How many wins will the closer role cost the Orioles?

Barnaby Graves

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark, Do you have a point?
Wasn't the OP's point Hunter shouldn't be the closer based on his career splits? I posted O'Day's splits from last year and his career. They are not equal. Showing that what a player does one season doesn't mean that is what he's going to do another. That regression and progression can be had by any player. If not Hunter, who? Who is a better choice to be the closer? Who has the stuff and splits to garner enough confidence here? My guess is, that pitcher isn't currently on our team!

That's not what he said and not the way I would take what he said.

Wouldn't Koji be better if he could also throw 99?

That is how I read it.

As for Koji throwing 99, I have no idea how the additional velocity would effect his split fingered pitch, which is more important then his fastball.

That is how I read it.

As for Koji throwing 99, I have no idea how the additional velocity would effect his split fingered pitch, which is more important then his fastball.

Why would it have to effect his split finger? Just because he would throw it harder doesn't mean it would be less effective.

It might. The added velocity might mean he wouldn't need as much movement to keep it's success.

Not sure I buy this.

Movement is a must, or the 100 MPH heater gets hit and turns into a 250 MPH Home Run onto Eutaw street.

Remember Brad Pennington, one of the hardest throwing lefties back in his time, maybe 1993?

He could throw hard, but he would get hit hard.

Not sure I buy this. Movement is a must, or the 100 MPH heater gets hit and turns into a 250 MPH Home Run onto Eutaw street. Remember Brad Pennington, one of the hardest throwing lefties back in his time, maybe 1993? He could throw hard, but he would get hit hard.
The harder one throws the more mistakes they can get away with. If a pitcher throws 90 with no movement they have very little room for mistakes. If they throw 100 with no movement there are many hitters who won't be able to hit him no matter what, they can't catch up. Those who can it will depend on location how well they hit it. For the most part less velocity needs more movement and or better command. Greater the velocity the less movement and location is important. Not saying it's not important. I remember Brad Lee. I don't remember him throwing above 95-96 and he had no idea where it was going. Threw alot of straight fastballs down the middle.

The harder one throws the more mistakes they can get away with. If a pitcher throws 90 with no movement they have very little room for mistakes. If they throw 100 with no movement there are many hitters who won't be able to hit him no matter what, they can't catch up. Those who can it will depend on location how well they hit it. For the most part less velocity needs more movement and or better command. Greater the velocity the less movement and location is important. Not saying it's not important.

Pennington's ERA was over 6 twice, 12 once and over 8 once.

I remember the coaches and the announcers kept saying, you can't teach heat, it's God given.

The guy could throw 100, but with no movement.

That is how I read it.

In one circumstance, I'd rather have the heat. Koji is wonderful when healthy. I cheered for him yesterday. I like a closer with 100. Koji is an outlier

Archived