Why National League Pitchers will NEVER come to the AL East

weams

Yeah, but when the top 4 pitchers in our system were Matusz, Tillman, Britton, and Arrietta, did you love them too?

We have not drafted and developed a starting pitcher capable of being a quality major league starter in a rotation for 4+ seasons, since Mike Mussina who we drafted well over two decades ago.

Hope it changes but I'm going to have to see it happen before I start drooling over guys coming through our farm system. Been down that road too may times, had Lucy pull the football away at the last minute over and over again.

I always thought highly of Tillman and always thought he was the best of that bunch. Always. Jake had me in his ether a time or two. And I remember hoping that Tony was right about Britton. But he got hurt. Like Bergesen did.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do love the top four pitchers in our system.

Gausman

Bundy

Rodriguez

Harvey

Wright

And that does not even take into consideration MacFarland, Berry, Kline and Davies.

Gausman only has two pitches. Bundy just had Tommy John surgery, Harvey has only pitched three games at Aberdeen. And you listed five pitchers and said you love the top 4.

Gausman only has two potentially elite pitches. Bundy just had Tommy John surgery, Harvey has only pitched three games at Aberdeen. And you listed five pitchers and said you love the top 4.

Fixed part of that for you. Your technically right on your points, though I think Gausman will prove to have 3 solid pitches fairly soon. However, apparently the entire scouting community loves our young pitching so its not like Weams is pulling this out of his posterior.

However, apparently the entire scouting community loves our young pitching so its not like Weams is pulling this out of his posteriored. .

It makes it awfully hard for us to trade right now because of that. It's like when Toronto had Carpenter and Halladay. . Do you trade them? Even if you need to?

Gausman only has two pitches. Bundy just had Tommy John surgery, Harvey has only pitched three games at Aberdeen. And you listed five pitchers and said you love the top 4.

I guess you weren't watching at the end of last season. He threw a SL consistently that was pretty nasty, 88 mph with a hard bite. He worked on it a lot over the season. You really should try to keep up. If he brings that SL to ST this year we might not be able to keep him out of the rotation.

There is a lot of internal concern that Kemp will ever perform well again. It's the Grady Sizemore risk. High upside. And you pay for it with Kemp.

Health is certainly a valid concern with Kemp and something I am obviously not privy to the details. So are we talking valid concern shared by the industry as a whole or O's Balfour type concern? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

I always thought highly of Tillman and always thought he was the best of that bunch. Always. Jake had me in his ether a time or two. And I remember hoping that Tony was right about Britton. But he got hurt. Like Bergesen did.

All I know is, when Tampa brings up a young pitcher that has done well in the minors, I expect him to pitch well almost immediately in the majors, stay fairly healthy, be somehwere between good and great almost from the start, and contribute to their rotation for several years. And never go back down to the minors.

When Baltimore brings up the exact same pitcher, I expect him to battle injuires, show flashes of being great, but struggle, get hit hard, bounce between Baltimore and Norfolk, be handed a rotation spot but not be good enough to hold it, maybe at best put together one or two good years, and wind up being traded to the Cubs for a bag of balls.

And in both cases, I am usually right.

All I know is, when Tampa brings up a young pitcher that has done well in the minors, I expect him to pitch well almost immediately in the majors, stay fairly healthy, be somehwere between good and great almost from the start, and contribute to their rotation for several years. And never go back down to the minors.

When Baltimore brings up the exact same pitcher, I expect him to battle injuires, show flashes of being great, but struggle, get hit hard, bounce between Baltimore and Norfolk, be handed a rotation spot but not be good enough to hold it, maybe at best put together one or two good years, and wind up being traded to the Cubs for a bag of balls.

Rays have been passed by the Cards on the pitching development front.

It's the Rays Way!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1207224/index.htm

Health is certainly a valid concern with Kemp and something I am obviously not privy to the details. So are we talking valid concern shared by the industry as a whole or O's Balfour type concern? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

I did not hear it from an Orioles Dr. or Executive if that is what you are asking. I have heard he is not even doing any strengthening at all yet.

Apparently he had to have micro fracture surgery, Thats' pretty serious from what I have heard.

Archived