Schoop a big, strong man

Slade-OH

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is also important to point out that this is the weight he is reporting to ST as. I believe it was Markakis who loses over 10 lbs a year over the course of the season, and it seems possible that Schoop reported much bigger for that reason. As somebody pointed out before, he seems to have added substantial mass to his legs.

Are we overlooking the potential here? If he has grown this big at 21-22, the sky may be the limit for this kid. Looking at those pictures, if he keeps himself in shape, he could be a power machine. Wonder what scout found him. And how he convinced AM (I think) to sign him. Man, I hope his back holds up.

While I have little doubt that Schoop is a big, strong man and a fine athlete, I want him to prove that he is going to make contact with the ball regularly enough for his power to matter, and is going to find other ways to get on base. He had a .301 OBP at Norfolk last year and .271 in the AFL last fall. That doesn't suggest he is ready to play in the majors and post an OBP we can accept. No matter what he does this spring, he should return to Norfolk and show us he can get his OBP back in the range it was when he played at Frederick (.329) and Bowie (.324). I'd rather let Flaherty post his .280-.290 OBP (assuming no improvement) rather than rushing Schoop to the majors so he can do the same thing (or worse).

By the way, I think Schoop has great potential. I just want him developed fully so he can realize that potential and help the team.

Jonathan Rufino Jezus Schoop of Curacao. Represented the Netherlands in the WBC. I always assumed Rufino was Italian, not sure about the roots of the rest of his name. Jonathan must be western Europe, Netherlands. Jezus is not the normal latino "Jesus", but no clue where that comes from. Just interesting to me.

Schoop also Dutch, and Jezus Hebrew for Jesus possibly.

Fair enough

Always nice to have a little leverage/fallback with the Hardy negotiations - for those of us who REALLY want JJ here for the next 2-3 years. (Me included.)

Heck, if he can play 2nd, great. Cal was oversized at short and he played well. I don't think size is always indicative of physical skill either.

I don't want to take him off second until we have to. He loses a bunch of value if he plays 3rd. Machado to short' date=' andSchoop at second...until they show they can't do it. Too much potential value.[/quote']

Just remember defense takes on a greater importance with a pitching staff with an unimpressive K rate.

Archived