Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot (Update: Maddux, Glavine, Thomas Elected)

Frobby

Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot  

586 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot

This poll is closed to new votes

Besides, to not play the home team guy in the All-Star game is unforgivable for a manager. It just is. It is an exhibition for the fans, for crying out loud. Cito sucks.

I think it was a bush move by Gaston. However, I don't think that Mussina should have countered it by warming up on his own.

IMO, he made a bad situation worse, and like my mom used to tell me " Two wrongs don't make a right."

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it was a bush move by Gaston. However, I don't think that Mussina should have countered it by warming up on his own.

IMO, he made a bad situation worse, and like my mom used to tell me " Two wrongs don't make a right."

True, but it happened, and probably the only blemish in a remarkable career.

Unlike a certain 2nd baseman that spit in the umpire's face and was forgiven and accepted into the HOF.

That list of players is incredible. You could make a case for a dozen or more getting in and that's not even counting Raffy or Big Mac. I don't think I remember a year with so many qualified candidates. I'm 39 and those players, along with the three great managers getting elected, were really at the heart of two decades worth of baseball.

Random thoughts from me:

There will always be some moron who won't vote for obvious candidates. If Cal wasn't unanimous forget it.

This is a real popularity contest like All Star games and Gold Glove voting. Too bad.

Glavine won 300, was a five-time 20-game winner, and two-time Cy Young Award winner. And was Left handed. Total lock.

Maddux is a no-brainer.

People hate Clemens and Bonds and believe (i.e. 'know') they cheated. The debate about Hall-worthiness will go on forever.

Morris and Mussina don't compare well to Maddux/Glavine when looking at numbers and awards. Both were great pitchers though.

Biggio deserves it. In most years he'd have been easily elected. This was a tough year to get in.

Schilling won 216 and is disliked by a lot of people. Not worthy at all to me.

Piazza may be the greatest hitting catcher of all time and was viewed as a poor defensive catcher and prima donna.

I'm fine with the three (6 total) going in and think Biggio and Pizza will make it eventually. Mussina might. Morris and Schilling won't. Bonds and Clemens (and McGwire and others here) won't make it until something drastic happens, which would have to be many years down the road.

[/b]

Well, he is on the outside looking in for a reason.

He is banned from baseball.

I never been a big Pete Rose fan. I was a little kid when he was a manager so he was never a player i knew about until he was already banned. He was a solid player who was blessed with staying healthy who extended his career to break the record. From what i have read about him i have no problem with him never getting into the HOF. Especially since Joe Jackson has never been inducted.

True, but it happened, and probably the only blemish in a remarkable career.

Unlike a certain 2nd baseman that spit in the umpire's face and was forgiven and accepted into the HOF.

I don't look at this as a blemish on Mussina's career. I just don't agree with what he did. Clearly, Gaston was the real jerk in the incident.

The umpire did forgive Alomar, and he certainly belongs in the Hall.

I never been a big Pete Rose fan. I was a little kid when he was a manager so he was never a player i knew about until he was already banned. He was a solid player who was blessed with staying healthy who extended his career to break the record. From what i have read about him i have no problem with him never getting into the HOF. Especially since Joe Jackson has never been inducted.

Say it ain't so!

From Olney's piece.

"The Hall of Fame is not a house of the holy. It's a baseball museum -- the best sports museum in the world, in my opinion -- and nobody should pretend it's more than that. That includes the current Hall of Famers, some of whom admittedly used amphetamines in their careers because that was the context of the times."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post?id=4360

1- I said could. It is part of the judging criteria

2- You know me well enough to know I wouldn't.

I remembered Charlie Hustle when he was a player. Like Cal Jr, wasn't the best athletic guy on the field. But, he pushed himself to get as much as he could from the game. I loved the way he played the game.

Yes, based on field stats deserves to be in.

But, given the fact, that he committed the ultimate taboo and bet not only on baseball but he own frigging team, then MLB has to no choice but to throw the lifetime ban at the guy.

I suspect if he had come clean early on, it would have been far easier to forgive him, like they did with Mays and Mantle and he probably would be in the HOF.

Rose was one of my favorite players growing up.

IMO, anyone who is banned from the game should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Jackson and Rose are obviously in this category, so despite their accomplishments, neither player should be enshrined.

Besides, to not play the home team guy in the All-Star game is unforgivable for a manager. It just is. It is an exhibition for the fans, for crying out loud. Cito sucks.

I've mellowed on a lot of things, Mussina included. Jeter, even the kid in RF who shall not be named. But I still feel anger everytime I think of that incident. Cito sucked then, he sucks now and he will ALWAYS suck. :angryfire:

And Cito sucks.

Archived