Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot (Update: Maddux, Glavine, Thomas Elected)

Frobby

Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot  

586 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot

This poll is closed to new votes

Of Murray Chass who has publicly stated that he is only going to keep voting so he can:

So, with Gurnick and Chass, that is 2 that we know of right there. If their votes were not counted, Biggio would have had his 75% (427/569). I'm not huge on Biggio personally, but that there is a travesty.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was with you until this year, and then some of the idiot writers and what they did this year turned the tables for me on this subject.

Three players went in (as well as three managers). That's pretty good, in fact three ties for the most players being voted in by the BBWA in since four went in back in 1955. The crowded ballot brought down a few of the player's vote totals but the only lasting effects are: 1) Palmeiro was eliminated from future voting for falling under 5% (and he wasn't about to get in), and 2) Morris didn't get in on his 15th try, but he'll be eligible in 2016 through the Veteran's Committee. Everyone else of significance will be back next year. That's why they get 15 tries, you have lean years and fat years and this year was awfully crowded.

Three players went in (as well as three managers). That's pretty good, in fact three ties for the most players being voted in by the BBWA in since four went in back in 1955. The crowded ballot brought down a few of the player's vote totals but the only lasting effects are: 1) Palmeiro was eliminated from future voting for falling under 5% (and he wasn't about to get in), and 2) Morris didn't get in on his 15th try, but he'll be eligible in 2016 through the Veteran's Committee. Everyone else of significance will be back next year. That's why they get 15 tries, you have lean years and fat years and this year was awfully crowded.

This just highlights the flaws in the voting process. I mean, Morris had 15 years of the guys they've assigned to vote to get in (and against a very weak peer group), he doesn't, and yet everyone is pretty sure he'll one day go in via some kind of Vet's Committee. While Raffy certainly should go in eventually, but, again, everyone was assuming he'd have to wait for the Vet's Committee, too.

Really, the difference between one borderline HOFer and another is very often when they hit the ballot.

This just highlights the flaws in the voting process. I mean, Morris had 15 years of the guys they've assigned to vote to get in (and against a very weak peer group), he doesn't, and yet everyone is pretty sure he'll one day go in via some kind of Vet's Committee. While Raffy certainly should go in eventually, but, again, everyone was assuming he'd have to wait for the Vet's Committee, too.

Really, the difference between one borderline HOFer and another is very often when they hit the ballot.

And who they know on the Vet's Committee.

Well, you're certainly right that there are flaws - several in fact. But I think the system is working. Some guys just take a while. Now, maybe you think these are borderline players and the Hall should have a higher standard, but there are many players who took a while to get in. Many voters change their opinions on players over the years.

Jim Rice 15 years

Bert Blyleven 14 years

Bruce Sutter 13 years

Bob Lemon 12 years

Duke Snider 11 years

Don Drysdale 10 years

Goose Gossage 9 years

Writers don't always get it correct right away. The first year of voting (1926) saw Connie Mack, who I think almost everyone would agree is a HOFer, get exactly one vote from the BBWA....one vote. Charlie Gehringer didn't get any! Sometimes it just takes time.

I don't think there are too many guys left that deserve to be put in the Hall and have thus far been overlooked by the BBWA and the Veteran's Committee. In fact, the Veteran's Committee was (is?) a joke and a popularity contest with backroom deals for friends. I still think, though, that in the end most of the deserving guys got in...as well as a few who shouldn't have. No system of voting is perfect, but that's why they vote.

Writers don't always get it correct right away. The first year of voting (1926) saw Connie Mack, who I think almost everyone would agree is a HOFer, get exactly one vote from the BBWA....one vote. Charlie Gehringer didn't get any! Sometimes it just takes time.

Mack was still an active manager in 1936, the first year of voting, and he certainly didn't deserve to go in as a player. Gehringer was also active in '36. And everyone in '36 was going up against everyone who'd played since the start of baseball. Not quite the same as today.

I don't think there are too many guys left that deserve to be put in the Hall and have thus far been overlooked by the BBWA and the Veteran's Committee.

The problem is that there are literally hundreds of players better than the lower limit of current HOFers who aren't inducted. So if you don't think there are deserving guys left out you have to conclude that many, many undeserving players are already in.

No system of voting is perfect, but that's why they vote.

That's no reason to stick with a system that is clearly broken. You're almost arguing that since we can't achieve perfection we might as well quit trying.

Well, you're certainly right that there are flaws - several in fact. But I think the system is working. Some guys just take a while. Now, maybe you think these are borderline players and the Hall should have a higher standard, but there are many players who took a while to get in. Many voters change their opinions on players over the years.

Jim Rice 15 years

Bert Blyleven 14 years

Bruce Sutter 13 years

Bob Lemon 12 years

Duke Snider 11 years

Don Drysdale 10 years

Goose Gossage 9 years

I don't think there are too many guys left that deserve to be put in the Hall and have thus far been overlooked by the BBWA and the Veteran's Committee. In fact, the Veteran's Committee was (is?) a joke and a popularity contest with backroom deals for friends. I still think, though, that in the end most of the deserving guys got in...as well as a few who shouldn't have. No system of voting is perfect, but that's why they vote.

The bolded is certainly true. After all, Hitler was elected Chancellor of Germany.

Jim Rice 15 years

Bert Blyleven 14 years

Bruce Sutter 13 years

Bob Lemon 12 years

Duke Snider 11 years

Don Drysdale 10 years

Goose Gossage 9 years

Question - did any of the players listed above get as little as 20% of the vote in his first year of eligibility (as Mussina did today)? Any other players in the Hall who did that?

I just read that Frank Thomas is the first SEC player to ever be elected to the Hall of Fame. That's shocking.

War Eagle, Big Hurt.

Yeah, I was shocked at first too....but then, you'd have to think most HOFs don't go to college because (1) they were studs out of high school and (2) needed the longevity to have HOF careers...

Still though, after 100+ years of baseball, you'd think there would have been one SEC grad...

As a long-time Houston resident, I am disappointed for Biggio (again)....a class act and truly deserving HOFer. He was my favorite non-Oriole for pretty much his entire career, and I remember really hoping be would come to Baltimore in 1995 (when we courted both Biggio and Alomar)....Biggio (correctly) decided to stay with the Astros.

Of Murray Chass who has publicly stated that he is only going to keep voting so he can:
Finally, an announcement that will disappoint Neyer, Calcaterra and the reader who, like those two bloggers, said they were delighted that this was the last time I would be voting for the Hall of Fame. Sorry, guys I never made it definite.

I said ?barring a change in my thinking,? this could be my last vote. My thinking has changed, and all of you critics can blame yourselves. How could I relinquish my vote knowing how much it annoys you? I plan to vote a year from now even if I just send in a blank ballot. You would love that

This is the same as Joe West or any other of the "uppity" umps who make the game about themselves. You guys are sidebars to the game! Writers and umpires. The game and the Hall are ABOUT THE PLAYERS! Not you afterthoughts! Boy that makes me mad.

Archived