It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

He had a .704 OPS this year and .739 for his career. Two more years of catching 150 games. Is .650 really that extreme a possibility?

Yes, I think it is extreme. His BABIP last year was well below his career average. Now maybe some of that can go back to shifts but not all. If Clevenger is the backup catcher, he hits LH so why not rest Matt another 1-2 games a month vs RHP. HE started 134 games last year. Maybe next year start him around 120 or so.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes some sense but I would want a different player than Moore as the 2nd piece.

Moore is a very good young player. He can DH, play some LF, backup Chris Davis. Looking at his minor league numbers and his 2012 numbers the O's would be lucky to get him. Right now he is stuck behind LaRoche, Harper and Werth.

He's not going to catch 120 games as long as Buck is manager AND he's not going to be here in 2016. We really don't know if he'd hit better with more rest. It makes sense but he also seems to hit well in September after a long season of catching and that doesn't make sense.

The weather cools off a little in terms of humidity in September. Yes it is hot but not nearly as bad as June, July and August.

I think Buck is a pretty good judge of talent and by catching him that much he is telling you how much he thinks Matt helps the team. With that being said no manager, Buck included can catch him that many games forever. I keep pointing out the number of games he catches because most of his criticism comes from his offense. Rest aside if Buck started him less

vs RHP than his "numbers" would get better considering how well he hits LHP.

We don't know for sure he won't be here in 2016. The Orioles might be playing a PR game that they are some poor little small market and I am not buying.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Wash told us they're still interested in McCann but Soto could handle the duties if they don't get him.</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

">November 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wash. Yeah, you probably want someone better than Soto.

At times I think people would rather have a catcher that caught 40 fewer games but hit better than Wieters even though they would not be nearly as good defensively. Does that make them a better player, no it doesn't.

Aside from the arguments about trading him, which even if you like Matt you could , I think a lot of his criticism is unfair. I don't think people look at the whole picture when evaluating him. I think if he was a 5th round pick, or had an OPS 100 points lower in the minors, 90% of the complaining would not be happening. I think some people continue to hold it against him that he isn't Johnny Bench and that should not play into how he gets evaluated.

Wieters career ave numbere: 255 .319 .420 .739 81 RBI, 21 HR. The main deifference between that and last year was BABIP. You have a league ave. hitter with plus power and plus, plus defense. A lot of teams would put good value on that IMO.

I wish the Orioles would with their checkbook.

Wieters problems are two fold. Much more was expected offensively coming off his first full minor league season. Okay, now we know he's a solid overall catcher. Problem is that Boras wants him to be paid like an elite catcher.

He is an elite catcher, that is my point. As good as Posey or Molina of course not.

He's not elite. Those guys are. If Wieters is elite then what category to you put Posey and Molina in? I thought elite meant "best"

Reminds me of the Flacco argument. Where do you draw the line.

The only player in the AL I think compares to him is Perez in KC. I think he is Top 5.

I am surprised with his down season, but now they have Roch quasi convinced.

Where and for who do you think we would find our best trade for him?

Quasi-convinced? "My guess is Wieters will be behind the plate on opening day, but the chances are better that he's dealt than Hardy." http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/11/because-you-asked---city-under-siege.html

While I am glad that the O's seem open to discussing trades involving Hardy and Wieters, I keep remembering that when Dan Duquette arrived and did his initial rounds of interviews, he must have said a hundred times that what he liked about the team was that they were very strong up the middle with Wieters, Hardy and Jones. I don't think he'll give up either one very readily.

I also think a lot of folks are too down on Wieters after a down year offensively. If I'm projecting his performance over the next 3-4 years, I think his career stats are a better indicator than 2013. I guess I just have a longer memory than some posters, and can easily conjure up Brook Fordyce, the latter years of Lopez and Hernandez, and other disasters. You have to be careful what you pay Wieters, but he's likely to be better than whoever we'd get to replace him.

Quasi-convinced? "My guess is Wieters will be behind the plate on opening day, but the chances are better that he's dealt than Hardy." http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/11/because-you-asked---city-under-siege.html

While I am glad that the O's seem open to discussing trades involving Hardy and Wieters, I keep remembering that when Dan Duquette arrived and did his initial rounds of interviews, he must have said a hundred times that what he liked about the team was that they were very strong up the middle with Wieters, Hardy and Jones. I don't think he'll give up either one very readily.

I also think a lot of folks are too down on Wieters after a down year offensively. If I'm projecting his performance over the next 3-4 years, I think his career stats are a better indicator than 2013. I guess I just have a longer memory than some posters, and can easily conjure up Brook Fordyce, the latter years of Lopez and Hernandez, and other disasters. You have to be careful what you pay Wieters, but he's likely to be better than whoever we'd get to replace him.

Let me restate. Roch is the last one of the reporters to admit that a player may be on the move. I listened to him on Tom Davis' show yesterday and he sure seemed to think of all the guys, it was MOST probable that Wieters would get moved. Because the extension talks had not gotten anywhere. Twice.

So maybe he is not quasi convinced. He is certainly sniffing smoke.

My biggest concern with Matt is that he's big and being over used. His numbers may bounce back a little but I highly doubt he'll age well and his bat, especially with a big contract, is not good enough for 1B/DH. I like him, his leadership, his defense, and his bat from the right side. That poor swing from the left and the concerns above are enough for me to flip him for a quality return.

Archived