Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers

xian4

I strongly disagree. I think he would have made it at least until Manny returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think he was a very logical choice to make the team with Manny out. Especially considering ability to play 3rd and hit LHP.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This trade really makes sense for both teams.

The Tigers have a desperate need now. They get a guy and give up an asset that may be overall more valuable, but isn't tough to replace.

The O's don't need a SS, so they replace him with a marginal upgrade at UIF.

Both teams win. Good deal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette on trade: "I think the Tigers needed a shortstop more than we needed a veteran third baseman." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who was the player we had for a couple of days then let go earlier this spring? I bring that up wondering if David Adams is a lock to be on the 40 man.

Yeah Adams would be another possibilty. Maybe a strong possibility to make the team now. I watched him with the Yankees. He's reputationally a good defender at third and second, though I wasn't overly impressed watching him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lombardozzi to O's. In minors:.298/.369/.411. In MLB:.264/.297/.342. Can he get 1/2-way back to minors <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23s&src=hash">#s</a>? If so O's filled their void at 2d</p>— Thomas Boswell (@ThomasBoswellWP) <a href="

Well, consider Gonzalez had a 0.87% chance of making the 25, he's pretty close.

I think your percentage is way off. Until the trade, Gonzalez had an outside shot at starting at 3B with Flaherty moving to second to start the year and had a good chance of making the team as a utility player. One scout told me he had "the best glove at SS and 3B besides the starters (Machado and Hardy)" and he was showing a decent bat this spring.

I don't necessarily think this trade is bad, but I'm guessing Gonzalez's lack of experience at second base became an issue. Still, this trade seems to indicate Duquette wants Schoop to start the year in AAA. In a vacuum, I guess I just don't see how Lombardozzi improves the team over Gonzalez. He's a versatile guy, but the lack of power and speed limits his value as a utility guy in my opinion. Honestly, I'd probably keep Castillo over Lombardozzi just because he brings speed to the table.

Still, this trade seems to indicate Duquette wants Schoop to start the year in AAA

This is my take as well. Flaherty 3B, Lombardozzi 2B to open the season with Schoop at AAA. Weeks or Casilla UT/Inf. Maybe this increases Almanzar's chances, although he seems like a real longshot to me if we can't work out a trade to keep him.

I thought Lombardozzi is 6/6 in stolen bases this spring? Can he really be that slow?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lombardozzi to O's. In minors:.298/.369/.411. In MLB:.264/.297/.342. Can he get 1/2-way back to minors <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23s&src=hash">#s</a>? If so O's filled their void at 2d</p>— Thomas Boswell (@ThomasBoswellWP) <a href="

C'mon Bos. I watched enough Nats ball last season to see that Lombardozzi doesn't have a whole lot of talent. He wasn't even a good backup. He did well the year before, but the league adjusted to him. He just looks overmatched as a major leaguer.

Archived