The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

Hardy gets so little love. Today on XM MLB they were talking about the best SS/3B combos. No one seemed to realize that Hardy is a perennial top 5 defensive SS, better than Tulo or Andrus. Just check their numbers the past 3 years. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,d

Who was mentioned? Were Machado-Hardy left off the list? Because that would seemingly be a travesty since both made the AS game last year and have a pair of 2013 GGs (and a platinum glove and a silver slugger)!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watching the game from close range tonight, I thought it's just impossible to overstate the importance of Hardy and Machado being on the field for the O's.

In addition to the double play, Hardy made another exceptional play on a hard smash hit right at him, and Machado made a tough play look easy as he took a short hop, looked the runner back to second, and fired to first for the out.

Early in the game, Longoria made a diving backhand stop of the ball and threw from his knees to first, but didn't get the runner (he did save a run). My first thought was, "Manny would have had him." That may or may not be true, but damn that infield of ours is good.

Yeah, that smash that JJ came up with was nothing less than spectacular.

I'm telling you watch it again and then maybe once more and you still won't get an idea of just how fast that ball was rocketed off the bat and the kind of hop it takes in that mausoleum they call a stadium in TB.

JJ has a great pair of hands. He is a great example for kids in my estimation as someone who plays the game technically sound. Your kid wants to play SS, then watch JJ Hardy. It's like How to Video for the game of baseball.

That play he made on that ball probably didn't make top ten for the night because he just makes it look too easy, but it wasn't. It just about knocked him off balance it was hit so hard. Hands in perfect position, soft to receive the ball, and then straighten up and throw a perfect strike to 1st.

That is how you do it, folks.

Hardy gets such a quick release and is so accurate on the DP feed. There also was a play where Manny fielded a high chopper on a short hop and quickly fired a perfect feed to Schoop that beat the runner by a split second and almost led to a DP. Most 3B either don't get it to 2B in time, or don't even try for the lead runner on that play.

Hardy gets such a quick release and is so accurate on the DP feed. There also was a play where Manny fielded a high chopper on a short hop and quickly fired a perfect feed to Schoop that beat the runner by a split second and almost led to a DP. Most 3B either don't get it to 2B in time, or don't even try for the lead runner on that play.

Yup. I made the exact same point to the person with me at the game.

Hardy gets so little love. Today on XM MLB they were talking about the best SS/3B combos. No one seemed to realize that Hardy is a perennial top 5 defensive SS, better than Tulo or Andrus. Just check their numbers the past 3 years. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,d

Just noting, Jeter is #39 out of 40 on that list.

frobby,

I'm so glad you started this defensive thread. I personally feel that a team's defensive skills are just as important as any combination of offensive stats. If I were a free agent pitcher my decision on where to sign would certainly be based on the team's defensive stats and performance and were among the best and consistent of the teams their division. I'm not sure if anyone has compiled a formula that can be use to predict the quality of pitching , number of wins and starts, gb / fb, or similar pitching stats.

Omar Wessel

CumberlandFan

All I can think of tonight is thank god the transfer rule isn't still in effect. Schoop and Hardy bobbled transfers in the sixth on a lineout and force play respectively. Both plays would have been errors 3 weeks ago, and we were lucky they were called outs tonight (even though they both were outs -- barely).

Well even under the old rule the O's would have gotten an out on the Schoop play because he threw to second after he dropped it. If it wasn't a lineout then the runner at first would have been forced out at second.

I thought Nick made a nice play on the line drive hit by Hoes to limit him to a sac fly in the third. Off the bat it looked like that one might fall in or even make the gap.

I did not see the whole game either but don't remember any notable plays besides that one. A couple of big double plays but they were pretty routine.

Weird hop that hit the heel of his glove but it's a play healthy Manny makes.

We are going to have to accept that this year's Manny will not be last year's Manny. You don't just come back from an injury like that and be the same guy. Next year maybe.

I don't think he's not healthy now, he just didn't have spring training this year. Once he gets the reps, I think he'll be as good as ever.

Weird hop that hit the heel of his glove but it's a play healthy Manny makes.

We are going to have to accept that this year's Manny will not be last year's Manny. You don't just come back from an injury like that and be the same guy. Next year maybe.

With or without the injury it isn't likely that Manny would duplicate last season's success. A year like that, you have to expect some decline.

With or without the injury it isn't likely that Manny would duplicate last season's success. A year like that, you have to expect some decline.
Maybe. but he is still learning the position, and as a rule players improve on defense to their mid 20's. He may not put up the numbers this year that he did last but in the next 2-3 years I could see him having a better season with the glove.

Jones made an error picking up a single in LCF. His drop allowed the batter to reach 2B.

Manny made a nice play cutting in front of Hardy on a slow chopper and firing to first for a bang-bang out that was upheld by the replay official after a challenge. Very close play.

There was a play at 3B on a stolen base where it seemed like Manny was a little slow applying the tag, and the runner was safe.

In the 9th, Schoop did a nice job charging a hopper between the mound and 2B and making a quick throw home to catch a runner trying to come home with the tying run.

Maybe. but he is still learning the position, and as a rule players improve on defense to their mid 20's. He may not put up the numbers this year that he did last but in the next 2-3 years I could see him having a better season with the glove.

Is that a rule?

I don't think that is a rule.

I think defense peaks early, defense and velocity.

(I do agree that it is possible he improves, just when you have a near historic season it is a lot easier to go down then up.)

Archived