It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

Sorry to pick you out of a lineup Can but... I don't buy this whole idea on here lately that trading Matt right now is selling low. He is still well regarded (and deservedly so...) as a great defensive catcher. Containing the running game (props to JJ...) and controlling the pitchers and the WHOLE D. Field General. Only ranking behind Buck, Commander of Allied Forces.

That makes DD FDR...

I don't mind being picked out.

When do you think his trade value has been the lowest?

Now I am more then willing to accept that his trade value will decrease further, but if you disagree that his trade value is at an all time low please tell me when you think it was lower.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am surprised with his down season, but now they have Roch quasi convinced.

Where and for who do you think we would find our best trade for him?

The O's will need a catcher if they trade Matt. Sorry Weams. I hope the O's don't

trade him. Weams I know that is not what you asked and I apologize for getting of

target.

The O's will need a catcher if they trade Matt. Sorry Weams. I hope the O's don't

trade him. Weams I know that is not what you asked and I apologize for getting of

target.

No, it cool. I may have been caught up in the hype of this supposed possibility.

Quasi-convinced? "My guess is Wieters will be behind the plate on opening day, but the chances are better that he's dealt than Hardy." http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/11/because-you-asked---city-under-siege.html

While I am glad that the O's seem open to discussing trades involving Hardy and Wieters, I keep remembering that when Dan Duquette arrived and did his initial rounds of interviews, he must have said a hundred times that what he liked about the team was that they were very strong up the middle with Wieters, Hardy and Jones. I don't think he'll give up either one very readily.

I also think a lot of folks are too down on Wieters after a down year offensively. If I'm projecting his performance over the next 3-4 years, I think his career stats are a better indicator than 2013. I guess I just have a longer memory than some posters, and can easily conjure up Brook Fordyce, the latter years of Lopez and Hernandez, and other disasters. You have to be careful what you pay Wieters, but he's likely to be better than whoever we'd get to replace him.

I too remember them Frobby. Keep Matt.

I think this is an attempt by DD to tell Boras and Matt to get real about their asking price. I seriously doubt they trade Wieters during what could be a 2 year window.

The O's will play out his contract and make a fair offer. In the meantime, they'll try to develop their heir at the position and take the comp pick if it comes to it.

I'm all for trading ANYONE if the return is big enough. Wieters included. I think the return would have to be an excellent MLB-ready prospect at a position of need... plus another A or AA guy with a very high ceiling. In other words, these players would have to be around for a long time. I kinda feel like DD got a little trigger happy with his trades this season. I feel like we gave up some a little too much potential for a little too little immediate payoff. Anyway... time will tell.

If Wieters continues to swing an uninspiring bat in 2014, his value will be diminished and the O's will be able to afford to sign him to a long term contract.

What advantage is there to sign him to a long term contract if he continues to swing an uninspiring bat?

I get what you're saying but if we take this to it's logical conclusion, even if he had had a career average season this year, his value would be lower than it would have been at the end of 2012 or 2011 for that matter. Again, amount of service time and cheaper contract come into play. So, even if Wieters had had a .750 OPS this season his value would have been at an all time low.

But if he had a breakout year like Davis did then his value would have been higher despite price and team control. As it is the natural decline in value was exacerbated by the declining numbers.

According to Olney, the O's tried to strike up extension talks for Wieters in Spring Training 2013 and were flabbergasted by a counter-offer in the range of Joe Mauer's eight-year, $184MM deal with the Twins. Coming off the worst offensive season of his career, the price is likely down, but that contractual demand shows that the two sides "are speaking a different languague in negotiations," as Olney puts it.

- MLB Trade Rumors

Certainly doesn't sound like an extension is on the horizon. Classic Boras.

How about Markakis and Weiters to Reds for Brandon Phillips, Devon Mazaroko and Homer Bailey. If we have to swallow some of Markakis contract to get Bailey, so be it. We get a lead off hitter, gold glove second baseman, a controllable catcher and a #2 pitcher behind Tillman and the Reds gets someone to replace Choo and a gold glove catcher.

Choo played CF for the Reds last year (albeit not well). Markakis doesn't replace that.

Archived