Gausman still could be the fifth starter right away

accinfo

Not really, he's learning and may not have yet. His command in the zone is his biggest issue for me and he may find that sacrificing a few mph may be to his benefit.

I'm pretty sure Tillman can throw harder, but has learned that it doesn't mean much if he's getting hit all over the park. I've heard Buck echo those sentiments.

Developing his slider and keeping his innings total down may not be the only thing in front of him.

Tillman hit 96 last time out and ive seen him hit 97 before, so hes definitely going for control moreso than power. But it would still be nice to have that one guy in the rotation that constantly hits 97 after a team has just seen a few guys in the series topping at 92.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman hit 96 last time out and ive seen him hit 97 before, so hes definitely going for control moreso than power. But it would still be nice to have that one guy in the rotation that constantly hits 97 after a team has just seen a few guys in the series topping at 92.

Sure beats having five junkball throwers! :)

Kevin Gausman gave up two earned runs for the Tides today, he was topping out at 99, his final line was

IP 4 H 4 R 3 ER 2 BB 3 K 4 - 69 pitches 43 strikes

Gausman has a long way to go if he is going to pitch with the big club. Neither game has he completed 5 innings. 71 pitches last game 69 pitches this game. Why isn't he throwing more pitches?

Gausman has a long way to go if he is going to pitch with the big club. Neither game has he completed 5 innings. 71 pitches last game 69 pitches this game. Why isn't he throwing more pitches?

Because he didn't throw a lot of innings last year and they don't want to overextend him this year. They are limiting his outings early in the year so they won't have to late in the year. That's why he had no chance of making the rotation out of spring training. He will be up when they don't have to hold him back.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin Gausman was fighting a cold today -- sore throat, sinuses, etc. Still, 4 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 69 pitches. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Tides&src=hash">#Tides</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— David Hall (@DavidHallVP) <a href="

">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Because he didn't throw a lot of innings last year and they don't want to overextend him this year. They are limiting his outings early in the year so they won't have to late in the year. That's why he had no chance of making the rotation out of spring training. He will be up when they don't have to hold him back.

Limiting innings doesn't work. Look at Bundy. I read an article awhile back and it compared guys who were limited like this and those that weren't and the guys who were limited got more arm injuries. If they want to let him be a starter let him pitch.

My guess is they are intentionally limiting his exposure so he's a solid ML opinion this summer.

Kevin Gausman gave up two earned runs for the Tides today, he was topping out at 99, his final line was

IP 4 H 4 R 3 ER 2 BB 3 K 4 - 69 pitches 43 strikes

Velocity is so overrated. 4 hits, 3 walks, 3 runs, 2 earned runs in 4 IP in AAA? That's a very mediocre outing and I really don't care how hard he was throwing. The idea that he's ready to waltz into the majors right now and be materially better than the guys in our rotation is laughable. Folks should let the guy learn about professional pitching instead of being in a big rush because he can throw 99 and has a good change-up.

Limiting innings doesn't work. Look at Bundy. I read an article awhile back and it compared guys who were limited like this and those that weren't and the guys who were limited got more arm injuries. If they want to let him be a starter let him pitch.

That is not what James Andrews says. And Bundy was over used as a high schooler.

I don't mean this to sound as mean as it does, but it doesn't matter what you think. This is what Peterson and Buck and DD et al think. ~30 more innings than last year. He gets 170-180 this year. That is why he won't be starting in Baltimore probably All Star break or so. You can't have him pitching in the majors on a 70 pitch limit. It is what it is.

And yes, look at Bundy. Rehabbing from TJ surgery.

You think "good" is an accurate description of his change-up?

What adjective would you prefer? I'm really not in much of a mood to debate wording. When he's consistently dominating in AAA games, I'll be interested in seeing him in the majors.

What adjective would you prefer? I'm really not in much of a mood to debate wording. When he's consistently dominating in AAA games, I'll be interested in seeing him in the majors.

I think plus or maybe plus plus would be more accurate. Maybe great if you want to steer away from actual baseball terms for some reason. Bugs Bunny if you are feeling particularly animated.

When I hear good I think slightly above average.

Velocity is so overrated. 4 hits, 3 walks, 3 runs, 2 earned runs in 4 IP in AAA? That's a very mediocre outing and I really don't care how hard he was throwing. The idea that he's ready to waltz into the majors right now and be materially better than the guys in our rotation is laughable. Folks should let the guy learn about professional pitching instead of being in a big rush because he can throw 99 and has a good change-up.

Lol wut? As if guys like Clayton Kershaw or David Price never had WORSE performances than that at triple A. You do realize that guys arent perfecr and that they also use AAA to work or their weaknesses right? Oberreaction much?

Archived