Like Father Like Son Angelos Family

Greg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better that then the next Hamilton or Pujols.

There are a few players who fall between the range of Pujols and AAAA players.

The whole idea of not signing a guy like Hamilton or Pujols only benefits the teams fans if its willing to spend some of those savings on quality players who can compliment the core thats here and has the talent to win OR if they spend that money to keep guys like Wieters, Davis, JJ and Tillman.

If one of those things happens then the O's will have been smart IMO. If not then they are just plain cheap and winning is a mere afterthought to making money.

If the O's don't add to the team and do not lock anyone up then why should I feel better about the O's cause they did not sign a Pujols type? Least had they done that it show me someone cares even if its misguided. Thats a heck of a lot better than having an owner who is more concerned about profits...that can't be fixed...stupidity can.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Money ball doesn't win you a WS. You gotta spend to win a WS. Money ball will get you into the playoffs nothing more.

Money Ball is not, not spending. Money Ball is philosophy in maximizing value through statistical analysis...its sabermetrics.

And, it wins championships. The Rays and A's are more so unlucky, teams that get into the playoffs have roughly the same possibility of winning the World Series. Five and Seven game series aren't always indicative of team's true quality.

If JA takes over, maybe he will designate before each season whether it's one in which the Orioles are trying to get to the World Series. In the seasons designated as "We're not really going for it" years, we could avoid endless speculation about what ownership is up to and cut down substantially on Hangout posts as well as ticket purchases. And those of us who are psychologically equipped to do so could take the summer off from Orioles baseball.

I really don't post here much and it seems when I do I'm defending the Orioles, which is odd to me. Maybe it's because as much as I love the game of Baseball, I never allow it to affect me negatively...considering it is a game...so maybe I just don't have the level of anger, angst, or whatever emotion that others have about it...I guess I just digest information unemotionally...

I don't see how you read that quote and interpreted in that manner? Not that John would be great owner...I'm not even making the argument that he (or his father) doesn't deserve cynicism...it's just he basically in that one quote summarized the Baltimore Ravens' philosophy when making personnel decisions. And, they are one of the best run organizations in their respective sport.

The idea is, he would like sustained success and will not sacrifice the future for a gamble. No matter how good you are, the playoffs are a gamble, all teams have roughly (once they get to the actual Divisional round) the same probability of winning the WS

What is this quote "We're not going for broke every year"?

Is he referring to the past 15 years or is he referring to now when the Orioles actually have a chance? This quote is not good.

He is referring to the orders from ownership which is keep the payroll just high enough to win 80 or so games, act like we are trying to/can win it all if "some things just go right", and retain the casual fan who doesn't know any better.

That quote is exactly what Angelos wants, a low payroll just high enough to keep the fan who has come back with the family walking through the gates so he can make as much money as possible year in and year out. It has worked beautifully the past few years so why change anything?

It isn't about winning, it is about making sustainable huge money year after year, and "going for broke" (or trying to actually win a championship when the time is right...NOW) is just not happening. That isn't the way to make the most money possible and suck every bit of blood from the stone that is the Orioles/MASN.

He is referring to the orders from ownership which is keep the payroll just high enough to win 80 or so games, act like we are trying to/can win it all if "some things just go right", and retain the casual fan who doesn't know any better.

That quote is exactly what Angelos wants, a low payroll just high enough to keep the fan who has come back with the family walking through the gates so he can make as much money as possible year in and year out. It has worked beautifully the past few years so why change anything?

It isn't about winning, it is about making sustainable huge money year after year, and "going for broke" (or trying to actually win a championship when the time is right...NOW) is just not happening. That isn't the way to make the most money possible and suck every bit of blood from the stone that is the Orioles/MASN.

Still not seeing how you got this from the quote. Winning would be better for the bottom line...this mindset doesn't make sense. Angelos problem is not intent it is\was his ignorance and ego. I don't see how he went from wanting to win to not wanting to win. I just don't know what it is about sports, but people always seem to see failure as some type of intended plan, when in fact--in this instance--it is simply incompetence. Angelos did not need to purposely fail, his lack of baseball knowledge and his lack humility--in not being aware of his ignorance--is responsible for the 14 years of losing that people can't get over (not saying that you should). This is not the movie Major League....

Still not seeing how you got this from the quote. Winning would be better for the bottom line...this mindset doesn't make sense. Angelos problem is not intent it is\was his ignorance and ego. I don't see how he went from wanting to win to not wanting to win. I just don't know what it is about sports, but people always seem to see failure as some type of intended plan, when in fact--in this instance--it is simply incompetence. Angelos did not need to purposely fail, his lack of baseball knowledge and his lack humility--in not being aware of his ignorance--is responsible for the 14 years of losing that people can't get over (not saying that you should). This is not the movie Major League....
It's a theory I have heard proselytized. I reject it for the same reason you do.

Archived