It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those curious, Samardzija will be in his first arbitration year this year after making $2.6M each of the previous two seasons. He will be a FA after 2015, just like Wieters.

I'm definitely interested in Samardzija as part of a Wieters deal, though I'd like more and I don't know if the Cubs have other good pieces for us.

I think the other question is to ask what the next step will be. If the savings you get by dealing MW translates into us getting a descent starter in Samardzija plus we sign a good/above average catcher. If I had to pick between Wieters and Samargzija/Cubs Prospect/FA Catcher, I might just pick option B.

I'm definitely interested in Samardzija as part of a Wieters deal, though I'd like more and I don't know if the Cubs have other good pieces for us.

Would we even get any other "good" pieces even if the Cubs had any?

Both these guys:

• Are about the same age.
  • Under team control for 2-years.
  • Probably will produce about the same WAR.

Seems like it'd pretty much be a straight up swap. Wieters for basically an inexpensive Garza clone. Right?

(yes Wieters does have higher WAR potential based on his past performances but he is also getting paid more.)

If the rumor is true at least DD is in discussions which is a good thing. I think Detroit, Atlanta, the Angels and Texas may also have interest in Wieters so word of this possible deal may have been leaked to get other teams off their sofas and make them a little more active. I would not be surprised if Johnson, Hardy or Markakis are added to a deal.

I like this deal. Maybe the Cubs throw in a low minors prospect. I love Wieters (see my authentic Wieters jersey) but his salary demands are ridiculous. Samardzija has more upside in my opinion and maybe you can extend him. Is he a #1? Probably not. But Samardzija and Tillman would make for a nice 1-2 at the top and if Gausman figures it out that's a real nice power 1-2-3.

Caller on 105.7 this morning had an interesting idea...

Wieters and EdRod for Scherzer.

Would you do it? Would the Orioles?

I'd do it IF we could extend Max.

Not even SG could come with a plausible case that a deal like that could be made. You'd have to include Bundy and/or Gausman into the deal for the Tigers to think about that. Never mind that they don't have a place for Wieters with both Avila and Martinez on the roster.

Not even SG could come with a plausible case that a deal like that could be made. You'd have to include Bundy and/or Gausman into the deal for the Tigers to think about that. Never mind that they don't have a place for Wieters with both Avila and Martinez on the roster.

Martinez caught three games last year (22 in) and 29 in the last year seasons combined.

He isn't a catcher anymore.

Now Avila is a valid point and I agree that interest would be low.

Martinez caught three games last year (22 in) and 29 in the last year seasons combined.

He isn't a catcher anymore.

Now Avila is a valid point and I agree that interest would be low.

My point with Martinez is he's the primary DH, and of course you can swap him out for Fielder and Cabrera whenever you want, so Wieters doesn't even have a spot there. I don't think Wieters profiles as a DH anyway, even his power doesn't really play there.

Archived