Rosenthal reports Wieters might be traded, O's going after Salty

TradeAngelos

I hate questions like that.

It would depend on if I had the resources to absorb his salary without it negatively impacting the rest of payroll.

If I was a team with a need for two years of a Catcher and I would be willing to give up quality for him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/22218158/trade-market-will-be-filled-with-starting-pitchers-but-who

Dickey?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem I have with dumping Wieters is the O's have no one in the system even close to being ready to replace him.

There is value in two years of Wieters and a draft pick.

I think that losing Wieters could severely impact the O's chances of competing in 14-15.

If this team was coming off of back to back 70 wins seasons I would be in favor of trading him.

Yep there is some value in that sure.

However, what I feel like your missing, is that without a serious addition to the starting rotation, this club isn't winning anything. Since we know the FA market stinks, the only avenue to make this team a winner, is a trade. Weiters, Markakis, Hardy, Johnson, and any one of our #4 starters are trade bait. Looking at that list, Weiters has the most value AND has made HIMSELF trade bait with his crazy demands. Please don't tell me thats Boras because Boras works FOR Wieters.

If I can obtain a legit #2 for Weiters, he is gone.

I am not saying give him away, I am just saying that its time for him to go.

There are plenty of solid defensive catchers out there. Salty isn't one of those.

The O's would be stupid to not do their due diligence and at least explore what they could get in return for Weiters or for that matter JJ Hardy.

If either one of those guys or a package in which they are the centerpiece can get you a guy who is TOR or on the fringes of it then you have to really really consider pulling the trigger.

You have to make sure though IMO that whatever you get back for either of those guys is going to make you better now OR includes a mega prospect that you just cannot say no to.

My suspicion is that DD will not get enough value to move either guy and if that's the case then I can live with that also.

The O's would be stupid to not do their due diligence and at least explore what they could get in return for Weiters or for that matter JJ Hardy.

If either one of those guys or a package in which they are the centerpiece can get you a guy who is TOR or on the fringes of it then you have to really really consider pulling the trigger.

You have to make sure though IMO that whatever you get back for either of those guys is going to make you better now OR includes a mega prospect that you just cannot say no to.

My suspicion is that DD will not get enough value to move either guy and if that's the case then I can live with that also.

TOR starter is a meaningless term. Use player names that you would expect back.

The exception that proves the rule. Demanding ridiculous salaries and years is all Boras. That's his MO. Wieters just tells him whether to test the market or not. The rest is Boras.

I am pretty sure Boras plays the family card saying this $$$$ will provide for future generations, etc. etc.. He will tell Matt the value of his position and what the open market will bring to him.

I am sorry O's fans... time is running out on Wieters here. :angryfire:

Archived