It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

I love Weiters, he's a leader and a bad ass, and a total Buck guy. Obviously that $186 million figure is absurd and not realistic, like Cano $300mil, just crazy numbers an agent says while trying to keep a straight face. Who's to say we couldn't match another teams offer when he hits free agency? The 12-13 mil/year figure is probably not far off from his market value.

He doesn't have the bat to play 1st, he's a great defensive catcher, but will need more games off. Let's keep him, play it out, resign him at his market value when he's ready .

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's face it guys, Wieters hits pretty much like a backup catcher (Mark Parent anyone?). Weiters hits for a low average and has good power.
There is no place in rational discussion for this kind of rhetoric.

twinedenter's statement is definitely exaggeration but it's closer than the truth than I thought it was before I researched a bit and closer to the truth than I think most people would believe.

I did a search for catchers with at least 750 PAs over the past three years. There are 33 of those players and Matt Wieters places well in counting stats because he has played so much (5th in WAR, 2nd in HRs). But he falls pretty hard when ranking the rate stats. 20th in OPS, 21st in wOBA.

He's an above average catcher overall, and he'd be a talent upgrade at that position for 20ish teams by my guess. So there should be a good market for him. But on offense alone, there's an argument that he's closer to the bottom of the league than the top.

He's an above average catcher overall, and he'd be a talent upgrade at that position for 20ish teams by my guess. So there should be a good market for him. But on offense alone, there's an argument that he's closer to the bottom of the league than the top.

His insane power is what keep that from happening.

twinedenter's statement is definitely exaggeration but it's closer than the truth than I thought it was before I researched a bit and closer to the truth than I think most people would believe.

I did a search for catchers with at least 750 PAs over the past three years. There are 33 of those players and Matt Wieters places well in counting stats because he has played so much (5th in WAR, 2nd in HRs). But he falls pretty hard when ranking the rate stats. 20th in OPS, 21st in wOBA.

If you are looking at the pool of top 33 catchers (by PA) then you are eliminating the backup catchers.

My guess is that the dropoff from starting catcher to backup catcher is fairly substantial so even if Matt finishes at 20 out of 33 in OPS that doesn't mean his production is anywhere near as low as that of a backup catcher.

I saw where Ruiz almost got $9M a year for three years of his age 34-37 years. I would have liked a Ruiz for his OBP but did not realize it had dropped so far this year. It was very high the year before and his career average is good. Seeing that Wieters is forecast to get $7M in arb, I guess I probably stick with him for at least one more year and try to pair him with a backup catcher that can get on base versus RHP and/or force Wieters to hit righthanded only. Are there any available out there?

Option A: Trade him after a relatively down year, but while healthy and with 2 years left.

Option B: Hope he stays healthy and productive over the next 2 years and get a pick for him.

Each has risk. What will the O's do?

To me this is the most logical way to think about trading Wieters. I'd be all for trading him if we can get a good haul for him. But we don't have to trade him just for the sake of trading him. Over the next two years he's likely to be a pretty good bargain considering what catchers are getting on this market.

To me this is the most logical way to think about trading Wieters. I'd be all for trading him if we can get a good haul for him. But we don't have to trade him just for the sake of trading him. Over the next two years he's likely to be a pretty good bargain considering what catchers are getting on this market.

I don't think anyone here wants to trade him for the sake of trading him.

Unfortunately, he apparently is cool with being a leader-for-hire. Kind of a shame.

I don't know. I think he is betting on himself. Similar to what Flacco did. I think he probably thinks he is better than he has shown in years past. I can't imagine he is going to sign an extension this offseason after the year he had. All it will take is for him to have a huge year this year and he will probably get what he wants from somebody (well maybe not Mauer money) but more than he would get this offseason for sure. I think I am fine with letting him play out the year and seeing where he is next offseason. I just don't see the point in trading him this off-season unless they are overwhelmed.

But on offense alone, there's an argument that he's closer to the bottom of the league than the top.

Thank you Spy and I stand by my statement. The only difference in Weiters and a backup catcher is the number of at bats he gets.

Weiters hit .214 versus right hander's last year, that's over 3/4 of his at bats.

Anyone care to explain to me how that is NOT the hitting prowess of a backup catcher? Not even mentioning his paltry .287 OBP.

Here is a perfect Example: Erik Kratz, who is he? Erik is the backup catcher for the Phillies.

Erik in 2013: 197 at bats / 9 HR / BA .213. With 400ab's, Erik's numbers would look pretty similar to Weiters.

There is no way I would even attempt to resign him. Keep Davis and trade Weiters for pitching.

I don't know. I think he is betting on himself. Similar to what Flacco did. I think he probably thinks he is better than he has shown in years past. I can't imagine he is going to sign an extension this offseason after the year he had. All it will take is for him to have a huge year this year and he will probably get what he wants from somebody (well maybe not Mauer money) but more than he would get this offseason for sure. I think I am fine with letting him play out the year and seeing where he is next offseason. I just don't see the point in trading him this off-season unless they are overwhelmed.

Although I agree with your theory, I see NOTHING in Weiters to make me believe a career year is upon us. His numbers have been eerily similar. His swing from the left side is so long that without adjustments, will never allow him to hit for a solid average.

Trade Weiters now. The extra year is worth more to us on the trade market then would be a solid year from him.

Although I agree with your theory, I see NOTHING in Weiters to make me believe a career year is upon us. His numbers have been eerily similar. His swing from the left side is so long that without adjustments, will never allow him to hit for a solid average.

Trade Weiters now. The extra year is worth more to us on the trade market then would be a solid year from him.

And who catches for the O's next season?

Until Joseph or Ohlman are ready:

Pierzynski

Suzuki

Navarro

Snyder

Clevenger

Or someone from the trade of Weiters.

As I previously stated, a backup catcher can hit close to as well. So, grab a good solid defensive catcher and use Clevenger now and then. He can hit, he is a career .325 hitter in the minors.

Archived