Gausman still could be the fifth starter right away

accinfo

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gausman went 4 2/3 tonight & is now out. Allowed 0 runs, 2 hits with 6 Ks. Left after reaching pitch count. Strong outing to start his year.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gausman went 4 2/3 tonight & is now out. Allowed 0 runs, 2 hits with 6 Ks. Left after reaching pitch count. Strong outing to start his year.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He'll have limited starts like this while he's down there to keep his innings under control and then he'll be able to contribute as a starter when he's needed.

He'll have limited starts like this while he's down there to keep his innings under control and then he'll be able to contribute as a starter when he's needed.

The only thing I don't like about that approach is, how can the guy be prepared to throw 6+ innings on a regular basis once he's called up if he's been limited to 5 IP against minor leaguers for an extended period?

The only thing I don't like about that approach is, how can the guy be prepared to throw 6+ innings on a regular basis once he's called up if he's been limited to 5 IP against minor leaguers for an extended period?

It won't stay like that. I'm almost sure they ramp him up after a certain number just so they know his innings limit won't be hit with us and he can pitch into the PS if needed.

The velocity numbers are great but I still get the feeling when I watch Gausman that he's not able to challenge guys with his fastball over the plate. I watched Yordano Ventura the other night. He's impressive. Gausman's got a ways to go. Feels like Gausman needs to spot his fastball to be successful and he's not consistently good at that yet. Tillman throws 91-93 most of the time and it seems as if his fastball is less hittable than Gausman's.

Did you watch the game? I didn't, but curious if this is from previous outings or this one.

It almost seems as though he'd be better off pitching backwards and setting up his fastball with his offspeed stuff.

Odd to say that about a guy who throws that hard.

Not really, he's learning and may not have yet. His command in the zone is his biggest issue for me and he may find that sacrificing a few mph may be to his benefit.

I'm pretty sure Tillman can throw harder, but has learned that it doesn't mean much if he's getting hit all over the park. I've heard Buck echo those sentiments.

Developing his slider and keeping his innings total down may not be the only thing in front of him.

Archived