Lurking: Ryan Flaherty?

Frobby

With all the attention on Jonathan Schoop this spring, not many have mentioned that Ryan Flaherty had a very solid spring: .294/.351/.529. Not too meaningful, obviously, but the year he was a Rule 5 pick he hit .232/.283/.393 in the spring, and then last year .216/.310/.471. Both years he started off the season super cold, then closed relatively strongly. Maybe this year he'll get off to a better start and sustain decent numbers throughout the year.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the attention on Jonathan Schoop this spring, not many have mentioned that Ryan Flaherty had a very solid spring: .294/.351/.529. Not too meaningful, obviously, but the year he was a Rule 5 pick he hit .232/.283/.393 in the spring, and then last year .216/.310/.471. Both years he started off the season super cold, then closed relatively strongly. Maybe this year he'll get off to a better start and sustain decent numbers throughout the year.

Is this going to jinx him ;)

Buck has said that this is the year the O's need to find out how good Flaherty can be. He will need to get playing time for that to happen.

The O's finding out how good Flaherty and Schoop are may be holding up the decision on Hardy's extension.

I admit I have not looked at his numbers closely (namely his splits), but I have thought the OH has seemed to underestimate his potential. Good topic. I am interested to hear from those who know more than me.

The O's finding out how good Flaherty and Schoop are may be holding up the decision on Hardy's extension.

I know this might make some people uncomfortable but this might be our future. Next year our IF could see wholesale changes except for Ryan at 2B, with Manny at SS and Schoop at 3B

I know this might make some people uncomfortable but this might be our future. Next year our IF could see wholesale changes except for Ryan at 2B, with Manny at SS and Schoop at 3B

If DD wants to sign Davis then maybe he will need the 40-50M that would otherwise go to Hardy.

If DD wants to sign Davis he'll need 4 times that much.

If one adds the 10-12m aper year a hardy extension should cost to the 10 & 15m Davis is likely earning this year and next, extending him doesn't alter the current payroll structure drastically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If DD wants to sign Davis then maybe he will need the 40-50M that would otherwise go to Hardy.

This. I've said in many threads before that I expect Flaherty on all cylinders to equal Hardy's career slash line of:

.260/.312/.428/.740 with 20+ dingers. I also think that Flash could fill in admirably with the glove at SS. I think that as of now, with JJ unsigned, the default is for Flash to take over SS, Schoop to slide into 2nd, and Manny to stay at 3B. The 13M/yr that it would take to sign JJ can and should and will be used to extend Crush. Or maybe Manny will slide over to short and Flash will take over at 3B. Either way, I expect Ryan to get and earn a fulltime IF slot this season and to carry that over into 2015.

Buck has said that this is the year the O's need to find out how good Flaherty can be. He will need to get playing time for that to happen.

This! Only reason I can see for DD's backpedaling on his statement the he wanted Hardy done before the start of the regular season. Hardy (or his agent more to it) hasn't heard WORD ONE on an extension.

He's gone. Let loose like Reynolds was. Very sad and a bad move to me.

Archived