It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You remember during the regular season when I was saying as high as 10 million and folks were saying 8?

(I don't think they can win at 10.8 if the O's give a reasonable number)

Can you imagine what Russell would do with all those blown saves? And the fact that the Orioles missed the post season because of it? ;)

Wieters will get around 8M in arb. this year. If he has another mediocre season with the bat, he'll get about 10M next year and that will be pretty much what he can expect on the FA market for 5 years. If he has a .750 OPS or better, then he can look for 12-15M per as a FA. The 180M is pure Boras BS, and not to be taken too seriously, IMO. The problem in gauging his value is the problem of gauging the value of his defense. Too many intangibles that ML GM's take seriously, and OH experts do not.

Thought this was worth mentioning and didn't see it posted anywhere. Tom Loxas, a blogger out of Chicago is saying that he's hearing talks between the cubs and O's regarding Wieters and Samardzija. Interesting idea although I have to think we'd get more in return for MW than just Samardzjia. Maybe Samardzjia and Castro? I'd probably do that deal. Thoughts?

Thought this was worth mentioning and didn't see it posted anywhere. Tom Loxas, a blogger out of Chicago is saying that he's hearing talks between the cubs and O's regarding Wieters and Samardzija. Interesting idea although I have to think we'd get more in return for MW than just Samardzjia. Maybe Samardzjia and Castro? I'd probably do that deal. Thoughts?

I don't know, but I definitely know it better be Notre Dame + and not just a 1 for 1 deal. Not even sure I'd still be excited about that trade.

I don't know, but I definitely know it better be Notre Dame + and not just a 1 for 1 deal. Not even sure I'd still be excited about that trade.

Yep Samardzjia pitched over a 4 ERA in the NL last year, and had a 3.8 the season before that. I want him and a prospect, I like Pineyro. He is a great friend of mine from out time with Washington. Career 3.21 ERA and a starter with 95+ stuff

As one poster mentioned in the "Wieters thread" a blogger out of Chicago has tweeted that the Orioles and Cub made ground on a trade involving Matt Wieters and Jeff Samardzjia.
Hearing #Cubs and #Orioles discussed Samardzija and Wieters in talks./QUOTE]

https://twitter.com/TomLoxas

First of all he didn't say "made ground" he said "discussed".

Second if we are quoting bloggers and actually running with it than we are going to be in for a long winter...

As one poster mentioned in the "Wieters thread" a blogger out of Chicago has tweeted that the Orioles and Cub made ground on a trade involving Matt Wieters and Jeff Samardzjia.

First of all he didn't say "made ground" he said "discussed".

Second if we are quoting bloggers and actually running with it than we are going to be in for a long winter...

They have discussed it and made ground on it today I was told.

Samardzija threw a career-high 213.2 innings in 2013, the fifth most in the NL. His strikeout and walk rates declined slightly, to 23.4%, and 8.5%, respectively. However, thanks to increased usage of his two-seam fastball, he largely offset the decline of his strikeout and walk rates with an increase in his groundball rate. Despite seeing his ERA jump to 4.34, Samardzija’s xFIP was 3.45, only a marginal increase from 3.38 the previous year.

Archived