The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 45, May 20

I haven't had a chance to watch a game in a week, so this thread had a little hiatus.

Manny started a spectacular DP where he made a diving stop fully extended into the joke, quickly threw from the ground to Schoop, who made a throw that Davis scooped.

Schoop made a leaping stab of a line drive that showed he's hot very good hops.

Later, Schoop made a really nice backhand flip to Hardy to start a double play. There was a very smooth 6-4-3 DP as well.

Caleb Joseph also did a nice job corralling a potential wild pitch.

Overall, that was a 2013 game on defense.

Still lead the league in fielding % even though this feels like a down defensive year. Tonight was impressive.

The defense hasn't been as good as last year, but with our infield now healthy and Schoop settling in nicely at 2B, we're getting there.

Game 50, May 27

Lots of Manny action in this game. He made an error early in the game (I don't know the details), made an excellent play on a swinging bunt later in the game, and then failed to make the play on Lucroy's swinging bunt in the 9th that tied the game. RZNJ thinks it should have been an error, but I don't. Tough play, that Manny often makes, but not an error in my book.

On the game-winning hit, both Lough and Jones were about 3 feet from the wall when the ball hit it and ricocheted back towards the IF. I think if Jones had positioned himself to play the carom, Reynolds would have had to stop at 3B, or at the very least, the play at home would have been close. I'm not necessarily faulting Jones, as the ball was hit very hard and there wasn't much chance for the two outfielders to communicate.

Game 50, May 27

Lots of Manny action in this game. He made an error early in the game (I don't know the details), made an excellent play on a swinging bunt later in the game, and then failed to make the play on Lucroy's swinging bunt in the 9th that tied the game. RZNJ thinks it should have been an error, but I don't. Tough play, that Manny often makes, but not an error in my book.

On the game-winning hit, both Lough and Jones were about 3 feet from the wall when the ball hit it and ricocheted back towards the IF. I think if Jones had positioned himself to play the carom, Reynolds would have had to stop at 3B, or at the very least, the play at home would have been close. I'm not necessarily faulting Jones, as the ball was hit very hard and there wasn't much chance for the two outfielders to communicate.

I wouldn't fault Manny on that last play. It was a play the platinum glove Manny makes maybe 60 % of the time. This year's Manny is not yet a platinum glove.

This thread has been a bit dormant of late but I couldn't pass up the outstanding play Caleb Joseph made on the 8th inning bunt tonight. He leaped out from behind the plate, barehanded the ball and in one motion fired a strike to nab the lead runner by inches. Truly outstanding.

Davis also made a nice diving stab of a grounder in the hole, and earlier started and finished a tough 3-6-3 DP.

This thread has been a bit dormant of late but I couldn't pass up the outstanding play Caleb Joseph made on the 8th inning bunt tonight. He leaped out from behind the plate, barehanded the ball and in one motion fired a strike to nab the lead runner by inches. Truly outstanding.

Davis also made a nice diving stab of a grounder in the hole.

Threw a Matt Wieters worthy cannon rope to second! Great play and very important in the game.

Davis also made a nice diving stab of a grounder in the hole, and earlier started and finished a tough 3-6-3 DP.

Davis also started the sweet 3-6-3 DP. Only DP I love more is the 1-2-3.

Archived