The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 24, April 27

Adam Jones had an interesting day. He dropped a ball for a three-base error leading to a run in the first. He misjudged a ball that went over his head for a two-run double in the 7th. He also made a nice running catch in the RF gap at the wall (he may have made it look a bit harder than it was by jumping and then catching it shoulder high, but still a good catch).

David Lough dropped a ball after playing it off the LF wall and getting ready to throw, allowing a runner to score from 1B. Later, he made a tremendous leaping, diving catch racing back in the LCF gap. Maybe the best OF play I've seen by an Oriole this year.

Nick, playing 1B, screwed up a rundown play when he threw the ball over the head of the guy covering 2B. Luckily the runner did not advance to 2B, but he should have been out.

Clevenger allowed a wild pitch to go right between his legs. It was rightfully scored a WP but it was a ball Wieters blocks 90% of the time.

Game 24, April 27

Adam Jones had an interesting day. He dropped a ball for a three-base error leading to a run in the first. He misjudged a ball that went over his head for a two-run double in the 7th. He also made a nice running catch in the RF gap at the wall (he may have made it look a bit harder than it was by jumping and then catching it shoulder high, but still a good catch).

David Lough dropped a ball after playing it off the LF wall and getting ready to throw, allowing a runner to score from 1B. Later, he made a tremendous leaping, diving catch racing back in the LCF gap. Maybe the best OF play I've seen by an Oriole this year.

Nick, playing 1B, screwed up a rundown play when he threw the ball over the head of the guy covering 2B. Luckily the runner did not advance to 2B, but he should have been out. And he later scored. ftfy

Clevenger allowed a wild pitch to go right between his legs. It was rightfully scored a WP but it was a ball Wieters blocks 90% of the time.

I won't even comment on the one he dropped. I just went back and watched the one in the 7th and like I thought earlier today even though he misjudged the ball it's to his left and he has his glove turned the wrong way. A RH fielder moving to his left to make a play on a ball that he has to reach for would normally backhand the ball. Jones does not. Just another of about three things he does wrong on the play.

Lough's catch was spectacular. I'd miss seeing that on a regular basis, but he's pathetic at the plate.

Schoop made what I thought was a good play on a ball down the line with a strong throw to 1st.

Game 25, May 1

I didn't see this game, so if something noteworthy happened, someone else needs to post it.

Game 26, May 1

Manny's first game back. He dove for a sharp grounder down the 3B line and just missed it, and almost looked like he couldn't believe he didn't get it, even though it would have been a SportsCenter Top 10 play if he made it. Later, he made a diving attempt to catch a pop bunt in foul territory, but was about a foot short. He had a slow roller in front of him where he made a strong throw from an awkard angle. Finally, he cut off a very slow chopper that was heading towards Hardy and fired a throw that nailed the runner by a half-step -- a very good play that an average 3B would not have made. Overall, a very good defensive performance but he might have made one or both of the first two plays if he was fully back at "Manny level."

Patton fielded a sac bunt to the 3B side but seemed to double clutch a bit and his throw was accurate but not thrown with much velocity, and the runner beat the throw to 1B. Later, another batter hit a swinging bunt to the 3B side and Matusz pounced on it very quickly and fired a very strong throw from a somewhat awkward angle to beat the runner. I think the play Mautsz made was actually more difficult than the one Patton didn't make, though it was close.

There was a point late in the game when McCuthcheon was on 1B and the pitcher bounced one in that Wieters blocked and they showed McCutcheon making a face that said, "did he really just block that?"

Markakis made a nice catch when he was playing very shallow and the batter hit a high fly that went about to the warning track. The ball was hit high enough where Nick was able to get there, but it was still a fairly tough catch because it was hit almost directly over his head and he had a long way to travel.

In game 1 Flaherty misplayed a ground ball that would have ended the game. It must have just taken a wicked hop or he misjudged it, could happen to anybody but still frustrating and made the ending more climactic than you'd like.

Game 25, May 1

I didn't see this game, so if something noteworthy happened, someone else needs to post it.

Pearce made a great stop early in the game on a bullet grounder to first. Easily would have been a double. Instead he ended the inning.

In game 1 Flaherty misplayed a ground ball that would have ended the game. It must have just taken a wicked hop or he misjudged it, could happen to anybody but still frustrating and made the ending more climactic than you'd like.

Thanks. I heard this play on the radio and they described it as the ball taking a very weird hop, but from the announcers' reaction I still had the sense that "Manny would have had it."

Thanks. I heard this play on the radio and they described it as the ball taking a very weird hop, but from the announcers' reaction I still had the sense that "Manny would have had it."

My thought watching the play was that he should have charged it and taken it out of the air before that hop. I'm not so sure he would have had time to get the runner at 1st even if he catches it, the way he played it.

Pearce made a great stop early in the game on a bullet grounder to first. Easily would have been a double. Instead he ended the inning.

That was a good play by Pearce.

Here was the heads up double play everyone mentioned:

double-play-pearce.gif

Game 27, May 2

Manny with a diving stop of a one hop smash in the hole. Probably web gem worthy. He missed another one to the 3B side in the 9th that most would have no chance to stop but with Manny you half expect him to stop anything no matter what.

Schoop made an error on a pretty routine ball at 2B.

Game 28, May 3

Manny made an error trying to throw out a runner on a soft grounder. The runner advanced to 2B on the play and eventually scored.

Hardy made a tough throw from the hole that bounced and Pearce couldn't handle the hop. It went as an error for Hardy but I think most 1B handle that throw.

A strike three got behind Clevenger and he made a throw that was well to the foul side of 1B and a little high, but Pearce did a good job to snag the throw and keep a toe on the bag on a pretty close play at 1B.

Archived