Look out for Kevin Gausman

wildcard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they sign someone it's not complicated at all. None of the above bump a veteran out of ST. It becomes complicated if they don't sign one, and then everyone pitches well. Fat chance that happening. The veteran will have to pitch his way out of the rotation during the season.

This echos Keith Law's comments on Gausman in this Melewski blog post.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2014/01/espns-keith-law-on-gausmans-slider-bundys-rehab-and-more-os-prospect-talk.html

Count me as one that is incredibly excited to see what Gausman can do with a 98 mph fastball, a bugs bunny change and now at minimum league average slider. But Law seems to think it is or can be shortly a plus pitch.

OK, I'll bite. What the hell is a "bugs bunny change"?

If they sign a veteran SP, then Gausman is not bumping Norris based on ST, no matter how good he looks. If they don't, then he has a shot at making the rotation. Britton will have to look really bad for that to happen though. Whether #4 or #5 is meaningless.

I am not sure this is how it will work. That Gausman gets send down if the other pitchers pitch well. I don't see it that way.

Gausman is a future TOR pitcher. #1 draft choice. He has two plus pitches and he is working on a third in his slider. If the comes to camp and shows command of those three pitches he probably makes the rotation. He says he made great strides with his slider pitching in relief in September. We will see what he has in ST. But he is the future for the O's and I don't see him getting sent down if he has command of three pitches.

Norris can't hold a candle to Gausman stuff. He is a back end of the rotation starter from what he showed in August before he injured his arm in September. Matusz does not have a plus fastball. To be successful as a starter he has to pitch backward relying on his curve, slider and change. The change that hasn't worked for him for two years. He said at Fanfest, he needs 4 pitches to be successful. The rotation is a long shot for him.

To me whether Gausman stays in the rotation is about how Gausman pitches. Can he control his stuff? Is his slider ready for prime time? He has already pitched to a 4.04 ERA at AAA. He will determine by how he pitches if he needs to go down again.

I am not sure this is how it will work. That Gausman gets send down if the other pitchers pitch well. I don't see it that way.

Gausman is a future TOR pitcher. #1 draft choice. He has two plus pitches and he is working on a third in his slider. If the comes to camp and shows command of those three pitches he probably makes the rotation. He says he made great strides with his slider pitching in relief in September. We will see what he has in ST. But he is the future for the O's and I don't see him getting sent down if he has command of three pitches.

Norris can't hold a candle to Gausman stuff. He is a back end of the rotation starter from what he showed in August before he injured his arm in September. Matusz does not have a plus fastball. To be successful as a starter he has to pitch backward relying on his curve, slider and change. The change that hasn't worked for him for two years. He said at Fanfest, he needs 4 pitches to be successful. The rotation is a long shot for him.

To me whether Gausman stays in the rotation is about how Gausman pitches. Can he control his stuff? Is his slider ready for prime time? He has already pitched to a 4.04 ERA at AAA. He will determine by how he pitches if he needs to go down again.

WC,

Gausman is a future TOR, yes, for sure.

However, he only has 20 minor league starts.

So do not be surprise that he starts the year in AAA, even if he has a good spring, Buck is going to want him to have more starts under his belt, unless he is out of choices.

WC,

Gausman is a future TOR, yes, for sure.

However, he only has 20 minor league starts.

So do not be surprise that he starts the year in AAA, even if he has a good spring, Buck is going to want him to have more starts under his belt, unless he is out of choices.

If he commands three pitches it will not matter how many starts he has at AAA.

Does anyone know the earliest date at which Gausman can be brought up (permanently) and not be ale to accrue a year's service time this season?

Easy enough to figure out. Gausman has 71 days of service time. 172 days (not games) counts as a full year. The final game of the year is September 28. 100 days including Sept. 28 would be June 21. But I don't think the O's will play that game if Gausman is their best option at any point.

Does anyone know the earliest date at which Gausman can be brought up (permanently) and not be ale to accrue a year's service time this season?

Gausman has 71 days of major league service. The O's have under their control for at least 6 more seasons before free agency. As far as arbitration goes he has to be under 2 years, 120 days to avoid being a Super Two in three years. That means he would have to have only have 49 days in the majors this year. That is probably not going to happen.

Easy enough to figure out. Gausman has 71 days of service time. 172 days (not games) counts as a full year. The final game of the year is September 28. 100 days including Sept. 28 would be June 21. But I don't think the O's will play that game if Gausman is their best option at any point.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how many days count for a full year. It will be interesting to see how they will deal with Gausman's innings this year, as he did not get as many as planned last year because of his move to the bullpen.

If he commands three pitches it will not matter how many starts he has at AAA.

The safe move is for the O's to send him to AAA and let him prove that he can command three pitches. I don't consider a 4.04 ERA at Norfolk, or the 4.40 ERA he had in relief after returning to Baltimore on August 31, to establish a strong case to start the year in the Orioles' rotation. Yeah he flashed a good slider at times as a reliever, but that's not the same thing as throwing it well over 6-7 innings on a regular basis. That said, I think Gausman will get plenty of chances this spring to show how he is progressing, so I can't rule out the possibility that he wins a spot. I just don't think it's that likely.

Archived