of both. Good call.

Oh, and Cito...and Tony LaCava, still suck.

Yeah, I guess my point is, being a high spender doesn't guarantee anything, and certainly a low payroll teams can get to the playoffs. But they don't seem to win, very often.

For all the hoopla about the A's and the Ray's, how have they fared in the playoffs? The Rays did reach the WS, but other than that, the other 3 years they made the playoffs, they lost in the division series.

The As: Since 2000, they have made the playoffs 7 times. Only one of those times did they get to the ALCS.

And then theres the Braves: On another post I was making fun of them, but I didn't realize their payrolls have been pretty modest since the early 2000s, when they were amongst the highest payroll teams in the MLB. Their payroll has been floating between $85-$100 million for the past 10 years. http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

The Cardinals have probably had the most success with the smallest payroll. Still, their payroll has been in the top half of the MLB every year for the past 15 years.

Yeah, I guess my point is, being a high spender doesn't guarantee anything, and certainly a low payroll teams can get to the playoffs. But they don't seem to win, very often.

For all the hoopla about the A's and the Ray's, how have they fared in the playoffs? The Rays did reach the WS, but other than that, the other 3 years they made the playoffs, they lost in the division series.

The As: Since 2000, they have made the playoffs 7 times. Only one of those times did they get to the ALCS.

And then theres the Braves: On another post I was making fun of them, but I didn't realize their payrolls have been pretty modest since the early 2000s, when they were amongst the highest payroll teams in the MLB. Their payroll has been floating between $85-$100 million for the past 10 years. http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

The Cardinals have probably had the most success with the smallest payroll. Still, their payroll has been in the top half of the MLB every year for the past 15 years.

Very good points. And as he has said, "My stuff doesn't work in the playoffs."

If every single team in the playoffs (and I'm just counting after the one-game play-in) had dead even talent you'd have a 12.5% chance of winning the Series. Once in every eight attempts.

High payroll teams are on average a bit more talented than a team like the Rays or A's. But not enough to significantly swing the odds. No team is going to win it all much more often than one in five or six playoff appearances without some luck. The Yanks have dominated the sport in payroll for many years, and they have one WS title since 2000.

I don't really begrudge the Cardinals anything, since their market is comparable to Cleveland, Sacramento, Portland, Pittsburgh. They sustain winning because they're well run, have a long history, and exploit their market as well as anyone.

If every single team in the playoffs (and I'm just counting after the one-game play-in) had dead even talent you'd have a 12.5% chance of winning the Series. Once in every eight attempts.

High payroll teams are on average a bit more talented than a team like the Rays or A's. But not enough to significantly swing the odds. No team is going to win it all much more often than one in five or six playoff appearances without some luck. The Yanks have dominated the sport in payroll for many years, and they have one WS title since 2000.

With the second wildcard it's technically 10% chance. Just sayin'...

I agree that winning the series is probably a high bar ... however, thats not the bar I set. If the As had won a few division series or even made to the series without winning, or the Rays had fared a little better, maybe my point wouldn't be as strong ... But if you look at the playoff records of the As/Rays/Braves compared to the relatively high spending Yanks/Red Sox/Tigers/Giants, I think you can see a clear discrepancy and MLB playoffs aren't really the tossups that alot of people claim.

Here are the cumulative number of playoff wins for each team that made the playoffs in a given year plotted against team payroll for that year. The data cover the period from 1995 through the 2013 LDS (excluding the expanded wildcard games). AS Drungo already said, it does not look like having a big payroll helps very much once you make the playoffs.

Capture1.PNG

Here are the same data summed over all the years from 1995. This is clearly not the correct way of looking at this question partly because the data only include teams that made the playoffs and it is simply saying that the more you make the playoffs the more salary is accumulated along the x-axis. Yet there do not seem to be any strange outliers...e.g. teams that always make the playoffs but exit early. More interesting than anything is probably just the fact that the NYY (the point in the top right corner) have paid baseball players over 2 billion dollars just on teams that made the playoffs since 1995!

Capture2.PNG

Archived