Opportunity....

EagleOriole

Losing Len has really hurt. I think they'd look much different on both ends of the court with an inside presence like him. It's a shame he left, although I can't say I blame him.

Bottom line is he's not there. My biggest concern is that I don't see much improvement. We've discussed it before, but who has really gotten better? I guess Shaq going from zero post moves per game to one per game has been an improvement. :2yay-thumb:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in as an "old timer-69" who somehow graduated in 1969 and has now lost interest. I have also reduced the amount of my retirement time that I give to Terp basketball. This is the first year that I have not attended a game since 1963 with the exception of two years in the Army. Cleare , Dodd, Mitchell & Graham get 4 rebounds....terrible in the last game. Cleare is especially lead footed, with brick hands and these are all Turg recruits. I just don't hold out much hope for the Miami or any other games.

I figured that was the case and don't blame you at all. I am usually optimistic too, especially with MD basketball, my second favorite team to follow next to the O's, but man this is awful. We may yet end up with a losing season, when is the last time that has happened? I hope your right about next year and about Turgeon! I also understand this would be a completely different team if Len had stuck around and I am trying to factor that into my disappointment, but it is tough. Maybe I will give them another shot and watch the game tomorrow night, maybe playing Miami will cure our ills a bit...ha.

I remember Gary having a few losing season's in the early nineties. But, a losing season is a real possibility. It would have been nice if Len stuck around for one more year. I honestly think this would be a top 25 team with him.

I remember Gary having a few losing season's in the early nineties. But, a losing season is a real possibility. It would have been nice if Len stuck around for one more year. I honestly think this would be a top 25 team with him.

I figured a losing season had happened a few times, but even just being this close to one is depressing. Last night was pleasant (thank goodness Wells came alive in the second half) and actually a fairly enjoyable game to watch. Hope they can turn things around on this win, but I have no faith in this team to hold onto a lead, they almost gave it away last night as it was (again thank goodness for Wells).

Another positive is Roddy Peters really looks explosive at times, I sorta hope (especially if we have no tourney expectations) he gets more playing time down the stretch.

I figured a losing season had happened a few times, but even just being this close to one is depressing. Last night was pleasant (thank goodness Wells came alive in the second half) and actually a fairly enjoyable game to watch. Hope they can turn things around on this win, but I have no faith in this team to hold onto a lead, they almost gave it away last night as it was (again thank goodness for Wells).

Another positive is Roddy Peters really looks explosive at times, I sorta hope (especially if we have no tourney expectations) he gets more playing time down the stretch.

It is depressing thinking about this team being under .500. I'm in the camp that thinks this team should be top 25, if not top 15 every year. I think MD can be on the level of the Duke's, Kansas etc. There aren't too many schools that has the talent within a 50 mile radius of it's campus like MD has.

To be fair to GW:

MD was sanctioned for three seasons: '90-'91, '91-'92, '92-'93. They went to the Sweet Sixteen in '93-'94 and never had a losing season thereafter.

Looking at the schedule, I think the VATech games are the only ones in which MD will be favored unless Clemson tanks.

To be fair to GW:

MD was sanctioned for three seasons: '90-'91, '91-'92, '92-'93. They went to the Sweet Sixteen in '93-'94 and never had a losing season thereafter.

Looking at the schedule, I think the VATech games are the only ones in which MD will be favored unless Clemson tanks.

No doubt. I wasn't blaming Gary. I was just pointing out the last time the Terps had a losing record.

I forgot the Terps were playing an early game today. The Terps win 80-60 over VT.

Yea I forgot too (disinterest will do that), glad to see they handled a team they should. Any idea why Wells didn't start? Or has that been the case for a while and I am just not noticing?

Yea I forgot too (disinterest will do that), glad to see they handled a team they should. Any idea why Wells didn't start? Or has that been the case for a while and I am just not noticing?

He didn't start because he was late for breakfast according to Turgeon. 3 other bench players were too according to Twitter-sphere. Dez was inserted into the game less than a minute in.

Good to take care of business. Va Tech is terrible.

He didn't start because he was late for breakfast according to Turgeon. 3 other bench players were too according to Twitter-sphere. Dez was inserted into the game less than a minute in.

Good to take care of business. Va Tech is terrible.

Thanks. Had a feeling it was something disciplinary. Glad it wasn't something too serious. Wells has been shooting incredibly well as of late. Perfect his last game and 6-9 this game. Wow.

Thanks. Had a feeling it was something disciplinary. Glad it wasn't something too serious. Wells has been shooting incredibly well as of late. Perfect his last game and 6-9 this game. Wow.

Even though he is a guard he is by far our best offensive post player and has been taking advantage of those post skills the past few games. On the block he overpowers most guards and out-quicks most guys bigger than him. I've been tough on him because he doesn't have great guard skills in the set offense (meaning he doesn't have a consistent jumper and doesn't drive and dish under control in set offense terribly well). He remains a great scorer in transition. But he becomes much more useful in the settled offense when you utilize his post game. Turgeon talked some about getting him more post attempts: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-va-tech-advance-0201-20140131,0,3057075.story

I ran my errands early and was home with lunch made by noon.

In addition to Wells, Seth Allen and Layman had really good games. Smotrycz looked as good as he has in a while.

It looked like Turgeon might've wanted to give Cleare the minutes, but he got into foul trouble (while actually playing okay in very limited time). So Mitchell got the minutes again and he did okay.

It's on watchespn for a streaming replay.

On a separate note, I'm watching Duke @ 'Cuse right now; 35k fans in the Carrier Dome stealing our National Anthem "O".

If the ACC gives these two an annual Home & Away, it'll quickly be amongst the biggest rivalries in the country.

I cringed listening to the starting line-ups: two Duke starters are from DC; one 'Cuse starter is from Baltimore, another is from Bowie, and another is from Wilmington, DE.

And of course Coach K's heir apparent is from Baltimore County.

(I'm at halftime. So if you're awake, don't tell me who won!)

Archived