Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price

Greg

After the whole Burnett fiasco and over reaction, I am not sure what to believe anymore. Who the heck would leak this? Morales's agent? Now, I could see DD going in there and telling him "Here's our best offer, and my total authority, I will not go back to ask for more." I do have a questions, is Cafardo a legit unbiased reporter from Boston?

Cafardo has a pretty solid rep as a baseball writer who covers the Sox as well as MLB. He's a frequent contributor on the MLB Network and NESN. I read him often in the Globe and he seems fair.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This club deserves no excuse making, IMHO.

They botched Balfour, but there were/are a million SP options that make sense for this club. They passed/lost on Colon, Hudson, Burnett, Arroyo, Garza...and if this continues they'll lose out on Jimenez, Santana, and the rest.

This club is really hard to root for. I'm trying to abstract out Angelos from all of this, but he's the freakin' devil.

They asked specifically about the Johnson money.

I think it is obvious that the plan was to use Johnson's money and get Balfour and Webb.

That is, in a vacuum, a solid move.

I was not talking about spending in a larger sense.

Might be Angelos telling Scott Boras, Morales' agent that he can't afford Morales because Boras is asking too much money for his other client Chris Davis.

I can see Angelos telling Boras if he wants him to sign Morales he will have to bring CD's price down. Its worth a try.

There is a lot going on between the O's and Boras right now.

They asked specifically about the Johnson money.

I think it is obvious that the plan was to use Johnson's money and get Balfour and Webb.

That is, in a vacuum, a solid move.

I was not talking about spending in a larger sense.

Was the plan really to use Johnson's money for Balfour and Webb? Maybe for Duquette, but the whole thing wreaks of Angelos sticking his hand where it doesn't belong and botching the entire thing.

"[Nick] Cafardo hears that the Pirates aren't willing to forfeit the draft pick they would need to sign Morales. He also hears that Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price."

"Showalter would prefer a full-time DH, "and I think we have the potential to have some better contributions out of the DH spot this year. But how many DH-only (players) are there?"

These two bits of information making it to the public lead me to believe that both Duquette and Showalter feel that Morales is a necessary addition and Peter Angelos is

thwarting them. And they aren't willing to fall on the sword for him.

Piecing together the extending of Buck and Dan's contracts and the inexplicable events of this offseasion, such as punting on obvious helpful pieces in what is by all accounts a "go-for-it-soon" team, I can only conclude that PA is following his cold, calculating business crusade even to the extent of bait-and-switching his GM and Manager.

It's just pretty comical, this club can't sign one or two F/A that would change the season to a positive mode.Everyone this club attempts to sign,it's a major deal or outcome. Just get on with it, there is nothing happening here. It is what it is.

Journalists for major papers like the Boston Globe still need sources to back up their tweets. This isn't just some hobbyist with a lot of free time and a new iPhone.

This is true, but the standard of what gets out in the twitter-verse versus what one would call a legitimate report can still be vastly different. Seriously, I know journalists that pull their hair out over stuff like this.

This club deserves no excuse making, IMHO.

They botched Balfour, but there were/are a million SP options that make sense for this club. They passed/lost on Colon, Hudson, Burnett, Arroyo, Garza...and if this continues they'll lose out on Jimenez, Santana, and the rest.

This club is really hard to root for. I'm trying to abstract out Angelos from all of this, but he's the freakin' devil.

Exactly. They'res always a new excuse. If you didn't want to give up a pick, fine. Then you should have signed Colon/Hudson/Arroyo/Garza/Burnett. Stop crying out different excuses, FO. We're not that dumb.

Exactly. They'res always a new excuse. If you didn't want to give up a pick, fine. Then you should have signed Colon/Hudson/Arroyo/Garza/Burnett. Stop crying out different excuses, FO. We're not that dumb.

If you really wanted to sign those guys, i mean REALLY wanted to....outside of Burnett, I'll give ya him.

You can't force a free agent to sign here. The FO made offers to Arroyo and Burnett that were good ones from what we've heard.

They also possibly made Balfour an offer after the physical that he rejected depending on what report you believe.

If they don't want to sign here for whatever reason, the only way to force their hands is to blow them away with the proverbial "wow" offer. None of these guys is worth going way over market.

What is Morales' asking price. Anyone? It's absurd to complain about the FO without knowing that number. $17 per? I wouldn't do it. $20? Who knows.

Santana was allegedly (through the same rumor mill as we're hearing about Morales) asking for a $100M deal. Was it awful that DD didn't cut him a check for that? Of course not.

I have a well taken care of 2012 Camry that I'd like to sell you for $40K. Don't want to pay it? Why so cheap?!

After the whole Burnett fiasco and over reaction, I am not sure what to believe anymore. Who the heck would leak this? Morales's agent? Now, I could see DD going in there and telling him "Here's our best offer, and my total authority, I will not go back to ask for more." I do have a questions, is Cafardo a legit unbiased reporter from Boston?

What Burnett fiasco? He wanted to stay in the NL. As for this report it is best to

take it with a grain of salt. IMO

You know that for a fact? I don't. I'm skeptical because PA has a history of restricting his GM's, he doesn't have one of giving them free reign.

I don't know it for a fact, but both of us agree that in either of our "most likely scenarios," Angelos is NOT necessarily restricting DD. I'm still skeptical, but I think people should bear that in mind before accepting Cafardo's tweet at face value. Do you agree?

"[Nick] Cafardo hears that the Pirates aren't willing to forfeit the draft pick they would need to sign Morales. He also hears that Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price."

"Showalter would prefer a full-time DH, "and I think we have the potential to have some better contributions out of the DH spot this year. But how many DH-only (players) are there?"

These two bits of information making it to the public lead me to believe that both Duquette and Showalter feel that Morales is a necessary addition and Peter Angelos is

thwarting them. And they aren't willing to fall on the sword for him.

Piecing together the extending of Buck and Dan's contracts and the inexplicable events of this offseasion, such as punting on obvious helpful pieces in what is by all accounts a "go-for-it-soon" team, I can only conclude that PA is following his cold, calculating business crusade even to the extent of bait-and-switching his GM and Manager.

I completely disagree. Going nuclear (throwing their boss under the bus) for Kendrys Morales is not a viable option for DD and Buck.

They are way too intelligent to waste that bullet on Morales.

Archived