Yoon Suk-min pitches for O's and Giants

Can_of_corn

Source? I've read Scott Boras floating 90-91. Tape from KBO shows 86-88.

From MLB trade rumors...

Yoon, 27, was considered Korea's second-best starting pitcher behind Hyun-jin Ryu following the 2012 season. A shoulder injury in 2013 prompted a move the the closer's role with the Kia TIgers last season, but from 2011-12 Yoon posted a 2.77 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 in 325 1/3 innings as a starter. As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes noted in Yoon's free agent profile, his fastball sits in the 91 to 93 mph range, and he won the KBO's MVP Award in 2011 for his outstanding work in the Kia Tigers' rotation.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From MLB trade rumors...

Yoon, 27, was considered Korea's second-best starting pitcher behind Hyun-jin Ryu following the 2012 season. A shoulder injury in 2013 prompted a move the the closer's role with the Kia TIgers last season, but from 2011-12 Yoon posted a 2.77 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 in 325 1/3 innings as a starter. As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes noted in Yoon's free agent profile, his fastball sits in the 91 to 93 mph range, and he won the KBO's MVP Award in 2011 for his outstanding work in the Kia Tigers' rotation.

What exactly was wrong with his shoulder?

From MLB trade rumors...

Very interesting. I've watched about an hour of tape with gun readings in KBO and his fastball sat 135-145 KPH (86-88 MPH). Televised gun readings in KBO are far from reliable, but the same could be said of reports that come in national media profiles for pending free agents.

It will be interesting to revisit this topic in a year when the proof is in the pudding. I'm skeptical he sits 90 or higher.

What exactly was wrong with his shoulder?

From mlb trade rumors...

Yoon dealt with a shoulder injury in 2013, about which not much is known publicly. Jee-ho Yoo of the Yonhap News Agency tells me the injury "seemed serious." Yoon made 11 starts with a 4.16 ERA, as well as 19 relief appearances with a 3.60 mark. Yoon's coaches asked him to close for the Kia Tigers in their time of need in August, prompting his move to the bullpen. At any rate, Yoon's 172 1/3 innings in 2011 was a career-high, so 30 big league starts would be a new level for him. The increased travel may have worn on Ryu this year and could affect Yoon as well. After an off year, it may have made sense to rebuild value in Korea, but Yoon wants to come over now.

Yoon has certainly been accessible to scouts over the years in Korea, and he has pitched in the 2008 Summer Olympics and the 2009 and 2013 World Baseball Classics. However, we haven't seen much in the way of scouting reports in the public arena yet, and it's unclear if he even rates as an MLB starter. One MLB executive I spoke to sees Yoon as a reliever.

I'll respectfully disagree. If you believe the rosiest reports and are confident that he's 100% healthy, I think you could project his stuff as mid-rotation caliber. Even then, he's coming off a shoulder injury and has only surpassed 155 IP once. So, like I said before, I'm not sure he can handle starting in MLB physically even if he has 3 average or better pitches.

Actually the more research I do on him he seems more suited as a back of the pen guy, perhaps a closer. I've also read 2 or 3 yrs for 10 mil so possibly a 2 yr deal could be be less than 10 mil.

Yeah, unfortunately for us I think this is what we get as the veteran starter. Can't say I'm surprised.

Yet at the same time, any team that signs Yoon will likely do so with the intention of using him as a starter. So don’t expect a team to take a flier on the right-hander without a thorough evaluation of his medical history.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1946537-could-korean-pitcher-suk-min-yoon-be-the-next-hyun-jin-ryu

Very interesting. I've watched about an hour of tape with gun readings in KBO and his fastball sat 135-145 KPH (86-88 MPH). Televised gun readings in KBO are far from reliable, but the same could be said of reports that come in national media profiles for pending free agents.

It will be interesting to revisit this topic in a year when the proof is in the pudding. I'm skeptical he sits 90 or higher.

I am guessing the 93 number came before the injury.

The Orioles have enough interest in signing Korean right-hander Suk-min Yoon that they have made him an offer, according to an industry source.

Yoon has received multiple offers to pitch in the major leagues in 2014, but he has not yet made a decision, a source said. That could come within the next several days.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-have-made-an-offer-to-korean-pitcher-yoon-source-says-20140203,0,6902607.story#ixzz2sMASGObU

Rangers have a need.

The Rangers' interest is a new wrinkle in the Yoon saga, but Kwon cites an official from the Boras Coporation (which represents Yoon) in saying that Texas has scouted Yoon for more than two years. Interest on the Rangers' side picked up after Derek Holland's injury, the official said.

Boras is Yoons agent.

Six to Seven teams interested.

Lets close this thread before it becomes another 20 page thread on a guy that we don't sign.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/latest-on-suk-min-yoon.html

Archived