The Duquette Doubletalk

birdcrazy

No, it doesn't bother me. I expect a certain amount of doubletalk from my GM. I care much more about what they do, than what they say.

Right now, of the things you listed, the only thing I care much about is the failure to sign a solid starting pitcher. If we don't do that before the season starts, I'll be pretty disappointed about it. Not because Duquette said he was going to try to sign one, though. Because I think we need one.

I'll agree about the starting pitcher, namely Burnett. However, striking two deals because of medicals, especially the Balfour deal and then going after Yoon who is coming off a shoulder injury seems contradictory. What they found wrong with Balfour was knee and wrist not his arm. Hmm.... and I never wanted the guy. Yoon, though, they're fine with signing.

At what point are the FO people including Dan held accountable for what they say? The owner certainly isn't otherwise we would have had some talent last year after our PO run.

Dan is finding out what a fine line he has to walk working for this owner.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never thought I'd see someone say something like this after back to back winning seasons and a playoff appearance. I'm not thrilled about this off season but Duquette has been a success, in my opinion.

I agree with you. It's what have you done for the team lately. Some seem so sure

the team is screwed without FA. I remember when they signed Miggy. How well

did that work out? I just wonder how they will feel if the team gets into the

playoffs. They will be climbing back on the DD bandwagon. Before blowing a

gasket I want to see how the team does.

Just saying, when DD fails to sign that elusive SP before OD (and forget about a MOO bat), his two failed off-seasons will rank near the bottom.... and just when they got so close, a couple key acquisitions could of made all the difference... of course that no doubt has magnified his ineptness... what a very, very, very disappointing off-season... thanks form nothing DD! (Please, we are begging you, no more minor leaguers who may or many not be invited to SP.)

Oh please this team doesn't need hitters it needs pitching. And this thanks for

nothing DD seems so childish. I just wonder if the O's make the playoffs this

season what will your feelings about DD be?

I agree with you. It's what have you done for the team lately. Some seem so sure

No it's not ... I don't blame Duquette even though I have no proof I think he is handcuffed like every other GM since Gillick was fired. I believe he identified the teams needs and intended on filling them. He even traded Johnson and was intent on Balfour as a less expensive option as a way to clear some payroll. Angelos blocked the Balfour deal as I'm certain everyone in baseball knows....Duquette pointed out the teams needs and during his next interview to be a real GM he can point to the fact that Angelos tied his hands. He needed this job and wasn't exactly in demand. In regards to Buck it was nearly the same thing.... Buck was in broadcasting and didn't have other options. They had a few things go right and broke the losing streak string and even snuck in to the playoffs via the wild card. If any of you think that should excuse the Orioles for not upgrading the team that's okay....but you shouldn't expect others to feel the same way. I'm personally tired of Angelos and his excuses that include the Nats as a reason not to spend in order to look like your not making money. If nothing else the payroll should've increased. 25 million over last year and there's no good excuse!

Oh please this team doesn't need hitters it needs pitching. And this thanks for

nothing DD seems so childish. I just wonder if the O's make the playoffs this

season what will your feelings about DD be?

The same as they've been for a while: AM acquired most of the good players on this team, and DD is reaping the benefits. This is almost entirely from the success of AM's trades (Jones, Davis, Tillman, Hardy etc).

More or less where I am. If the O's have a losing record this year, there will be people coming after him with torches and pitchforks. if we make the playoffs, all will be forgotten. In between, you'll get some people who are really angry we didn't do more but other people who will say in the big picture we are still moving in the right direction.

More or less where I am. If the O's have a losing record this year, there will be people coming after him with torches and pitchforks. if we make the playoffs, all will be forgotten. In between, you'll get some people who are really angry we didn't do more but other people who will say in the big picture we are still moving in the right direction.

Either way, Potter wins all the marbles. But we the people do love our circuses.

No it's not ... I don't blame Duquette even though I have no proof I think he is handcuffed like every other GM since Gillick was fired. I believe he identified the teams needs and intended on filling them. He even traded Johnson and was intent on Balfour as a less expensive option as a way to clear some payroll. Angelos blocked the Balfour deal as I'm certain everyone in baseball knows....Duquette pointed out the teams needs and during his next interview to be a real GM he can point to the fact that Angelos tied his hands. He needed this job and wasn't exactly in demand. In regards to Buck it was nearly the same thing.... Buck was in broadcasting and didn't have other options. They had a few things go right and broke the losing streak string and even snuck in to the playoffs via the wild card. If any of you think that should excuse the Orioles for not upgrading the team that's okay....but you shouldn't expect others to feel the same way. I'm personally tired of Angelos and his excuses that include the Nats as a reason not to spend in order to look like your not making money. If nothing else the payroll should've increased. 25 million over last year and there's no good excuse!

I don't know if it should be 100 million or 25 million more but the Orioles should have beat Arroyo's offer. Basically giving JJ's money to him. If they did that and we signed him everyone would have been satisfied with a 93 million dollar payroll. I don't doubt that the Balfour fiasco is making it hard for players to take the Orioles offers seriously and I am sure DD has to wait for Angelos to approve any deal over a million.

I might have to disagree with you on this. Last year the team got a pass for their lack of moves during the off-season. Doing it two years in a row plus doing salary dumps doesn't make for a happy fan-base. I feel like DD convinced Angelos to make those trading deadline moves last year and the Orioles didn't make the playoffs and now Angelos is like I told you so and DD is not getting any money for anyone.

Do you remember years 1998 through 2011? I think Dan can stay for a while.

Dan can stay a while, but he better be buying MacPhail steak dinners for the rest of his life, because MacPhail's trades have largely been genius where-as Dan's signings and trades have largely been so-so or busts.

Yeah, I guess DD should be telling us the exact details that are being discussed in the front office so us fans are in the know. DD has pretty much stated what philosophy is going to be going forward. We also have a pretty good idea of what the the salary structure is going to be in the near term. it's not that hard to add 2 and 2.

As far as Feldman goes, it was pretty apparent that the front office was in contact with his agent and discussing the basic structure of a deal. We didn't make a formal offer because that structure had exceeded what we were willing to pay. That's the way the process works. Pretty sure this would be the same for Mclouth. Adding 2 and 2 again, I doubt we were really seriously interested in Brob returning. You say stuff not to hurt players feelings..even though the overly sensitive players seem to always have their feelings hurt anyways.

I might have to disagree with you on this. Last year the team got a pass for their lack of moves during the off-season. Doing it two years in a row plus doing salary dumps doesn't make for a happy fan-base. I feel like DD convinced Angelos to make those trading deadline moves last year and the Orioles didn't make the playoffs and now Angelos is like I told you so and DD is not getting any money for anyone.

You're entitled to your your opinion I guess, even if it is seemingly ridiculous.

Archived