Look out for Kevin Gausman

wildcard

Gausman was interviewed on WBAL Hot Stove last night. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Kevin so confidence in his slider. He believes he has it now. He gained his confidence in his slider from using it in relief late last year. He believes it is an effective pitch. If that is true he has a plus fastball, a plus change up and an effective slider. That, my friends, is the making for a good major league starter.

Another slight mention in the interview was that he had two breaking pitches in college. A slider and a curve. He said when one was not working for him he could go to the other breaking pitch. But the O's took his curve away from him. But that was a different pitching coach. Now here is Dave Wallace asking "What can I do to help you?". Maybe the curve will be brought back. That is just speculation on my part.

I liked the interview. I liked Kevin's confidence in his slider. This could be big for Kevin this year and big for the O's.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/video/v31295369/20140130-orioles-hot-stove-show-mlbtv

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gausman was interviewed on WBAL Hot Stove last night. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Kevin so confidence in his slider. He believes he has it now. He gained his confidence in his slider from using it in relief late last year. He believes it is an effective pitch. If that is true he has a plus fastball, a plus change up and an effective slider. That, my friends, is the making for a good major league starter.

Another slight mention in the interview was that he had two breaking pitches in college. A slider and a curve. He said when one was not working for him he could go to the other breaking pitch. But the O's took his curve away from him. But that was a different pitching coach. Now here is Dave Wallace asking "What can I do to help you?". Maybe the curve will be brought back. That is just speculation on my part.

I liked the interview. I liked Kevin's confidence in his slider. This could be big for Kevin this year and big for the O's.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/video/v31295369/20140130-orioles-hot-stove-show-mlbtv

Thanks for posting, and good news.

I also hear Steve Johnson is pumped and ready for a shot at the rotation.

So maybe with Aceves in camp, the three of them will be pushing each other for a starting job, which is a good thing to have.

The problem with adding the curve is now you have a substantially weaker pitch added to the repertoire. Is it worth the "different look" if it isn't a quality pitch?

That is one of the areas that killed Jake, he would get beat with his fourth best pitch.

I would much rather he work on his slider and commanding the fastball within the strike zone.

They can work on adding the curve back next spring.

This echos Keith Law's comments on Gausman in this Melewski blog post.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2014/01/espns-keith-law-on-gausmans-slider-bundys-rehab-and-more-os-prospect-talk.html

Count me as one that is incredibly excited to see what Gausman can do with a 98 mph fastball, a bugs bunny change and now at minimum league average slider. But Law seems to think it is or can be shortly a plus pitch.

Thanks for posting, and good news.

I also hear Steve Johnson is pumped and ready for a shot at the rotation.

So maybe with Aceves in camp, the three of them will be pushing each other for a starting job, which is a good thing to have.

I forgot we signed Aceves. That guy should be penciled into the bullpen this year. He's very versatile, and knows how to get guys out.

I forgot we signed Aceves. That guy should be penciled into the bullpen this year. He's very versatile, and knows how to get guys out.

I like him as the long man, but he can start and if Gausman ends up in AAA to start the year and Johnson/Britton doesn't pan out, Aceves could be a valid arm to start.

I like him as the long man, but he can start and if Gausman ends up in AAA to start the year and Johnson/Britton doesn't pan out, Aceves could be a valid arm to start.

Well he isn't going to be starting over Tillman, Burnett, Gonzo, or Chen. You think he wins the 5th spot over Norris?

;)

The problem with adding the curve is now you have a substantially weaker pitch added to the repertoire. Is it worth the "different look" if it isn't a quality pitch?

That is one of the areas that killed Jake, he would get beat with his fourth best pitch.

I would much rather he work on his slider and commanding the fastball within the strike zone.

They can work on adding the curve back next spring.

If he has a curve ball that he only throws two or three times per start then do you think it would sabotage an otherwise good outing? I'd be curious what kind of impact a fourth pitch that has a totally different look could have on a performance. Even if it's a little below average it could be effective to throw it in an obvious fast ball count. As long as he didn't lean on it at all and they stay super selective it seems like it could help.

If Kevin tears up spring training' date=' I don't know how the Orioles could not keep him out of their rotation. Don't be surprised folks if Kevin is the Orioles 2014 #4 starter.[/quote']

If he tears it up and becomes the 4th or 5th starter and that pushes Bud to the bullpen, he might become the closer. Wow... a bullpen of Hunter, Webb, Aceves, O'Day, Matusz, Patton, and Norris is actually quite formidable.

Of course, if we sign AJ Burnett, the same thing could happen. At that point, who would become the odd man out if/when Gausman is ready for the rotation? Gonzo? Where does he go?

If he has a curve ball that he only throws two or three times per start then do you think it would sabotage an otherwise good outing? I'd be curious what kind of impact a fourth pitch that has a totally different look could have on a performance. Even if it's a little below average it could be effective to throw it in an obvious fast ball count. As long as he didn't lean on it at all and they stay super selective it seems like it could help.

I just don't want him hanging a crap curve given the other tools that he has. I think the time that could be spent on the curve would be better served elsewhere this spring.

Well he isn't going to be starting over Tillman, Burnett, Gonzo, or Chen. You think he wins the 5th spot over Norris?

;)

Burnett isn't signed yet. So I based what I said on the arms in camp at the moment.

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I actually saw one of the sports projecting Norris in the number 3rd lot, and Chen was at 4, with #5 slot being TBD.

Archived