Schmuck's sure to ruffle some feathers with his latest article

ChaosLex

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of needs on the team, relief pitching isn't really one of them. Johnson left, was replaced by Webb. You still have Hunter, O'Day, Matusz, McFarland (all of whom pitched 100 ERA+ or better last year). Plus Stinson, Gausman, Britton, and S. Johnson, all of whom need places to pitch, plus Brach, Escalona, and De La Cruz who could try out there.

Starting pitching is the Orioles problem. They have zero starting pitching available for the 5th spot. You could try one of these consistently awful starters like Matusz, or Britton, or Johnson, or McFarland, or Stinson, or Hunter... but why? Why go into the season knowing that this was your real weakness and leave it unaddressed?

Same with DH. It is completely negligent that they haven't addressed that spot.

Are there people on this board that actually think we're going to sign Garza?

We just flopped on the Balfour deal because there's "something" going on in his shoulder that no other doctor sees. And you think Garza's going to pass the steel trap that is the Orioles physical with the arm problems he's had the last few years? HA!!

That's not even mentioning the money or the fact that we won't go over 3 years for a pitcher.

In terms of needs on the team, relief pitching isn't really one of them. Johnson left, was replaced by Webb. You still have Hunter, O'Day, Matusz, McFarland (all of whom pitched 100 ERA+ or better last year). Plus Stinson, Gausman, Britton, and S. Johnson, all of whom need places to pitch, plus Brach, Escalona, and De La Cruz who could try out there.

Starting pitching is the Orioles problem. They have zero starting pitching available for the 5th spot. You could try one of these consistently awful starters like Matusz, or Britton, or Johnson, or McFarland, or Stinson, or Hunter... but why? Why go into the season knowing that this was your real weakness and leave it unaddressed?

Same with DH. It is completely negligent that they haven't addressed that spot.

I already said this in another thread, but I believe they have. They're clearing going w/ a platoon at 2B and a platoon in LF. Whichever guys that don't make the opening day 25man roster will probably be rotated in/out throughout the season. DH is going to be occupied by whichever OF/2Bman isn't playing the field and who has a "hot bat" on that given day.

Obviously, not a situation that most of us want to see, but I have a feeling that this is what we're going to get.

I already said this in another thread, but I believe they have. They're clearing going w/ a platoon at 2B and a platoon in LF. Whichever guys that don't make the opening day 25man roster will probably be rotated in/out throughout the season. DH is going to be occupied by whichever OF/2Bman isn't playing the field and who has a "hot bat" on that given day.

Obviously, not a situation that most of us want to see, but I have a feeling that this is what we're going to get.

I feel like Urrutia and Schoop are the desired outcomes at DH and 2B. Everybody else is just there in case those two aren't ready.

I think this has merit. They keep taking on "depth" players, but how long before these guys are actually filling out the 25 man roster? Sad but quite possible.

So the cheap way?

He's 100% right.

Sorry, this is a nightmare of an offseason.

Right now our starting LF is gone, our RH side of the DH platoon was traded, we have an incomplete starting rotation and are in a situation where we have cannon fodder competing for the 5th spot (Matusz, Britton, Gausman, etc.), our starting 3B'man is coming off a significant surgery, we have no starting second baseman, and the one closer we thought we had replace the closer of old (which we traded for a bag of baseballs) is now "damaged goods".

I have a tough time trying to give Duquette ANY credit whatsoever. What has he done? Sign AAAA fodder?

Unless this club signs a legitimate starting pitcher (Garza), then I have zero faith in this club's ability to be anything more than a .500 team. They look like an absolute mess right now.

The team replaced McLouth with a younger, cheaper, controllable version of himself. Valencia is easy to replace. Dealing Valencia after the best 150 ABs of his career was exactly the correct move.

Archived