Gausman still could be the fifth starter right away

accinfo

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Gausman would have to look extremely good and one of Gonzo or Norris would have to look very bad for Gausman to win a spot in ST (barring injury).

Gausman looking very sharp won't be enough, Buck favors his vets more then that.

Its not likely, I agree.

But its fun to imagine :)

I think Gausman would have to look extremely good and one of Gonzo or Norris would have to look very bad for Gausman to win a spot in ST (barring injury).

Gausman looking very sharp won't be enough, Buck favors his vets more then that.

If Gausman starts the season in Norfolk, I think that's an organizational decision more than Buck stubbornly staying with a veteran. I think that Buck goes with who he believes can help him win and is inclined to believe a veteran is more likely to do that than an unproven rookie. But, that didn't stop him from playing Manny and I don't think it would stop him from playing Gausman - if he truly believe that Gausman is ready.

If Gausman starts the season in Norfolk, I think that's an organizational decision more than Buck stubbornly staying with a veteran. I think that Buck goes with who he believes can help him win and is inclined to believe a veteran is more likely to do that than an unproven rookie. But, that didn't stop him from playing Manny and I don't think it would stop him from playing Gausman - if he truly believe that Gausman is ready.

How does that jibe with Roberts in 2012? He clearly wasn't ready to play yet Buck had him out there every day until he re-injured himself.

If we trade Norris, what happens when Chen's knee flares up or Gonzales' shoulder gets tight? We'd be in the same place as we were pre Jimenez. I'm excited about Gausman, but want to keep the depth.

Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency.

Just by the comments Showalter is making about how hard he is going this decision I think if he pitches well he may make this club out of spring. Especially if they can flip Norris for a real good setup/possible closer.

I would venture to say only if they can flip Norris for something of value

How does that jibe with Roberts in 2012? He clearly wasn't ready to play yet Buck had him out there every day until he re-injured himself.

Or in 2013 when Flarhety was obviously starting to heat up and probably the better defender.

I agree Gausman has to really show something special combined with an injury or flop of someone else.

Archived