The Duquette Doubletalk

birdcrazy

One thing that is starting to bother me is how Duquette constantly says the opposite of what he does.

I am talking things like-

-Indicating you have interest in resigning Roberts, McLouth and Feldman, but never even making an offer.

- Saying you will tender Jim Johnson a contract and trading him before doing so.

- Saying we are "Trying to win now" while managing an off season that has been mostly about subtraction.

- Saying he had extension talks with Davis, but then it turns out whatever was discussed was so insignificant that Davis was never even told.

- Saying in every interview how the Orioles need a frontline starting pitcher, then even when we get down the wire and players get a little desperate, not doing what it takes to close deals.

- Voiding two contracts over physicals, then continually looking at players coming off major injuries (Yoon).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it doesn't bother me. I expect a certain amount of doubletalk from my GM. I care much more about what they do, than what they say.

Right now, of the things you listed, the only thing I care much about is the failure to sign a solid starting pitcher. If we don't do that before the season starts, I'll be pretty disappointed about it. Not because Duquette said he was going to try to sign one, though. Because I think we need one.

The physical over Balfour is what I think sprung the hate loose this off-season. Imagine if everything stayed the same to this point except the team signed Balfour. There would be some grumbling but not to this extent. I'd bet Balfour would have been a hit at FanFest.

I don't understand why the O's are not going after any of the needed free agents? It seems like winning isn't as important as money saved. The O's fail to recognize free agents is an auction of bidders and it seems like Angelos and Duquette are pissied at the system of the way it is. The O's are in the AL east and they think they are fooling the fans by signing these washed up minor league free agents they will not help the O's.

I bet that the pitcher who is going to be the best bargain is Jiminez who was awesome with the Rockies and got injured and he started showing he is back last year. Remember the Pirates signed Francisco Liriano when he was just healing from his injurys and helped to Pirates to the playoffs. If the O's can sign Jiminez and lose the 17th round pick I think we should forgive them and they will have a good off season.

A lot of failure going on with the Orioles organization this offseason. If they go into next week having not signed Burnett....it will be a colossal failure of an offseason completely riddled in the status-quo.

Ditto... and wouldn't that make TWO colossal failed off-seasons under DD? And after being so, so close... I too have no confidence in DD and would like to see him traded to the National league for any minor league player.... we'd even give him a free physical pass.

Ditto... and wouldn't that make TWO colossal failed off-seasons under DD? And after being so, so close... I too have no confidence in DD and would like to see him traded to the National league for any minor league player.... we'd even give him a free physical pass.

Do you remember years 1998 through 2011? I think Dan can stay for a while.

A lot of failure going on with the Orioles organization this offseason. If they go into next week having not signed Burnett....it will be a colossal failure of an offseason completely riddled in the status-quo.

Agreed, if don't add impact players and play in the AL East you're looking at 4th or 5th place. DD is gambling most our pitchers make big improvements in 2014. That's a bad gamble. As far as I am concerned his reputation is on the line here.

Do you remember years 1998 through 2011? I think Dan can stay for a while.

Unfortunately, I remember them oh so well... one bright moment (Miggy in 2004)... DD is on course to rank near the bottom with the rest of the failed GMs.

Unfortunately, I remember them oh so well... one bright moment (Miggy in 2004)... DD is on course to rank near the bottom with the rest of the failed GMs.

I never thought I'd see someone say something like this after back to back winning seasons and a playoff appearance. I'm not thrilled about this off season but Duquette has been a success, in my opinion.

They aren't going to sign Burnett. He doesn't want to pitch in Baltimore.

As I said last night they (DD & PA) are waiting for the last man standing it appears and trying to get the cheapest deal in town. We'll probably wait to the last possible minute and sign whoevers left for an under 10 mill a year starter. It appears we will never go double digits meaning 10 million + for a pitcher.

Archived