Rosenthal reports Wieters might be traded, O's going after Salty

TradeAngelos

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on what type of MOO bat we are talking about. I don't think the consensus going forward that Werth was a difference making MOO bat going forward, thus why so much outrage was expressed at the contract at the time.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I think he was considered a difference-making bat. Otherwise, I cannot imagine the Nats paying him that kind of money. They weren't getting him because he's Ichiro in the outfield. Anyway, I would agree that Wieters won't get that money, but they'll likely ask for something just a bit under that. Like I've said before, I would love to see us keep Matt, but at a reasonable price. This team is good - and we have stable management. No need to wildly overpay anymore.

But we live in a different time. The brain-injury paradigm has changed dramatically, and teams will only become more cautious in these situations.

We don't know enough about Mauer's situation to second-guess the decision here. My gut reaction is that this is the best thing. What's really interesting, I think, is what this says about catchers, generally. It's possible that the profession of catching in professional baseball might be seen to have a natural limit. Maybe it's 800 games behind the plate, or 1,000 or 1200. But in the absence of radically more protective headgear and many fewer home-plate collisions, the frequency of brain injuries at the position might mean the job just can't be done for more than eight or 10 years.

http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/11/11/5091186/joe-mauer-switching-first-base-twins-catchers-concussions

• 2 weeks later...
I think it is a mistake to just look at one year of stats when evaluating a player for a long term contract. ESPN does a nice job of giving three year splits which I think are valuable to look at Wieters offense.

McCann looks like the best comp for Wieters.

Wieters, 1549 AB, 198 R, 67 HR, 230 RBI, 249/315/434/749, age 27/28 in May

McCann, 1261 AB, 138 R, 64 HR, 195 RBI, 252/329/441/770, age 30 next year

All Stars: 2 Wieters; 7 McCann

Gold Glove: 2 Wieters; 0 McCann

Silver Slugger: 0 Wieters; 5 McCann

Wieters is thought of as a defensive player that hits.

McCann is thought of as an offensive player that catchers.

Wieters plays more games and is more durable to this point in their careers.

Wieters has a much stronger caught stealing percentage: Wieters 37%; McCann 23%

To me Russell Martin is not as close to Wieters offensively but is a good comp defensively.

Martin, 1277 AB, 158 R, 54 HR, 173 RBI, 225/321/395/716, age 31 next year

Caught stealing percentage 31%

3 time All Star

1 Gold Glove

1 Silver Slugger

Summary: Wieters and McCann have similar offensive numbers over the last 3 years with McCann having a slight edge. Wieters is far better at controling the running game. With Martin being 2nd and McCann not that good.

Whatever McCann gets this winter Wieters is probably worth a little more for his defense. Wieters is two years younger and can justify a year or two longer contract if we are looking at his market value.

Bump

I did this comparison for Wieters and McCann a couple of weeks ago. I think its about right. Wieters value is pretty close to McCann's though McCann is the slightly better hitter and Wieters is the slightly better glove man.

As much as I love Wieters, I believe if we can get a good deal on a pitcher for him an sign Salty, our team will be better off. Now, how do you do that? Trade him first and then sign Salty or sign Salty and then make a trade or some combination of the two? What teams matchup with us for the need of a young catcher that they can afford later on with top line pitching we would want?

As much as I love Wieters' date=' I believe if we can get a good deal on a pitcher for him an sign Salty, our team will be better off. Now, how do you do that? Trade him first and then sign Salty or sign Salty and then make a trade or some combination of the two? What teams matchup with us for the need of a young catcher that they can afford later on with top line pitching we would want?[/quote']

Salty was on the entire other spectrum then Wieters in regards to luck with batter balls last season.

You will probably end up with an inferior offensive and defensive player that the team has a longer commitment to and one less pick.

That best be a heck of a pitcher the O's are getting back.

Salty was on the entire other spectrum then Wieters in regards to luck with batter balls last season.

You will probably end up with an inferior offensive and defensive player that the team has a longer commitment to and one less pick.

That best be a heck of a pitcher the O's are getting back.

I agree with you and am not keen on signing Salty, but Salty was not given a QO. No pick involved.

How do you feel about him handling a pitching staff? Boston seemed to do well last year. Isn't that one of Weiter's skills that needs to be worked on?

I don't put a lot of stock into CERA.

For all the talk about how good Molina is, there isn't a huge difference in the OPS allowed by Cards pitching when the backup is in the game.

If you were a team looking for a catcher' date=' what would you give up for him?[/quote']

I hate questions like that.

It would depend on if I had the resources to absorb his salary without it negatively impacting the rest of payroll.

If I was a team with a need for two years of a Catcher and I would be willing to give up quality for him.

I don't want Salty. But I find it odd that you would hold Weiters for 2 years then watch him walk away. Makes no sense to me.

The problem I have with dumping Wieters is the O's have no one in the system even close to being ready to replace him.

There is value in two years of Wieters and a draft pick.

I think that losing Wieters could severely impact the O's chances of competing in 14-15.

If this team was coming off of back to back 70 wins seasons I would be in favor of trading him.

Archived