Look out for Kevin Gausman

wildcard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to ask someone that he has impressed. :D

I was unhappy with the deal at the time.

If I had to guess then he was a piece that could theoretically be useful for the playoff push last season and going forward.

Yet, you seem to think he has a lock on the 5th spot in the rotation? I'm not sure I disagree, only because of what he's being paid. However, having watched both he and Aceves pitch over the years there's no doubt in my mind as to who has the better stuff between the two. It's just Aceves has been a sideshow all in himself.

And Burnett isn't signed. Yet. Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, Norris, ?. It's not beyond the realm of possibilities. Norris also has options, but I would think he would have to be awful to be sent down for what they are paying him. And it wouldn't be until many failed attempts starting and then in the BP.

Yet, you seem to think he has a lock on the 5th spot in the rotation? I'm not sure I disagree, only because of what he's being paid. However, having watched both he and Aceves pitch over the years there's no doubt in my mind as to who has the better stuff between the two. It's just Aceves has been a sideshow all in himself.

And Burnett isn't signed. Yet. Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, Norris, ?. It's not beyond the realm of possibilities. Norris also has options, but I would think he would have to be awful to be sent down for what they are paying him. And it wouldn't be until many failed attempts starting and then in the BP.

I don't see a guy the O's traded a pick and prospects for being kicked out of the starting rotation by someone they signed to a minor league deal. At least not out of spring training.

And I think he has a lock on the fourth slot barring any new acquisitions.

I don't see a guy the O's traded a pick and prospects for being kicked out of the starting rotation by someone they signed to a minor league deal. At least not out of spring training.

And I think he has a lock on the fourth slot barring any new acquisitions.

Gausman could push Norris to the #5 spot this spring. But that is not a definite. But if Gausman does and the O's add a veteran starter then Norris may not have a spot in the rotation.

Gausman could push Norris to the #5 spot this spring. But that is not a definite. But if Gausman does and the O's add a veteran starter then Norris may not have a spot in the rotation.

Even if Gausman comes on strong I still think Buck wouldn't bump a vet for a rookie in the starting rotation to start the year.

Norris has not impressed me.
Me neither, but I'm not sure we saw him at his best.
Pretty much anyone in the majors can be impressive at their best.

Let me express it another way: I think Norris was having some arm fatigue and soreness issues during his time in Baltimore last season. Therefore, while I was not impressed by what I saw, I have an open mind about what he may do this season with a fresher arm.

Let me express it another way: I think Norris was having some arm fatigue and soreness issues during his time in Baltimore last season. Therefore, while I was not impressed by what I saw, I have an open mind about what he may do this season with a fresher arm.

I can see that. I look at the platoon splits and fly ball tendencies and see a limited ceiling.

I agree.

Gausman's curve and Slider were both underdeveloped in college. The slider occasionally flashed plus while the curve did not show adequate room for growth. Adding it now will just serve as a distraction. If Gausman can tighten up the slider, his three pitch combo will be more than enough. Eventually the curve could be a show me pitch, but it's not a necessary focal point right now.

I am not big on pitchers with big-time curves in college, their arms are still too young and maturing. Those are the kind of pitchers who using end up with an earlier end to their pro career.

Even if Gausman comes on strong I still think Buck wouldn't bump a vet for a rookie in the starting rotation to start the year.

If Gausman shows command of three pitches he will be the rotation. He has as high a ceiling as anyone the O's have. No used to waste that in the minors. If the O's add a veteran pitcher Norris gets bumped from the rotation. The big question is has Gausman progressed with his command and the development of his slider to that point?

If Gausman shows command of three pitches he will be the rotation. He has as high a ceiling as anyone the O's have. No used to waste that in the minors. If the O's add a veteran pitcher Norris gets bumped from the rotation. The big question is has Gausman progressed with his command and the development of his slider to that point?

I can see Gausman bumping Norris from the rotation. What I was saying is if they are both in the rotation then Norris will be #4 and Gausman #5. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but Buck is going to give the respect to the Vet.

I can see Gausman bumping Norris from the rotation. What I was saying is if they are both in the rotation then Norris will be #4 and Gausman #5. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but Buck is going to give the respect to the Vet.

Maybe. Until Gausman out pitches him. Which shouldn't take long. Gausman has so much more ability once he learns to control it.

Norris was on MLB Radio this morning at 1100. Said he was fighting some elbow soreness down the stretch last year. Nothing that needed surgery but needed rest. Speculated that he was pushing too hard when he came over because he was too amped up.

He said he rested and watched tape to see what he was doing wrong (sinker technique was likely culprit). He said that feels better and that he was working on a nagging hip issue with his trainer. Said that core and leg fitness is great right now and that he's been playing long toss and has thrown off the mound 3-4 times with FB and changes. Waiting to get into breaking stuff until spring training.

He also talked about how great Fanfest was and that the atmosphere was great.

Seems confident about this year and seems like a pretty nice guy.

If they sign a veteran SP, then Gausman is not bumping Norris based on ST, no matter how good he looks. If they don't, then he has a shot at making the rotation. Britton will have to look really bad for that to happen though. Whether #4 or #5 is meaningless.

Archived