Connolly: source says Arroyo scared off by Balfour situation (Schmuck Update)

TradeAngelos

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-bronson-arroyo-grant-balfour-effect-20140210,0,5099758.story

But, according to one source, another serious factor was that the Orioles had failed two players' physicals this offseason -- outfielder Tyler Colvin's one-year deal and the high-profile decision to walk away from Balfour and his two-year, $15 million agreement due to concerns about his right shoulder.

Arroyo will be 37 this month. He has never been on the disabled list. He keeps himself in tremendous shape. But he also has thrown more than 2,300 innings, counting playoffs, in his major league career. Certainly, there is wear and tear on his arm -- no way there couldn't be.

The concern, the source said, was that if the Orioles weren't 100 percent committed to Arroyo and the deal they had offered, the club could pull back on the deal after the physical and attempt to re-negotiate an agreement.

And, this late in the offseason, especially with a 37-year-old, there'd be very little chance he could find a similar contract elsewhere if he were perceived as potentially damaged goods.

It's impossible to say that was the leading factor in Arroyo's decision to go to Arizona, but it seemingly played a part.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this is why people got really upset about the Balfour thing. It's going to have an effect for quite some time, folks.

It makes perfect sense. If Arroyo agrees to terms, then they fail him at this point of the offseason, he loses a ton of money. Why even bother? Balfour got lucky it was much earlier in the offseason and he had time to show the evidence of other doctors and repair his value.

Arroyo doesn't have that time right now if he were to be labeled "damaged goods" by a team this close to spring training.

Considering how many ball players of all sports reside in the Arizona area, when their playing days are done. Surely, that doesn't have anything to do with it.

I agree, but I'm sure the Balfour fiasco probably does factor in somewhat. Remember the Jeromy Burnitz mess from 7 or 8 years ago, the Orioles physicals are over the top and discriminating and all of it comes back to the fact that the owner is not willing to take on a lot of risk. He's just not willing.

Considering how many ball players of all sports reside in the Arizona area, when their playing days are done. Surely, that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Now we are using the local retirement options as an excuse??? Are you serious?

Please tell me that was a bad attempt at a joke.

I am shocked, shocked, shocked! How could anyone think that the O's and PA could stoop to such a thing? And shame on Dan Connolly a hereto fore highly respected national baseball writer, with formerly impeccable sources, for spreading such egregious slander.

Nice article by Connolly. The Balfour thing will linger and might be one of those deals where if all things being equal you could move in the other direction. At a minimum, the theory put forth by Connolly is very plausible. Nice to hear that the final offer was very competitive, if you wanted Arroyo that is.

I am shocked, shocked, shocked! How could anyone think that the O's and PA could stoop to such a thing? And shame on Dan Connolly a hereto fore highly respected national baseball writer, with formerly impeccable sources, for spreading such egregious slander.

I like this post. Made me laugh. :thumbsup1:

He didn't accuse them of stooping to anything.

Archived