The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/30)

4 innings into the game, and 2 excellent defensive plays have already been made by the Orioles.

Nick Markakis' made a diving catch to end the 3rd inning.

Manny Machado went WAY beyond the 3rd baseline to backhand the ball, and threw it to Steve Pearce (who also made a nice adjustment and stretch) to end the 4th inning.

12 up, 12 down so far for Gausman.

I loved Cal Joseph's pick and throw to nab Hamilton on attempted steal in sixth inning. Hardy received ball as Hamilton slid into tag - ridiculous and Wieters-like!

Wasn't that Flaherty?

Your boy? Nah :o

I stand corrected, nekkid and alone out here.....you are good! :clap3:

Flash is good for something other than a "whipping boy" ;) Per Buck;

"Really good defensive game for us I thought was the difference. Manny (Machado) made two good plays and Stevie (Pearce) made two good plays and Nicky (Markakis) made a great play. Caleb (Joseph) made a great throw and (Ryan) Flaherty made a great tag. Other than the good pitching, that was the difference in the game."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/07/showalter-on-gausman-jones.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/31)

I am absolutely speechless about what I just saw Manny Machado do in the top of the 11th inning.

I think Albert Pujols must think he is Lee May or Johnny Bench in the 1970 World Series after what he experienced the last two days. Manny had an unbelievabke couple of days in the field. Also, Pearce's diving stab of a smash down the 1B line and a couple of nice picks on bouncing throws have been on display the last two nights, not to mention Markakis' diving catch on Wednesday and the Joseph/Flaherty throw and tag.

I think Albert Pujols must think he is Lee May or Johnny Bench in the 1970 World Series after what he experienced the last two days. Manny had an unbelievabke couple of days in the field. Also, Pearce's diving stab of a smash down the 1B line and a couple of nice picks on bouncing throws have been on display the last two nights, not to mention Markakis' diving catch on Wednesday and the Joseph/Flaherty throw and tag.

He is making a good case for best defensive player in the Majors.

Of course Albert returned the favor a few times. That play on Cruz may have saved extra bases.

Manny's defense seems to be back to 2012-13 form. Even with Pujols running that was an impressive play. Not only did he have to make a hard transfer from the snow-cone catch, the umpire was standing right in front of him. Great focus and of course an incredible throw. We are starting to see these every other night or so. That misplay on the Lucroy swinging bunt earlier in the season Manny probably makes right now.

He's the best defender I've seen. I'm not old enough to have watched Brooks. The only other player that compares from my viewing experience is Roberto Alomar. And I think Manny makes significantly more "I-can't-believe-he-did-that" plays than Alomar.

He's the best defender I've seen. I'm not old enough to have watched Brooks. The only other player that compares from my viewing experience is Roberto Alomar. And I think Manny makes significantly more "I-can't-believe-he-did-that" plays than Alomar.

Simmons in Atl is right there with him. Amazing defender at short.

Archived