Passan: Orioles Unwillingness to Spend Hurting Team

Rene88

I don't think this is correct. The bids are in, he must choose by the 24th. The SP feeding frenzy starts then.

Fair enough, I don't know 100% sure. It's still the same time dynamic. 3 weeks till ST. 31 (flavors) pitchers I posted a couple pages ago looking for jobs. ALL those pitchers trying to sign in 25 ish days. I see unspeakable things being done to several of them. Bad things to all.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A scab is some one who breaks a picket line. Millar and Walker were former scabs when they were hired.

I am sure that "scabs" that are kept on are, on occasion, still referred by that moniker by Union members.

There is no doubt they the Orioles hired non-union members for what is a union workplace and in doing so, denied employment to union workers.

I am sure that "scabs" that are kept on are, on occasion, still referred by that moniker by Union members.

There is no doubt they the Orioles hired non-union members for what is a union workplace and in doing so, denied employment to union workers.

How could it be a union work place if non union members are hired. As an actor I can't work on Broadway unless I am in the union, period. The are union/non union split contacts for tours and regional theatre. When a theatre hires a non union actor under those circumstances there's no issue. I would imagine it's similar with MLB. It's not strictly a union workplace. It couldn't be.

How could it be a union work place if non union members are hired. As an actor I can't work on Broadway unless I am in the union, period. The are union/non union split contacts for tours and regional theatre. When a theatre hires a non union actor under those circumstances there's no issue. I would imagine it's similar with MLB. It's not strictly a union workplace. It couldn't be.

I've been a Teamster and a UAW member. I even was on the shift that the midnight deadline passed and we all stopped what we were doing and walked off the job to strike.

The unions I've been in don't tolerate that sort of thing. No way. No how.

I've been a Teamster and a UAW member. I even was on the shift that the midnight deadline passed and we all stopped what we were doing and walked off the job to strike.

The unions I've been in don't tolerate that sort of thing. No way. No how.

Well I have been both a union and non union actor and when the midnight deadline passes, the union guys get double overtime and the non union guys get F'd. That has little to do with MLB. The fact that Millar and Walker and no doubt others are allowed to play tells me it is not strictly a union workplace. More like a Regional Thheatre contract in Showbiz.

Well I have been both a union and non union actor and when the midnight deadline passes, the union guys get double overtime and the non union guys get F'd. That has little to do with MLB. The fact that Millar and Walker and no doubt others are allowed to play tells me it is not strictly a union workplace. More like a Regional Thheatre contract in Showbiz.

My guess is that their continued employment was part of the CBA. I do know that they were never allowed to join the union.

My guess is that their continued employment was part of the CBA. I do know that they were never allowed to join the union.
But that means it's not strictly a union workplace, If it was they couldn't have been signed. And are they the only MLB players who aren't in the union.

But that means it's not strictly a union workplace, If it was they couldn't have been signed. And are they the only MLB players who aren't in the union.

Talked to a friend of mine today. NY Sanitation worker, retired. Union as union can be.

He declared "Once a scab, always a scab."

It isn't like you can decline to join.

"We have resources to extend our payroll. Our payroll is going to be closer to $100 million this year," Duquette said. "Having said that, we are going to need to work internally with our young pitchers to bring them along."

Duquette continued: "This year, if you said $100 [million] that would be reasonable. I think over the course of four years, we have been expanding our payroll. But we are going to stay within the resources of the market."

Sun

"We have resources to extend our payroll. Our payroll is going to be closer to $100 million this year," Duquette said. "Having said that, we are going to need to work internally with our young pitchers to bring them along."

Duquette continued: "This year, if you said $100 [million] that would be reasonable. I think over the course of four years, we have been expanding our payroll. But we are going to stay within the resources of the market."

Sun

Resources of who's market? Peter Angelo? Because the market the Orioles are in certainly should be able to support a market somewhat north of 100m.

Archived