It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

1) I'm not sure that Wieters' value is at an all-time low, though it certainly isn't high.

2) Any catcher the Orioles would sign wouldn't cost a pick.

That said, I agree with the sentiment here. Unless Wieters' salary is preventing the Orioles from making a very specific move, trading him doesn't make much sense to me. Perhaps I'll be surprised what another team is willing to give up for Wieters. If DD can work out a trade centering around Wieters and maybe another smaller piece to the Braves for Minor or Medlen, I'd be fully on board.

Whether he's traded or not, it seems nearly certain that he won't be extending here, which, frankly, suits me just fine. Better a year early than a year etc. etc.

If they need to clear payroll there is hat in the bullpen with a 10 million dollar arm under it.

If they trade a player for payroll purposes and keep Johnson at anywhere near his projected price tag I will be very annoyed.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they need to clear payroll there is hat in the bullpen with a 10 million dollar arm under it.

If they trade a player for payroll purposes and keep Johnson at anywhere near his projected price tag I will be very annoyed.

I actually started writing the exact same thing in the post and deleted it for whatever reason. We're on the same page. Trading Wieters only makes sense if we're getting legitimate talent back. If we do, I'm in favor of it. I'm just skeptical any team is going to give up enough to make it worth our while.

1- I said consider a qualifying offer. I will agree that there is a risk he could slip to the point where the team would not make the offer.

2- I think his value is significantly less then last season, he is a year older, a year more expensive and has a year less under team control. That doesn't even factor in the decline in both offense and defense.

3- I am inclined to say yes to that trade. I still do not think Atlanta would be interested in him (which you didn't ask).

The one thing Wieters still has going for him is the tantalizing chance that he just hasn't been coached very well and thus could still get much closer to his upside. Teams make themselves believe they can get a player to reach his reputation all the time. Take that and the fact that he's still a top 10ish catcher in baseball in total value, and I think his value on the market is very real.

I was watching MLB Hot Stove on Friday night and Tom Verducci basically said he didn't understand why the Orioles would have to cut money to bring in Beltran. He talked about the attendance rising and the $25M in TV money all the teams will be getting starting next year. I personally think it is a joke that we would have to cut money to bring in someone like a Beltran myself.

First, everyone assumes that Wieters, Hardy, etc. will get qualifying offers. Wieters could regress further, have a serious injury mid way through 2015 or the Orioles may decide they just won't chance him accepting a 14M or 16M (whatever it is at the time) qualifying offer. Two years down the road is tough to predict. He has value now. Is it down after last season? Probably, but I don't think it's down much. I mean, his defense hasn't slipped in the eyes of the league and his offense (HR and RBI) were about the same last year. Sure, his average and OBP were down, but he was never an elite offensive player to being with. I just don't think teams are going to be down on him that much coming off of last season. Now, what can you get for him? That's another question. Would you consider Wieters to Atlanta for Evan Gattis and top ten prospect?

I would be shocked that Wieters would not get a qualifying offer.

I was watching MLB Hot Stove on Friday night and Tom Verducci basically said he didn't understand why the Orioles would have to cut money to bring in Beltran. He talked about the attendance rising and the $25M in TV money all the teams will be getting starting next year. I personally think it is a joke that we would have to cut money to bring in someone like a Beltran myself.

I don't want Beltran but there is no reason that the O's have to cut payroll other then profits for the ownership group.

OK then, All time low to date.

Given the state of catching prospects in the O's system I would much rather keep him for the two seasons then consider tendering him a qualifying offer. The idea of signing Salty coming off a 372 BABIP season makes my stomach hurt.

Salty is also a guy that Boston benched in the World Series due to his defensive issues. His bat is the main reason he plays and Wieters out performed him in 2011 and 2012 offensively. And as you point out his crazy BABIP last season.

Yeah, you guys are right. The failed assumption by some people is that just because his value is at an all-time low that it's going to go up. The fact that it's at an all-time low really only means there were times we could have got back more for him, not that there will be better opportunities going forward. We know he will be difficult to resign.

First, everyone assumes that Wieters, Hardy, etc. will get qualifying offers. Wieters could regress further, have a serious injury mid way through 2015 or the Orioles may decide they just won't chance him accepting a 14M or 16M (whatever it is at the time) qualifying offer. Two years down the road is tough to predict. He has value now. Is it down after last season? Probably, but I don't think it's down much. I mean, his defense hasn't slipped in the eyes of the league and his offense (HR and RBI) were about the same last year. Sure, his average and OBP were down, but he was never an elite offensive player to being with. I just don't think teams are going to be down on him that much coming off of last season. Now, what can you get for him? That's another question. Would you consider Wieters to Atlanta for Evan Gattis and top ten prospect?
As long as the top10 prospect is a SP.

Washington Nationals

Wieters and Patton for Ramos and Tyler Moore

The Nationals are a team that is built to win now. Many favor them to win the pennant next year. Though Ramos is a good catcher he is not near as durable as Wieters. Ramos probably projects to play about 100 games. Wieters 140 games. Ramos has had injury problems missing 129 games in 2012 with an ACL and 44 games in 2013 with a hamstring. Wieters has been a rock health wise

The Nationals are looking for lefthanded relievers. Patton was discussed last year in a trade with them.

The Nationals will spend and with their ownership they will probably put a good portion of the 25M of additional TV money back in the major league team. Wieters 8-10M salary for 2014 should not be a problem.

Ramos is entering his first year of arbitration. Moore has one year and 106 days for ML service.

The Nationals have a good relationship with Boras with Harper, Werth, Rendon, and Soriano all being Boras clients. Even more important the Nationals will spend to keep Wieters in the future.

Most of the Orioles hitters have done very well under Jim Presley. After 4 1/2 years, I don't think coaching is Wieters problem. Now, if he goes to another team and bats RH only and becomes an .800 OPS hitter then ............................. but that's another story. :)

I am one of the biggest Wieters fans on this board. I hope we re-sign him to say the least. People complain about his offense but Buck also catches him more than anybody else in the league because he thinks it gives the Orioles the best chance to win. Would people feel better if he rested another 12 games or so a year vs RH starting pitching and his "numbers" were better? A lot of the other catchers will better offensive numbers are also guys with poor defensive reputations who also get a lot more rest.

It would be a big mistake to trade Matt. He makes bad pitching better. The problem is he lead the MLB in innings. We need a good back up catcher to give Wieters some time off. More time at DH wouldn't hurt. He's a big man for a catcher and has to take a toll over a 162 games. How many times has he nailed base runners trying to steal? There is no stat that shows how many runs he had save us and get our pitching out of a jam. We better hold on to what we got.

Archived