Yoon Suk-min pitches for O's and Giants

Can_of_corn

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will tell you where Yoon to the Yankees started. Yesterday on Ken Weinman's show a guy called in and said "Yoon to the Yankees, coming across the wire right now!" not in a joking way at all. I don't know if Ken didn't hear him or thought he was joking and ignored it but the topic got changed quickly and the comment was passed over.

This thread was updated right after that exchange happened, so I am guessing that is where the friend heard it.

I know the way he said it he sounded like he was serious, and caused my to get right on Twitter and search the subject. I found out real fast that the guy was either making things up or just had some really erroneous information. There was nothing of the sort reported anywhere.

But I came away in that moment thinking that yes the Yankees did sign Yoon. As I am sure many others did as well.

I will tell you where Yoon to the Yankees started. Yesterday on Ken Weinman's show a guy called in and said "Yoon to the Yankees, coming across the wire right now!" not in a joking way at all. I don't know if Ken didn't hear him or thought he was joking and ignored it but the topic got changed quickly and the comment was passed over.

This thread was updated right after that exchange happened, so I am guessing that is where the friend heard it.

I know the way he said it he sounded like he was serious, and caused my to get right on Twitter and search the subject. I found out real fast that the guy was either making things up or just had some really erroneous information. There was nothing of the sort reported anywhere.

But I came away in that moment thinking that yes the Yankees did sign Yoon. As I am sure many others did as well.

What does it matter? I don't care if those Skanks signed Yoon, Burnett, Arroyo, and the rest. They will do nothing but lose. It's like a late night comedy show, Skanks never win.

Pronunciation Guide.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Dk7lwNop27Q?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for finding an auditory sample; as I noted earlier, the "k" is pronounced like a "ng." However, the video's explanation that it depends on the speed of pronunciation is just plain wrong. As you saw, to get the "ㄱ" pronounced like a "k" you have to pronounce each syllable so slowly and separately that, in fact, they are no longer parts of a larger phrase (his full name), but independent entities, as if we were to say "Goo Eez" at the end of Rodriguez or "Loo Guh" for Lough or "Pu Jols" or "Ch Ris." We would only do something like that to help someone spell the words, not pronounce them. The video's pronunciation of the name as "Seong-min" is just the normal speed, not particularly rushed. The "ㄱ" is pronounced like a "ng" not because of rapidness, but because of the following consonant "ㅁ (m)," i.e. the phonological context, and anyone who has studied Korean linguistics knows that, just like English speakers know how to pronounce the "s" in "cars" and "horse" with more force than the "s" in "castle" because of its context and location in the word.

As for using "eo" instead of "o" to represent "ㅓ," I think it's more confusing to English speakers because of words like "theory," "theocracy," "bourgeoisie," "neo-Oriolism," etc. In each instance, "eo" is pronounced very differently. I suppose the "eo" the video's aiming for is like the one in "George." I simply suggested "o" as in "lost" to cut down on the possibilities for misreading.

Needless to say, this is all due to the slipperiness of English spelling, not Korean orthography (known as "hangeul"), which is among the most rationally structured and unambiguous spelling systems in the history of civilization.

Dude, when I rocked out of Korean at DLI they promised the lessons would stop.

It was part of the deal.

:P

As for Hangeul Mal, I personally couldn't tell the difference between -l and l- and it doomed me.

I can still curse a bit tho.

Haha--I apologize for continuing the lessons! Interesting: It's usually distinguishing ㅓ, ㅜ, and ㅡ that confounds early learners (or ㅈ vs. ㅊ). If you couldn't hear the difference between ㅓ and ㅏ you really must have driven yourself and your instructors crazy--I sympathize!

Dude, when I rocked out of Korean at DLI they promised the lessons would stop.

It was part of the deal.

:P

As for Hangeul Mal, I personally couldn't tell the difference between -l and l- and it doomed me.

I can still curse a bit tho.

By the way, one of my uncles used to teach at DLI--he was very proud of it.

And yeah, the cursing is easier, especially because one is usually drunk and relaxed when learning it!

Haha--I apologize for continuing the lessons! Interesting: It's usually distinguishing ㅓ, ㅜ, and ㅡ that confounds early learners (or ㅈ vs. ㅊ). If you couldn't hear the difference between ㅓ and ㅏ you really must have driven yourself and your instructors crazy--I sympathize!
By the way, one of my uncles used to teach at DLI--he was very proud of it.

And yeah, the cursing is easier, especially because one is usually drunk and relaxed when learning it!

I might be off one the two I got confused, it's been a long time (btw I still remember how to say that in Korean).

Heck I might have had your Uncle as an instructor. If so he shouldn't feel bad, if you can't hear the language correctly you are sunk and I could tell I was going to fail out very early in the process.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: negotiations for RHP, Suk-Min Yoon down to 2 AL East teams (<a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and likely the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BlueJays&src=hash">#BlueJays</a>) <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rangers&src=hash">#Rangers</a> were also in but unlikely.</p>— GSI (@GSIntegration) <a href="

">February 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Having a player choose to play in Canada instead of Baltimore would be the last kick in what has thus far been a ballbustingly horrific season.

I mean no offense to Canada, but signing there seems to be the last item on most, if not all, player's wishlist.

He is from Korea, he doesn't know the difference between Toronto and Arizona. I have never been to Toronto but I would rate Montreal and Quebec City over Baltimore, of course I only visited them in Summer.

Having a player choose to play in Canada instead of Baltimore would be the last kick in what has thus far been a ballbustingly horrific season.

I mean no offense to Canada, but signing there seems to be the last item on most, if not all, player's wishlist.

It'll be worse if he signs with the Gnats.

Archived