Tanaka To Be Posted

DrinkinWithFermi

I don't see the O's forking up 20 M plus 20+ per for a SP. And I don't see Tanaka taking less than 5 years. I think he goes to the LAD. NL team, Japanese culture friendly team, pitching behind Kershaw. He puts the MFY over the luxury tax threshold in NYC.

The NYY have already doled out $300,000,000 so far in the off season and don't seem to be very concerned about the magical $189 million target anymore. They've made it very clear they are going all in on Tanaka.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HAH! Keep dreaming.

They get $117MM/year from the RSN. They have plenty to spend!

We?re at a point where I think we are trying to do a few more things. I?m not sure that anything is going to be a huge splash. We have some options out there that we can either make a trade or could add another piece to it. I think that if we go for another large deal, that obviously is going to have to go above my head. And at this moment, we are where we are, and we?re trying to make things work with what we have.? Seattle Mariners General Manager Jack Zduriencik said in an interview with Ken Rosenthal.

http://fansided.com/2013/12/19/mlb-free-agency-seattle-mariners-reaching-payroll-limit/

I hate to be the one to break it to you but just because a team gets a lot of money from a RSN doesn't mean they will spend it.

Of course they could be blowing smoke.

http://fansided.com/2013/12/19/mlb-free-agency-seattle-mariners-reaching-payroll-limit/

I hate to be the one to break it to you but just because a team gets a lot of money from a RSN doesn't mean they will spend it.

Of course they could be blowing smoke.

I don't expect they are going to spend all of it. IMO It's just has to be for the right player and Tanaka or Price could be that player....

Cano and King Felix have 2 huge contracts.... Yes, if they do add another huge contract they will have limited payroll flexibility in the future.... but this doesnt mean they are done spending yet. It might just be they are more cautious.

I don't think the Caribbean thing was about the money so much as the abject corruption and drugs and forgeries and whatnot.

Yeah, I was under the impression that MacPhail & Co didn't like dealing with the buscones, especially in the DR. I didn't really have a problem with the decision to avoid what they saw as a lousy system in the DR and devote the resources to other places: both Eduardo Rodriguez and Jonathan Schoop, for example, were international signings made by MacPhail - neither, notably, is Dominican.

I argued at the time on this board that their approach, though it wasn't the only correct way to do things, wasn't wrong or necessarily indicative of being "cheap." I think that's still the case, and the fact that 2 of the current top 5 O's prospects were international signings from the period is a strong argument in favor of that case.

But! Avoiding all posted NPB players for no apparent reason just makes no sense. None whatsoever. If a particular player is going to be paid too much, sure, don't sign him. But the way things were put by Dan Duquette is almost bizarre.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/no-possibility-of-posting-for-tanaka.html

Roch is questioning why we aren't involved. The kid is 24! $18M may be a bargain if you trust your scouts.

This franchise is an absolute joke. DD was never cheap before he got here, now our big additions are waiver wire adds and Rule 5 draftees. Angelos is an embarrassment to this town, this good organization and he is the sole blockade preventing our success. No free agent or current Oriole (Davis, etc) will ever want to resign with this franchise long term.

I am so sick of reading the Orioles will not be involved in player X...it is disgusting.

DD should just quit if he can't get the job done he wants done. He can at the very least work as assistant somewhere else more than likely. There is no way you can convince me is an executing as he actualls sees fit. It is a joke.

The NYY have already doled out $300,000,000 so far in the off season and don't seem to be very concerned about the magical $189 million target anymore. They've made it very clear they are going all in on Tanaka.
You have a source for that. I haven't read anything to that effect. I have seen a lot of media speculation that they should be in on Tanaka. And even with ARoid's contract they are still under the luxury tax threshold.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/no-possibility-of-posting-for-tanaka.html

Roch is questioning why we aren't involved. The kid is 24! $18M may be a bargain if you trust your scouts.

This franchise is an absolute joke. DD was never cheap before he got here, now our big additions are waiver wire adds and Rule 5 draftees. Angelos is an embarrassment to this town, this good organization and he is the sole blockade preventing our success. No free agent or current Oriole (Davis, etc) will ever want to resign with this franchise long term.

I am so sick of reading the Orioles will not be involved in player X...it is disgusting.

DD should just quit if he can't get the job done he wants done. He can at the very least work as assistant somewhere else more than likely. There is no way you can convince me is an executing as he actualls sees fit. It is a joke.

I didn't see one bit of questioning. I saw him making excuses for DD.

You have a source for that. I haven't read anything to that effect. I have seen a lot of media speculation that they should be in on Tanaka. And even with ARoid's contract they are still under the luxury tax threshold.

I haven't read anything to that effect either. Rank speculation and nothing more.

And no SilentJames is not a "source", trying to thwart any Orioles criticism with his Yankees are rich, we aren't so don't get mad that the O's can't get Tanaka diatribe.

This sounds like you're just making excuses for the inactivity of the FO. Teams have outbid the MFY plenty of times. Especially when they've done nothing else with their offseason.

Also, what is it costing us by putting in a bid and negotiating? We can still negotiate with other players. Despite the perception, DD can do two things at once.

I see SJ's post a bit differently. The FO had a legitimate deal on the table with Balfour. They were quite active in negotiating with Balfour for a week or so. The fallout from the deal's falling apart has icaused negative PR. I really don't think that the Orioles will be able to outbid the Yankees on a player that the Yankees really want.

The cost would be time and money. Why waste either if you are not seriously going to negotiate with the player?

I'm sure that DD can juggle several things at once.

As much as I'd love to be in on Tanaka, I think the better approach for the FO is to be upfront on their intentions.

I didn't see one bit of questioning. I saw him making excuses for DD.

That's how I read it too. He even makes reference to an Alanis Morissette song saying he's uninvited, a casual observer.

Not exactly hard hitting.

We were never going to be in the market for a big ticket pitcher, posting fee or not. Call it an excuse now, but if anyone thinks the Orioles were going to spend up to $150M for a pitcher, they must not have been paying attention to, or obstinately in denial regarding, anything Duquette, and Andy "Grow the Arms" MacPhail before him, had said repeatedly about the need to develop our own pitching. In 2011, MacPhail said, "Pitching is expensive, it’s fragile, as unfortunately we learn every spring with other clubs circumstances.” This is what Duquette had to say a little over three months ago.
The major league free agent market for pitchers is a very um, that's a high end of the market, so we're working at other ends of the market to build up a talent base so that we can have a good pitching staff year in and year out.
I think that trades and signing players at the amateur level and bringing them up through the system will be the focus of the Orioles.

"The Orioles won't be participating in that market" - that should slam the door on anyone who hoped otherwise.

I prefer to live in the real world, and not expect a big paradigm shift with how ownership treats the franchise. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

I will repeat once again. 5 of the 10 teams that made the playoffs last year, had lower payrolls then the Orioles. This is NOT a good organization. If it were, it could compete with the payroll they now have. The whole organization had to be retooled. Hopefully DD is in the process of doing just that. Throwing money at the problem wont help long term. Most long term big money deals are not worth it anyway. Is PA scared of long term big money deals for free agents, it appears so, however, I do not recall one of these big name players, that I would have signed for the money they got.

I will repeat once again. 5 of the 10 teams that made the playoffs last year, had lower payrolls then the Orioles. This is NOT a good organization. If it were, it could compete with the payroll they now have. The whole organization had to be retooled. Hopefully DD is in the process of doing just that. Throwing money at the problem wont help long term. Most long term big money deals are not worth it anyway. Is PA scared of long term big money deals for free agents, it appears so, however, I do not recall one of these big name players, that I would have signed for the money they got.

DD doesn't have the trading skills AM has...so...how are we re-tooling exactly? Tillman and Davis and Jones were AM. You need starting pitching. Not rocket science. We can't develop it obviously so how do you propose us getting it?

Archived